2009 - 2014 F-150

Good HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was considering getting these - http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...09-11&p_cat=82.
What do You think, guys?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by SportTractoF150
I would really like to go ahead and put the FX-R projectors in my headlights with my HID's. A couple questions:

Is it actually possible to take apart the headlights on a 2009 F-150 and do this? I've heard mixed answers.
What would be required to make this work? Removing the reflective portion inside the stock headlight? Cutting the headlight to fit the projector? I would just like an idea before I get wrapped up in this.

Also, do you think there is enough room to use the mini projectors in the fog lights?
I've seen a retro fit kit on hidillusionz.com that looks pretty sweet, especially if you go as far as painting the OEM reflector black or to match your paint. If you do this I would consider painting that nasty chrome trim that comes on the standard models/FX4 on the 09-11.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lusso
I was considering getting these - http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...09-11&p_cat=82.
What do You think, guys?
Lusso--I really like these. I think a lot of the projectors out there can look really tacky and takes away much of the class of a vehicle. I think these look very nice and only add to the appeal.

Can anyone explain the pros & cons between aftermarket projectors vs HID retrofits?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Moosenuckle
Can anyone explain the pros & cons between aftermarket projectors vs HID retrofits?
Aftermarket projectors are designed for the stock halogen bulbs, so if you toss HIDs into them you can still get considerable amounts of glare. HID projectors designed specifically for HID lighting will give you the best possible performance while providing a laser thin cutoff with zero glare.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by murderout
I've seen a retro fit kit on hidillusionz.com that looks pretty sweet, especially if you go as far as painting the OEM reflector black or to match your paint. If you do this I would consider painting that nasty chrome trim that comes on the standard models/FX4 on the 09-11.
I've already done the custom retrofit

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...isons-too.html

You may of actually been looking at my retrofit on hidillusionz.com

Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Aftermarket projectors are designed for the stock halogen bulbs, so if you toss HIDs into them you can still get considerable amounts of glare. HID projectors designed specifically for HID lighting will give you the best possible performance while providing a laser thin cutoff with zero glare.
Thanks for the answer. I guess quality and a bit more money for a legit, properly performing product may be worth it in the end.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 AM
SportTracto - Thx for the link.
I like the Recon look better though - maybe will try to do a conversion based on their lights rather than original.
I suppose it is would be possible to replace their low-quality projector with smth like FX-R, right?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lusso
SportTracto - Thx for the link.
I like the Recon look better though - maybe will try to do a conversion based on their lights rather than original.
I suppose it is would be possible to replace their low-quality projector with smth like FX-R, right?
No, FX-Rs have an oval backing. It would require A LOT of cutting and messed up plastic to get the FX-Rs to fit.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by SportTractoF150
I've already done the custom retrofit

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...isons-too.html

You may of actually been looking at my retrofit on hidillusionz.com
Yeah I believe that was yours, I really like the look but I'm nervous about messing with my stock housings because if i F something up thats the only headlights I have and then I'm SOL. How did you get that good of results?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by murderout
Yeah I believe that was yours, I really like the look but I'm nervous about messing with my stock housings because if i F something up thats the only headlights I have and then I'm SOL. How did you get that good of results?
Its not that hard. Measure twice cut once

Quick Reply: Good HIDs