2009 - 2014 F-150

Creative GPS solutions for XLT

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creative GPS solutions for XLT

I have an XLT and am going to be buying a new gps. I have a handheld (for outdoors) with the maps for streets on it, but it just doesnt cut it.

I dont really want to leave it permanently suction cupped to the windshield. Is there anyone that has made a mount or found something to put it in dash? I was thinking maybe about the other hole /cubby location opposite the trailer brake. I havent measured or thought this over but am looking for ideas. Thanks

Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
get a gps stereo system that fits into the dash

Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am running a Garmin nuvi 5000 with the video input for backup camera. I have it mounted using a Pro Clip mount above the left hand vent between door and dashboard. Out of the way, does not interfere with anything in the cab, looks great, not in sun or easily seen from outside. I have more pics somewhere but here is one for you. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I use that pro-clip mount also. Nice product easy to remove beats the window suction thing

Old 08-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Glad you like it too, they have nice stuff, a little pricey but the stuff is well designed, made and it works.

Also, for OP, if you don't like window suction mount (who does?), I have also just put the round black disc on the dash just behind where my mount is in the picture and suctioned to that. That worked great too, just a little reach, these being big trucks inside 'n all LOL.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Wonder why ProClip says that the left mount is for the Platinum only?

johnwill, did you have any issues putting this ProClip mount into your (non-Platinum?) F150?

The better question here is, have any of you XLT (and non-XLT) folks run a wire from your mounted GPS to a fuse in the fusebox? If so, where'd you run that wire?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
Wonder why ProClip says that the left mount is for the Platinum only?

johnwill, did you have any issues putting this ProClip mount into your (non-Platinum?) F150?

The better question here is, have any of you XLT (and non-XLT) folks run a wire from your mounted GPS to a fuse in the fusebox? If so, where'd you run that wire?
Very good question. They say it is for the Plat only because on the Plat, there is a seam between the top of the dash and the lower front of the dash (vent etc). The pro clip has a thin thing that slides into this seam for its rigidity and mounting. Sooo, since the XLT does not have a seam (one piece dash on top and front in that area anyway) I merely cut a seam in with a utility knife. No problem to do. Then I was good to go.

I then ran a wire under dash etc to the pass side kick panel fusebox and tapped (using ad a tap thingy) into an unused fuse (I think 37 or 38) because that one only goes on when you turn on car, vs the cig lighter and others that are always on.

I might have more pics at home, if I do I will post later.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm one of "those guys" that keeps it suctioned to the windshield, but at least its not easily seen from the outside (due to hieight) and the wires are hidden.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Red face

Whoops, sorry, I meant no offense . . .

Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a ProClip mount for my cell phone that I really like. It's to the right of the radio. This is the best picture I have. I am using a Bracketron holder with the ProClip mount.

I don't use my GPS that often, so I am another one of those guys that use the suction cup. I really only use it when I travel. Here is a picture of when I was using it in California 2 months ago.

I really do like the ProClip products. They work very well. I put one in 3 other vehicles.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by johnwill
Very good question. They say it is for the Plat only because on the Plat, there is a seam between the top of the dash and the lower front of the dash (vent etc). The pro clip has a thin thing that slides into this seam for its rigidity and mounting. Sooo, since the XLT does not have a seam (one piece dash on top and front in that area anyway) I merely cut a seam in with a utility knife. No problem to do. Then I was good to go.

I then ran a wire under dash etc to the pass side kick panel fusebox and tapped (using ad a tap thingy) into an unused fuse (I think 37 or 38) because that one only goes on when you turn on car, vs the cig lighter and others that are always on.

I might have more pics at home, if I do I will post later.

Thanks
More pics would be appreciated!

A few questions. How big of a seam did you make? From side to side, or only large enough for the ProClip piece? For the wire routing, can you elaborate a bit more on the route from the left location to the fusebox?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM
The seam was horizontal from side to side about 2" long and maybe 1/16" to 1/8" open.

I just ran it (the provided Garmin cig lighter adapter cord, hooked into an female aftermarket adapter, then to bare wire to fuse) all under the dash first down next to steering column thing then just behind the center lower dash and over to the box. Nothing fancy.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
More pics:

Last edited by johnwill; 08-26-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I used the adhesive disc that came with my Garmin 265WT and the suction cup mount to mount it to the dash. I then hardwired it to the passenger side fuse box so it comes on and off with the truck. The wire is run through the access panel in the top of the dash so there is only about 2" of wire visible. It's easily within reach and since I'm right handed I prefer it here as opposed to the left side of the wheel.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM
looks good

Quick Reply: Creative GPS solutions for XLT