2009 - 2014 F-150

Spotted a 2011.5? EB on the way home today

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aviator150
Mark my words...

This thing is a disaster looking for a place to happen. 6-bangers are for minivans.

Laugh at me now... Four years from now, I'll pull this post up and say "Told ya so".
I'm with ya... it just seems "flimsy" for a truck. I also think its silly how the only half tons that get the 6.2 are the prissy pretty ones that probably wont ever see any real work. If they couldn't make it a straight across the board option for all trim levels then it should have been in the XL and XLTs. But I'm sure Ford knows that their doin..

Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 AM
The 6.2L is a limited option because of CAFE. I'm sure few years down the road the 6.2L won't even be available in the F150.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I owned a 2.3l Ford Turbo Thunderbird and a Plymouth Sundance with the 2.5 turbo. They were both a POS. Why do you thing they quit making both?

I'm not saying the Ecoboost is a POS, I just don't see it being viable long term in a truck application. Maybe it will prove me wrong.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM
They built this 3.5L Ecoboost engine borrowing design from diesel engines for longevity and torque production at low RPM.

I would imagine that comparing this engine to an 80's engine in any form is comparing apples to oranges.

Would you think a diesel V6 twin turbo would be overmatched? This engine was purpose built to be a workhorse.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by racer114
With respect to the cars, they actually are getting smaller, but they make much better use of the space. Rather than have hoods that are a football field long for the same size block some of he larger engines are now, they use that space for the interior and safety equipment. Cars are also heavier. Although the sheetmetal (or lack thereof) doesn't feel as thick and sturdy, the actual cars are. My 2011 Mustang GT weighs more than my 77 1/2 Trans Am did. But, you don't have to go work out to be able to open the door on a hill like the Trans Am. All that safety equipment and he electronics are heavy.
Wow. Lesson learned on my part.

I agree with you on the 5.0.

Ecoboost... Yeah, right.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by tstjohn
They built this 3.5L Ecoboost engine borrowing design from diesel engines for longevity and torque production at low RPM.

I would imagine that comparing this engine to an 80's engine in any form is comparing apples to oranges.

Would you think a diesel V6 twin turbo would be overmatched? This engine was purpose built to be a workhorse.
I am actually rethinking ecoboost right now based on this thread. I was going to wait for a 2011, but I think I might get a 2010 with all the incentives in Canada.

BMW also has a lot of history with Diesel engines. The current N54 that runs in the 135, 335, 535 cars has had a lot of teething problems. It is also a Twin Turbo, Direct injection 6. Might not be the smartest thing to get one of the early engines until all the bugs are worked out.

Many 335 people have had turbo issues, fuel pump issues, fuel injector issues. I had to have 3 fuel injectors replaced and am planning on selling my 335 before the warranty is up. I have a 2008. 2007 was the first model year for the N54. I think the latest 2011 cars are better...

Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM
If the EB V6 had a diesel badge on it, everyone would be selling a kidney just to get one.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Aviator150
Cant argue with you there. If you want mileage though, go buy a Prius.
This is another one that wears me out. God forbid a truck owner actually wish for something better when we all know technology can provide it.

I wasn't around, but we all know how well fuel injection was received. And look at it now - it's revolutionized the automotive, motorcycle, boating, you name it, industries.

I'm all for new technology and I look forward to the day that I'm driving a truck that's just as capable (maybe even moreso) as your gas guzzling 6.2L, all the while saving money on fuel.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TX Chris
This is another one that wears me out. God forbid a truck owner actually wish for something better when we all know technology can provide it.

I wasn't around, but we all know how well fuel injection was received. And look at it now - it's revolutionized the automotive, motorcycle, boating, you name it, industries.

I'm all for new technology and I look forward to the day that I'm driving a truck that's just as capable (maybe even moreso) as your gas guzzling 6.2L, all the while saving money on fuel.
Agreed!

That day is coming...January 2011 (ish) when the V6 EB comes out!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Spoke with a Ford employee that has driven them all (last Dec) Didn't say too much but:
- Said he'd take EB over a 5.0L.
- EB " REALLY moves!" when you step on it.
- Really worked on EB engine baffeling in the cab. In the cab sounds "like a hot rod".

I also heard from another "source" that the 6.2L will be available with the 6.5ft box for 2012.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 PM
There is a replacement for displacement. It's called a turbo and the ecoboost has two of them. No doubt the cars I'm the 80's were not of the quality we have today. But my 2.3l turbo SVO Mustang was quick as hell, got better mileage and outhandled the V8 mustangs and camaros of the period. The only real concern should be if the premium paid for one will exceed the fuel savings vs the 6.2.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:58 PM
The Eco-Boost motor sounds great as long as it's still covered by warranty!!! But what happenes when its done and you need a new turbo... How much to replace one of those turbos???? Scared me to much. So went out and bought a 2010 Larait Screw... I figured better safe than sorry..

Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Ford has said that the turbos are good for 150,000 miles. Do you keep a truck that long? Most don't.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 PM
If Ford wants a chance with the E.B. engine they would be smart to price it less then the 6.2 and not put a premium on them right off the hop. If the E.B. is the highest priced of the 3 engine options they may have problems selling them and getting people onboard with the idea of a T.T. v6 truck engine. I know my decision will be based on a number of factors including price, performance, fuel economy and dependability...I'm going to hold off until next year in the summer before I pull the trigger. At that point the smoke will have cleared and we'll have a better idea what type of problems if any the E.B. will present us with.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Reddragon8
If Ford wants a chance with the E.B. engine they would be smart to price it less then the 6.2 and not put a premium on them right off the hop. If the E.B. is the highest priced of the 3 engine options they may have problems selling them and getting people onboard with the idea of a T.T. v6 truck engine. I know my decision will be based on a number of factors including price, performance, fuel economy and dependability...I'm going to hold off until next year in the summer before I pull the trigger. At that point the smoke will have cleared and we'll have a better idea what type of problems if any the E.B. will present us with.
My guess is that the 6.2 will cost ~$1k more than the 3.5L

Quick Reply: Spotted a 2011.5? EB on the way home today