2009 - 2014 F-150

Problems with ABS because of larger tyres

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problems with ABS because of larger tyres

Hi there I have a 2010 FX4 4 door with 35X12.5 R-17 with the standard rims. I live in a mountain and when I am In the road, driving at normal speed when there´s any turn, the ABS stops either the front right or the front left Tyre. I went to the dealer and they have no clue, they just don´t know what the problem is. They say that the computer does not identify that tyre´s size so it locks the breaks. I am in colombia south América and i beg you all any solution for my problem because I don´t want to go back to those trycicle standard tyres.
THANK YOU ALL

Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Luis Abondnao
Hi there I have a 2010 FX4 4 door with 35X12.5 R-17 with the standard rims. I live in a mountain and when I am In the road, driving at normal speed when there´s any turn, the ABS stops either the front right or the front left Tyre. I went to the dealer and they have no clue, they just don´t know what the problem is. They say that the computer does not identify that tyre´s size so it locks the breaks. I am in colombia south América and i beg you all any solution for my problem because I don´t want to go back to those trycicle standard tyres.
THANK YOU ALL
1. Get a flash programmer compatible with a 2010 and properly recalibrate the tire size.

-OR-

2. "Go back to those trycicle standard tyres."

MGD

Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 PM

I have 35's on my truck and have no problems with the ABS after recalibrating the speedometer for the right size tires. I went with a Hypertech programmer to recalibrate my truck, but was told by my local dealer they could reprogram the computer for 35's as well. I knew I would be switching between tires and elected to reprogram myself, so I am not sure if the dealer can do it or not.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
It's not the ABS it's the traction control.

I have the same issue, it's pretty minor but a definite annoyance. I have a SCT tuner with VMP tune, calibrated to the correct tire size and still have the same issue.

I have a PHP custom tune coming with the traction control disabled.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Start by recalibrating the tire size, thats the easiest and cheapest before tryiing the programmer which is more expensive. (unless you just want one)

I also have 35's and a 6in lift installed by my dealer. They recalibrated for the tire size to compensate for speedo, odometer. I have no Traction control issues. (and i dont have a programmer)

Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks to all, I´ll first try to recalibrate to see what happens

Quick Reply: Problems with ABS because of larger tyres