2009 - 2014 F-150

Headlight! Your opinion needed...and a few questions????

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight! Your opinion needed...and a few questions????

Alright Gents here's the issue. Nearly a year ago I put some HID headlight bulbs in my truck. They have since melted the module that connects the wiring harness to the bulbs. Due to that I no longer have the use of my headlights. Obviously I need this fixed ASAP but I'm at a loss of what to do. I went to my local Ford dealer today and they said that "because I installed after-market bulbs it wouldn't be covered by the warranty".

Question 1: If the wattage pulled in by the bulbs melted the connector module does the entire wiring harness need to be replaced or just the connector module?

Additionally, I called www.ultrabrightlights.com because I'd like to get Bi-Xenon lights instead of just paying the dealer to fix my truck back to factory. Ultrabrightlights (UBL) said that the wiring harness is probably fine it's just the module that would need to be replaced. They also said that I can just cut the module off and splice the factory harness with one from their kit and everything would be fine.

Question 2: Do you think that cutting off the factory module and splicing the two wiring harnesses together would work?

The tech support guy at UBL said that the power to run the the UBL kit doesn't come through the factory harness because they're kits have a separate connector that runs directly from the battery and that connector supplies the power to the bulbs and ballasts. He also stated that the only reason their kits connect to the factory wiring is so that it makes it easy to use the in cab headlight selector.

Question 3: What do you guys think?

Question 4: Would you have the dealer do the repair and get the headlights back to factory and pay the dealers overwhelming cost or would you order the UBL kit?

Question 5: For those who know about this type of stuff, does any of this sound fishy or is it possible?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

-Shawn-

Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Splicing in the UBL kit to the factory wiring should work fine so long as it is done properly. IMO If you are still wanting an aftermarket headlight set-up I would not have the dealership fix it, just use the UBL kit.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the UBL kit. I'd still like to hear from a few more members to get their opinions.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SFssft1911
They have since melted the module that connects the wiring harness to the bulbs.
I'm a little fuzzy here on exactly what you melted. Did you melt an electrical component - from excess amperage draw - or a plastic part from the heat of the bulb itself? The answer to that question is actually fairly important.

As for splicing something (anything) into a factory harness, I dont recommend that.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
rok
What module are you talking about? Are you talking about the plastic clip thing that the bulb goes into? Maybe post a pic so i can help more.

But it does seem like you want aftermarket lighting. So I would go that route but not sure about the harness splicing. It can be done but needs to be done properly.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 PM
I'll try to post up some pics in a little while so that everyone knows exactly what I'm referring to.

Quick Reply: Headlight! Your opinion needed...and a few questions????