2009 - 2014 F-150

Spotted a 2011.5? EB on the way home today

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aviator150
Mark my words...

This thing is a disaster looking for a place to happen. 6-bangers are for minivans.

Laugh at me now... Four years from now, I'll pull this post up and say "Told ya so".
It's called technology buddy
Go back 30 years and they would've laughed at the idea of a 4 or 6 cylinder in a car, when now those V8s struggle to hang with modern cars of only 6 (and in many cases, 4) cylinders.

I'm not saying I'm not a V8 fan, but if we're going to save some $$ in our wallets, we'll have to figure out how to make more power out of more efficient engines. If, someday, we can have a V8 truck that will get 26+ mpg, I'll be all for it. But we may have to give up that burbly exhaust note to move forward and into stronger (or at least equally strong), more efficient engines.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
First thing I have to get rid of is that EB badge.

Don't want to green leaf on my truck. I'll need a custom "TwinForce" badge.
Me too. Ecoboost was a stupid name for a truck engine.
TwinForce sounds 100 times better. Nearly as good as Powerstroke

Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Me too. Ecoboost was a stupid name for a truck engine.
TwinForce sounds 100 times better. Nearly as good as Powerstroke
Well if you ever find one, pls let me know!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Well if you ever find one, pls let me know!
Will do, I am betting that Billet Badges will be making some.

http://www.billetbadges.com/products/

Old 09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Nice!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Nice!
I have looked at them several times for my Powerstroke. I bet they can make some nice ones. Maybe a bunch of us can get together and get them to make us some in quantity.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM
i thought he went off road. pff

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I have looked at them several times for my Powerstroke. I bet they can make some nice ones. Maybe a bunch of us can get together and get them to make us some in quantity.
I'm in.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by 1clean42
It's called technology buddy
I disagree... It's called "PC". Everyone has to try to be "green" now days.

Go back 30 years and they would've laughed at the idea of a 4 or 6 cylinder in a car, when now those V8s struggle to hang with modern cars of only 6 (and in many cases, 4) cylinders.
One BIG exception. Cars have been and still are getting smaller and lighter. They are built like aluminum cans now, and are 2/3 the size that they were in the 80's. However... My 2010 150, is bigger and heavier than my '04 was. I'm sticking with my gut on this one. My gut screams to not just walk away from the EB, but to RUN away. After all, this is the company that brought us the Pinto. No one is perfect.

I still say that 2-4 years from now, you won't be able to give one of these things away. What I DO see coming out might be a reduced displacement V-8 version of the EB. Gee... Why point out the obvious though.

I hope that I am wrong about the impending failure, but I don't think so.

I'm not saying I'm not a V8 fan, but if we're going to save some $$ in our wallets, we'll have to figure out how to make more power out of more efficient engines. If, someday, we can have a V8 truck that will get 26+ mpg, I'll be all for it. But we may have to give up that burbly exhaust note to move forward and into stronger (or at least equally strong), more efficient engines.
Cant argue with you there. If you want mileage though, go buy a Prius.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm in.
+1

Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark my words...

This thing is a disaster looking for a place to happen. 6-bangers are for minivans.

Laugh at me now... Four years from now, I'll pull this post up and say "Told ya so".
Wanna put a steak dinner on the line? Loser drives to the winner's home state and buys.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Wanna put a steak dinner on the line? Loser drives to the winner's home state and buys.
I just might take you up on that.

Honestly, I hope that I am wrong. I am a loyal Ford man to the core. Time will tell.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I just might take you up on that.

Honestly, I hope that I am wrong. I am a loyal Ford man to the core. Time will tell.
I'm a loyal Ford man as well, and seeing what Ford has done in the last 3-4 years, I am confident in their application of technology. They have tested the EB extremely well, and I am certain it will do fine. There is replacement for displacement! At least I hope...I don't really want to drive to Texas just to buy you dinner!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree with you Aviator, except on the cars. I think the 5.0 will be the engine for the main line F-150. The EB sounds good on paper, but let's see in 4-5 years if it holds up. Remember the turbo 4 cylinders from the late '80s?

With respect to the cars, they actually are getting smaller, but they make much better use of the space. Rather than have hoods that are a football field long for the same size block some of he larger engines are now, they use that space for the interior and safety equipment. Cars are also heavier. Although the sheetmetal (or lack thereof) doesn't feel as thick and sturdy, the actual cars are. My 2011 Mustang GT weighs more than my 77 1/2 Trans Am did. But, you don't have to go work out to be able to open the door on a hill like the Trans Am. All that safety equipment and he electronics are heavy.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by racer114
I agree with you Aviator, except on the cars. I think the 5.0 will be the engine for the main line F-150. The EB sounds good on paper, but let's see in 4-5 years if it holds up. Remember the turbo 4 cylinders from the late '80s?

With respect to the cars, they actually are getting smaller, but they make much better use of the space. Rather than have hoods that are a football field long for the same size block some of he larger engines are now, they use that space for the interior and safety equipment. Cars are also heavier. Although the sheetmetal (or lack thereof) doesn't feel as thick and sturdy, the actual cars are. My 2011 Mustang GT weighs more than my 77 1/2 Trans Am did. But, you don't have to go work out to be able to open the door on a hill like the Trans Am. All that safety equipment and he electronics are heavy.
The Ford 2.3l Turbo was a great motor. The Buick V6 Turbo motors in the Grand Nationals was another great one. So was that 4 banger turbo in the Shelby Omni's. My point being as long as it's engineered properly there shouldn't be a problem. My bet is in this market and economy, Ford would not risk bringing out any product that would give any manufacturer a crack at taking over the full size truck market. GM and Dodge would just love the ecoboost to be a failure. If Ford figured out how to keep Obama out of their business, they can figure out a V6 Twin Turbo.

Quick Reply: Spotted a 2011.5? EB on the way home today