2009 - 2014 F-150

Stomped by a Tundra I think...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garycoleman
I was just talking about engines, not frames or anything else. I'm well aware that the F-150 is a better truck all around but the pre-2011 engine line up is garbage.
Please sir, explain that statement.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
tundra has the 5.7L i do believe, and compared to your 4.6 would probably put it to shame any day without mods. The ford 5.4L would have put up more of a fight.
Man, you have one of the best looking trucks I've seen.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm sure if the guy in the f150 had the 5.4 he would have stood much better chance. I drive to west Virginia from where I am quite a bit and we have a few toll road between here and there and it's like a race track every time you leave because it goes from 6-7 lanes to 2-3 and its on mountain roads so climbing has to be done also. Many a time I have pulled away from them tolls and very rarely get beaten. When I do its normally a car and not a truck. When you are on these roads there's nothing in it between the half tons. My 5.4 has zero problem staying with the traffic and over taking cars even with my 7k lb trailer in tow. Only the other day I went to over take a tundra with a horse box on the back and as I pulled out to over take him I heard him stomp the gas and he started to pull exactly as I did until I got to about 80 then he backed off. I have no idea what a trailer with a couple of horses in would weight but there was nothing in it.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I'm sure if the guy in the f150 had the 5.4 he would have stood much better chance. I drive to west Virginia from where I am quite a bit and we have a few toll road between here and there and it's like a race track every time you leave because it goes from 6-7 lanes to 2-3 and its on mountain roads so climbing has to be done also. Many a time I have pulled away from them tolls and very rarely get beaten. When I do its normally a car and not a truck. When you are on these roads there's nothing in it between the half tons. My 5.4 has zero problem staying with the traffic and over taking cars even with my 7k lb trailer in tow. Only the other day I went to over take a tundra with a horse box on the back and as I pulled out to over take him I heard him stomp the gas and he started to pull exactly as I did until I got to about 80 then he backed off. I have no idea what a trailer with a couple of horses in would weight but there was nothing in it.
The only way it would have done better was if he was towing something. In nearly all cases, outside of towing, the new 4.6 is slightly faster in a straight line than the 5.4.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Vecte
The only way it would have done better was if he was towing something. In nearly all cases, outside of towing, the new 4.6 is slightly faster in a straight line than the 5.4.
I have never driven the 4.6 so I can't comment but I'm sure it's a good engine if your not towing. I ain't even seen the specs for the 4.6 so I don't even know what it does 0-60

Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I saw a commercial yesterday and it was talking about the tundra having an aluminum block which weighed less so as a result they could tow way more...ha And headers. Have they always been aluminum blocks and headers or is that new?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I have never driven the 4.6 so I can't comment but I'm sure it's a good engine if your not towing. I ain't even seen the specs for the 4.6 so I don't even know what it does 0-60
I've personally tested the new 4.6 in 2WD against a 5.4 2WD, as well as a 5.4 4WD. All of the trucks were SuperCrews, and in every instance, the 4.6 pulled ahead of the 5.4 in top end. The 5.4 2WD drive was a Platinum, and the 5.4 4WD was an XLT. Each vehicle was driven by it's respected owner first, then we swapped vehicles. Results were the same, regardless of the driver.

Superchips, and a few other places have released stock dyno sheets for both motors, and the 4.6 actually makes a few more horsepower to the wheels than the 5.4 does. However, the 5.4 does make about 20-23 more torque to the wheels.

Quick Reply: Stomped by a Tundra I think...