2009 - 2014 F-150

Spotted a 2011.5? EB on the way home today

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racer114
While I know today's engines are much higher quality and the engineering is better, I'm still not sold on a gas powered turbo engine for a Truck. Forced induction in place of displacement, regardless of the technology, just doesn't bode well to me for a vehicle meant to do work, no just play. We shall see. Of course, most of those buying the EB will never put the truck to work in its intended environment, so maybe my point is moot anyway.

Since you are in Texas, why don't you show up at the Texas Motor Speedway next Saturday and drive one and tow with it? You can also drive a 6.2 and tow with it, then tell us what you think. That's what I will be doing.

I don't think that Ford would be advertising the Ecoboost as best in class towing of 11,300 lbs if it couldn't handle it. The RVer's will be hitting the mountains in Colorado, farmers like myself will be pulling loads of hay, cattle and fertilizer, and construction workers will be towing backhoes, etc. Lot's of folks tow 8-10k regularly with their F-150's and Ford knows that.

Since the 6.2 is only available in the premium trucks and the 5.0's makes torque at too high rpm's to suit me, then ecoboost is going to be the choice of me and most folks that tow heavy.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
I heard there will be a credit if you get the EB with the max tow. Trying to promote it.
Power Kid,

What do you mean credit? a special rebate for ecoboost owners?

Thanks, JDF

Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM
While I know today's engines are much higher quality and the engineering is better, I'm still not sold on a gas powered turbo engine for a Truck. Forced induction in place of displacement, regardless of the technology, just doesn't bode well to me for a vehicle meant to do work, no just play. We shall see. Of course, most of those buying the EB will never put the truck to work in its intended environment, so maybe my point is moot anyway.
So elementary.

I live in Texas, where the ratio of 4x4 to 2WD trucks is quite skewed. I'll bet 98% of the 4x4 trucks rarely, if ever, see dirt, much less real mud. Does that mean I'm going to run around saying 'all you douche bags buying 4x4 trucks are stupid and should never buy a 4x4; buy a 2WD and save the 4x4's for us real men"? No.

I plan to buy an EB (2WD and then lower it, another major sin) as long as it makes good power and actually gets better MPG than the V8 engines. I'll pull a boat with it a few times a month, maybe more. It'll pull a classic Mustang to car shows on occasion. Maybe I should by a Ranger with a 4 cylinder since I won't be driving my truck to the extreme every time I turn the key...

Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Power Kid,

Thanks, JDF
I believe it's a special incentive deal to promote the EB/Max Tow combination. In other words, buy the EB/Max Tow and you get a price break.

I plan to take them up on the offer.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I plan on towing with mine. When I'm towing, I'm towing between 5-9k lbs and I live in a very mountainous state.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Johndeerefarmer,

I am registered for the event on the 25th. We shall see, but it still won't be indicative of longevity. It will be years before we know that, just like the 5.0.

The 5.0 is a great engine package in the Mustang. Will it work in the F-150? I don't know. I never really liked the 4.6 in the F-150 because I thought it too had to rev too high to get good power and torque. Maybe with a tune it will work and the 5.0 is far superior to the 4.6. All of these things are what I like about the 5.4. Is it the fastest and most efficient thing in the world? No. But, it tows well and makes good torque at low rpm. And, it has been around for a long time and has proven reliable for the most part.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Johndeerefarmer,

I am registered for the event on the 25th. We shall see, but it still won't be indicative of longevity. It will be years before we know that, just like the 5.0.

The 5.0 is a great engine package in the Mustang. Will it work in the F-150? I don't know. I never really liked the 4.6 in the F-150 because I thought it too had to rev too high to get good power and torque. Maybe with a tune it will work and the 5.0 is far superior to the 4.6. All of these things are what I like about the 5.4. Is it the fastest and most efficient thing in the world? No. But, it tows well and makes good torque at low rpm. And, it has been around for a long time and has proven reliable for the most part.
I might see you there, my appointment is at 11:00. I am the guy that wears the John Deere gimme cap.:

If they could have made the torque at lower rpms, I would be interested in a 5.0 myself but based on that reason and the fact that I can't get max tow with it, I don't have much of a choice in what I buy. (I don't want a premium F150 at a premium price just to get the 6.2)

I plan on asking the engineer's what the expected life span of the motor is. yeah, you are right it will be years before we know whether the ecoboost is the cat's meow or not. All I can do is buy one and expect Ford to stand behind it.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dunesgirl
I plan on towing with mine. When I'm towing, I'm towing between 5-9k lbs and I live in a very mountainous state.
I will be towing cows, fertilizer and hay with mine- 5- 11k +. Not many mountains in north Texas but we have a few hills.

What do you tow? Motorcycles, horses, cows?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I will be towing cows, fertilizer and hay with mine- 5- 11k +. Not many mountains in north Texas but we have a few hills.

What do you tow? Motorcycles, horses, cows?
Mostly we will be towing my 22ft tandem axle enclosed v-nose trailer with four ATVs (give or take one sometimes) plus camping gear for long weekend outings (usually about four days or more). We've never weighed my trailer fully loaded but I would imagine it weighs about 2500lbs empty plus another 2200lbs for four ATVs (two fullsize 4wd's, two sport 450's) and about another 1000-1200lbs for gear (fuel, air compressor, generator, food, general tools, general camping and riding gear, etc) for a typical outing. Elevations that we may travel range from 4000ft (where we live) to 8000-9500ft. This is what we'd be towing the most.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have a 16ft tandem axle flatbed (has removable sides) that we use to for our landscaping / home improvement projects. We haul a lot of gravel and mulch with it, usually about 2-3 cubic yards worth. The only time we've ever weighed it with pea gravel it weighed 8200lbs. Usually we only haul these loads here in the valley, which isn't completely flat but it's definitely no mountain pass.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Mostly we will be towing my 22ft tandem axle enclosed v-nose trailer with four ATVs (give or take one sometimes) plus camping gear for long weekend outings (usually about four days or more). We've never weighed my trailer fully loaded but I would imagine it weighs about 2500lbs empty plus another 2200lbs for four ATVs (two fullsize 4wd's, two sport 450's) and about another 1000-1200lbs for gear (fuel, air compressor, generator, food, general tools, general camping and riding gear, etc) for a typical outing. Elevations that we may travel range from 4000ft (where we live) to 8000-9500ft. This is what we'd be towing the most.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have a 16ft tandem axle flatbed (has removable sides) that we use to for our landscaping / home improvement projects. We haul a lot of gravel and mulch with it, usually about 2-3 cubic yards worth. The only time we've ever weighed it with pea gravel it weighed 8200lbs. Usually we only haul these loads here in the valley, which isn't completely flat but it's definitely no mountain pass.
Sounds like the ecoboost will be a perfect fit. I wasn't sure if "dunes" in your name was referring to dirt bikes, ATVs, side by sides, or a dune buggy.
Got a 2011 John Deere Gator on order, should be here in a week or so. Officially it's for "farm work" but occasionally I take them down in the creek bed. Also good for chasing off neighbor's dogs when they chase my cattle.

Are you going to get to drive one at one of the F-150 events? I can't hardly wait for next weekend at the Dallas Motor Speedway.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Its a shame the EB engine is not available in the reg cab short bed. Seems like this configuration is the red headed step child in Fords lineup. The EB would be a real hot rod in that sucker. I guess I will get the 5.0 since I dont have any other option but I would seriously consider the TT 6 if I could get it.

I remember reading somewhere that engines spend 98 percent of their lives at 3K or less rpm. That is where the EB would shine since it will likely have a torque curve as flat as Kansas. I am super curious what kind of gas mileage they can get. I am thinking you can probably get away with a high geared rear end and not give up much performance but that is yet to be seen.

I am slow to change myself but electronic engine controls are so much better these days and Ford just cant screw this up. You can screw up a lot of things but they cant screw up on the Mustangs or F150's or there will be hell to pay. The 5 liter is proving itself in the Mustangs as being dead nuts reliable so far and those guys beat the snot out of them. The 3.7 in the Mustangs are also being shown as excellent engines. I dont know much about the 6.2 but those afraid of the new turbo 6 have solid options. Time will tell but I bet the Turbo 6 could be a game changer.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Power Kid,

Thanks, JDF
Somthing like a $1,000 cut if you order that combo.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Sounds like the ecoboost will be a perfect fit. I wasn't sure if "dunes" in your name was referring to dirt bikes, ATVs, side by sides, or a dune buggy.
Got a 2011 John Deere Gator on order, should be here in a week or so. Officially it's for "farm work" but occasionally I take them down in the creek bed. Also good for chasing off neighbor's dogs when they chase my cattle.

Are you going to get to drive one at one of the F-150 events? I can't hardly wait for next weekend at the Dallas Motor Speedway.
I love offroading in all forms. My next purchase would be something for Moab, ideally a SWB truck, an old fullsize Bronco or Blazer, or maybe a Jeep. A side by side would be fun too.

I won't be able to make it to any F150 events. The closest one would be California and that's still a 14 hour trip for me. I can wait until they have some available here for test drive. It's too bad they didn't locate it in Las Vegas. I'd be able to make that one easily as I drive through there all the time.

It's funny you mention dogs chasing your cattle. I had a husky that would always run off and chase my neighbors cattle too. I eventually had to find another family for her, she had a very strong hunting instinct like most huskies do, and I didn't want her to end up biting any of my neighbors' cattle.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang9
Its a shame the EB engine is not available in the reg cab short bed. Seems like this configuration is the red headed step child in Fords lineup. The EB would be a real hot rod in that sucker. I guess I will get the 5.0 since I dont have any other option but I would seriously consider the TT 6 if I could get it.

I remember reading somewhere that engines spend 98 percent of their lives at 3K or less rpm. That is where the EB would shine since it will likely have a torque curve as flat as Kansas. I am super curious what kind of gas mileage they can get. I am thinking you can probably get away with a high geared rear end and not give up much performance but that is yet to be seen.

I am slow to change myself but electronic engine controls are so much better these days and Ford just cant screw this up. You can screw up a lot of things but they cant screw up on the Mustangs or F150's or there will be hell to pay. The 5 liter is proving itself in the Mustangs as being dead nuts reliable so far and those guys beat the snot out of them. The 3.7 in the Mustangs are also being shown as excellent engines. I dont know much about the 6.2 but those afraid of the new turbo 6 have solid options. Time will tell but I bet the Turbo 6 could be a game changer.
The EB would be really fun in a SWB 2wd F150 (read: Lightning Killer), but the 5.0L won't be anything to sneeze at in that configuration either. Might not keep up with a Lightning stock for stock, but with a program or a few bolt ons I'm sure it would be really close.

The 6.2L hasn't been out for very long, but I have great expectations for it as well, just like I do for the rest of the engines available for the F150. You're right, if Ford were to majorly screw something up in the F150, there would be major consequences. It's been a best seller for more than thirty years and I don't think Ford will do anything to upset that.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 AM
The EB would be really fun in a SWB 2wd F150 (read: Lightning Killer), but the 5.0L won't be anything to sneeze at in that configuration either. Might not keep up with a Lightning stock for stock, but with a program or a few bolt ons I'm sure it would be really close.

The 6.2L hasn't been out for very long, but I have great expectations for it as well, just like I do for the rest of the engines available for the F150. You're right, if Ford were to majorly screw something up in the F150, there would be major consequences. It's been a best seller for more than thirty years and I don't think Ford will do anything to upset that.
I wish the TT6 was available in the reg cab short bed but oh well. YOu just know it would haul *** and then some. LIke you, the 5 liter will be no slouch. I dont tow over 5000 lbs so it should work fine for me. I only tow on occasion anyway and its usually around 3500 to 4000 lbs. The 5.0 should work fine for me. I am impressed by all the new engines. I was never a huge fan of the 5.4 to be honest. Seems the 4.6 engines were more reliable at least in my mind anyway.

When can we expect to get gas mileage figures? The cost of the five liter is not to bad at 830 dollars but how much gas does it chew up?

Quick Reply: Spotted a 2011.5? EB on the way home today