2009 - 2014 F-150

trailer control can it be added?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz

Classic!! Where do you find these things??

Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM
As others have said, Tasca parts is the way to go. I have the 09 so I have the display on the actual brake controller. On the 10 and up from what I understand the display is in the cluster between the needles. My nearest dealer programmed my integrated brake controller but charged me for an hour of labor. (Really was like a 15 minute job for them) The actual physical install took me maybe 15-20 minutes to take off dash trim piece and remove 4 screws and install the brake controller. One last thing, make sure you install the fuse and relay that came in the plastic bag in your glove box. These get installed under the hood and the location instructions should be in the plastic bag with the fuse and relay.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stympy
...One last thing, make sure you install the fuse and relay that came in the plastic bag in your glove box. These get installed under the hood and the location instructions should be in the plastic bag with the fuse and relay.
Originally Posted by Abn150
...Finally, the fuse and relay that should be in your glove box have nothing to do with the TBC, they activate the hot lead in the 7-pin trailer wiring harness, to provide constant power to the trailer for battery recharging, etc.
Abn is correct. The fuse and relay that should be in your glove box have nothing to do with the TBC...

Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Ok, now I am confused. I needed my oil change today so I asked if they could enable my controller when it was in (local Ford dealer). They told me "cust has aftermarket TBC looked up programing in wsm only ford factory unit can be install". Then the kicker, they offered $425 to install a factory TBC.

I have an '09 with the factory trailer package. I connected an AFTERMARKET brake controller (a drawtite) and it is inop.
  • There is a fuse in the fusebox under the passenger dash area.
  • The relay under the hood is installed
  • The relay charger thingy is installed under the hood
  • The TBC came with a harness for 09 F150 (etrailer.com followed their instructions)

Does this dealer have it right or are they wrong?

I need this thing working soon or I have to cancel my vacation, it is too far to tow my trailer without a TBC. TIA

Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
An aftermarket controller does not need to be enabled by the dealer. It is not integrated with the ABS and traction control system of the truck. The only thing it does is to operate the trailer brakes in conjunction with the truck brakes, or independently using the controller. The aftermarket controllers usually have a wiring harness adapter that plugs into the same wiring harness that the Ford Integrated TBC does, only so you don't have to run a bunch of wires and splice into the existing harness.

So if you have the aftermarket controller hooked to the wiring harness correctly and all of the correct fuses are functioning, then the aftermarker controller should work. If it doesn't, then either the controlleer or the wiring harness adapter is faulty, or possibly your trailer brake connections.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Thank You!!!! Now I can at least troubleshoot accurately!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
And take it as you want, doubt I'll do business with etrailer.com again. First thing they were sure to point out was they do not stand behind what they sell. I have to deal with Drawtite directly if this unit doesn't work.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Still no go. I triple checked the fuse and the wire connections and still nothing. So I took the console apart and exposed the wiring harness and unplugged it. I connected my trailer plug to the truck and while pressing the brake, I used a voltage tester and didn't get any power at the harness. Is there something else that needs to be done? I got a quote for $118 just to diagnose the problem. I really can't afford to be throwing money like that around.
Thanks In Advance for any suggestions.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:39 PM
This is getting stupid. I can't even get the local Ford dealer to look at it. As far as I can tell, the factory harness isn't getting power. All I wanted is for them to confirm this and if so, fix it. They won't even look at it because according to them, you CANNOT install an aftermarket brake controller, you HAVE to install the factory unit. GAH!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 PM
The dealer is full of it. My father in law recently had an aftermarket unit installed in his 2010, no problems. Is there another dealer you can go to ?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Not easily, but I'm looking into it.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by stympy
As others have said, Tasca parts is the way to go. I have the 09 so I have the display on the actual brake controller. On the 10 and up from what I understand the display is in the cluster between the needles. My nearest dealer programmed my integrated brake controller but charged me for an hour of labor. (Really was like a 15 minute job for them) The actual physical install took me maybe 15-20 minutes to take off dash trim piece and remove 4 screws and install the brake controller. One last thing, make sure you install the fuse and relay that came in the plastic bag in your glove box. These get installed under the hood and the location instructions should be in the plastic bag with the fuse and relay.
My 2010 was ordered from the dealer with the trailer brake,do i have to have something programed or is it ready to go?
You're right the 2009 had the display right on the trailer brake the 2010 doesn't.I'll have to check the owners manual to see if the trailer brake display is on the instrument cluster.

Thanks Mark.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Two if by Sea: there are two fuses - one in the passenger side fuse box, #33, and one in the engine compartment fuse box, #17. Did you check both? Since you are getting no love from your Ford dealer, is there a U-Haul dealer nearby? They usually have a trailer expert there who may be able to troubleshoot it for you.

Mark Miller: If you got the optional FORD TBC from the dealer, then it should work just as it is, with no additional programming needed; if it doesn't, take it back to the dealer and have him fix it under warranty.

You will need to adjust the gain on it, there are detailed instructions in the owner's manual. Obviously, you'll need a trailer with electric brakes hooked up in order to do that.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM
@Abn150 I got both fuses in and in good condition. Truck is going to a trailer repair place tomorrow. If there is an issue with the wiring, FOMOCO is getting a repair bill in the mail with an explanation of how their local dealership refused to work on it.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Two If By Sea
If there is an issue with the wiring, FOMOCO is getting a repair bill in the mail with an explanation of how their local dealership refused to work on it.

Sounds like a good plan, best of luck.

Quick Reply: trailer control can it be added?