2009 - 2014 F-150

Ford says ecoboost will be going in ALL models

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Getting an ecoboost over a V8 has nothing to do with "values".
For you, maybe it doesn't.
Personally, a Ford sits in my driveway based heavily on values.
I wouldn't own a Gov't Motors product or a Fiat-Dodge.

It has all to do with do you embrace new technology or live like a caveman?
Based on how often I wish things were still made like they used to be, I'm going to go with being a caveman.
I prefer quality.

Glock makes a wonderful pistol. It uses new technology like polymers for the frame.
My pistol is a 46 ounce block of stainless steel.
Both Sig and Glock make fine pistols, but I am a caveman and believe my pistol should made of metal so I carry a P226ST

My truck shouldn't have a smaller V6 being massaged with boost.
It will probably work like a Glock, and be just fine.
I still want a V8 in mine.

With your antiquated thinking, I would still be farming with mules or a steel-wheeled Poppin' Johnnie and the price of food would be ten times higher.
Didn't John Deere get started by turning a broken saw blade into a plow, in answer to the needs for a plow blade that wouldn't break?
Looks like he was after quality as well.
I'm for technology and advancement of ways, but I don't think everything needs bettered.

The Zippo has remained pretty much unchanged since 1932. Do you know why? It works.

Also, generally anything "eco" sucks today. My new eco-formula cleaner? Doesn't clean. Eco-friendly auto paint? Sucks to use. My eco-CFL bulbs? Cost more, burn out sooner, and are filled with mercury vapor.
Even my cigarettes were "improved" and are now fire safe. They don't burn as well and cause the smoker to end up dropping more hot ash than previously. Once again, something improved upon and ruined.

I bet that you have high speed Internet- why didn't you stick with dialup? Do you have a HDTV and cable or satellite? Why didn't you stick with an old TV and a rooftop antenna?
I have vac tube TVs that still work. I have new TVs that fail before the boxes get thrown away.
They are a better picture and they are more convenient, I'll give you that.
Some things are great, some things need improved. Not everything does.

When gas goes back up you will change your tune.
I really doubt it. Trucks don't get good mileage. My VWs get good mileage because they use tiny engines, but they aren't trucks.

Look, the EB may be the best thing since sliced bread... I just don't want one in my truck.

I may stick to just trans rebuilds, but I don't seem to see the turbo and supercharger rebuilders going out of business anytime soon. You've added another component to the engine, one that spins its ***** off and generates boost for the engine, so it can run its ***** off and make the kind of power a truck owner expects. It may last a long time, but I don't have to worry about a charger rebuild with my N/A V8.

I've seen quite a few things over the years get "improved" and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they didn't need it at all.

For those who always need the latest new thing, it is fine.
For those who search ebay for the old Peterson Vice-Grips instead of the junky new Irwin Vice-Grips, the V8 is probably fine in their truck.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rockpick
We have a EB Flex Limited in the garage right now. Great motor (so far)... zero problems -- about 10k miles.
Sweet! I haven't driven an EB Flex...if I did, I'm sure we'd have to trade in our non-EB Flex, and I just can't afford that right now!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM
I am the first guy that is a little slow to change but I do come around most of the time. BrokeVW makes some good points I have to say but one thing is constant and that is change. I agree with some of his points but over time most things have changed for the better imo. I remember when Gm killed the 350 and went to the 5.3 and the faithful threw a fit. I am old enough to remember 4 drum brakes and carbs for everything. I hope I never ever have to fool with another carburetor again. Fuel injection is the best thing that ever happened to cars and trucks. But, at the time in about 86 or so the Mustang faithful declared that hot rodding was over! Its been the best thing since sliced bread to ever happen.

I think we all own some things that are of high quality that are very old and work better than the new stuff. I know I do. Its not that they cant make things better now but some things are so cost prohibitive that they fear they can only sell at a certain price point.

Ford has their work cut out for them to sell the old school guys on the turbo 6 and they know it. That is why they are giving everybody options for the most part. I am sorta on the fence. I bet it will make good power and gobs of torque and really haul the mail and get pretty decent mileage. My guess is that it will be pretty much trouble free as well with maybe a few bugs here and there initially. Remember, this is not the old Ford Motor co. When they have a problem they are on it like stink on you know what. They crushed 18 Mustangs that didnt meet quality standards back this summer.

My only concern about this new engine is durability long term. Will it last? We pretty much know how the 4.6/5.4 will do. And, somebody will always bring up the 300/6. Heck we had one that had over a quarter of a million miles on it and was abused like nothing I have ever seen before its entire life. We sold it for 100 dollars and it pulled itself out of the parking lot and still ran. Thats how used up it was.

I think truck buyers are a different breed and longevity is a big big concern and Ford needs to sell us all on that. There is an awful lot to be said also for simplicity. This is going to scare some people but my guess is that over time the Eb engines will prove worthy. Not sure I want to be a beta tester but I would at least give them some serious consideration and at least drive one. Cost would be a big factor too.

Just one more thing I wanted to add. I remember back in the day a man was fairly lucky to get 100K miles out of anything. After that you were on borrowed time for the most part. I owned Fords and Chevrolets and they were about the same from my memory. I did have better luck with the Fords though. Oils are better, engines are better now and 100K is nothing. Things changed alright but for the better. Sometimes you see cars and trucks with all kinds of miles on them that was not possible back in the so called good old days. That one guy up in Ohio now has 1.2 million miles on his Ford van. He kinda acted like it was about to die but damn thats a lot. Automobiles are better now than they ever have been imo. Some things are not as good of course but most of the time things get better. The Turbo technology is the next step and Ford is banking on it. It wont be a hard sell for a Fusion buyer but they have their work cut out for the F150 buyer. I truly hope its a success for them.

Last edited by Mustang9; 09-19-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang9
Ford has their work cut out for them to sell the old school guys on the turbo 6 and they know it. That is why they are giving everybody options for the most part. I am sorta on the fence. I bet it will make good power and gobs of torque and really haul the mail and get pretty decent mileage. My guess is that it will be pretty much trouble free as well with maybe a few bugs here and there initially. Remember, this is not the old Ford Motor co. When they have a problem they are on it like stink on you know what. They crushed 18 Mustangs that didnt meet quality standards back this summer.
I think Ford understands this and they know if the eco doesn't live up to the hype, it will be the bastard step-child that nobody wants. For this reason I think Ford is beating the hell out of them now (like the proverbial redheaded step-child), to try to find weaknesses and fixes for those weaknesses. I think the eco will be held to a higher standard by the buying public and Ford also realizes this. Even if the eco has fewer problems than any other motor ever built people will remember the problems because it is such a new idea for trucks.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 1depd
I think Ford understands this and they know if the eco doesn't live up to the hype, it will be the bastard step-child that nobody wants. For this reason I think Ford is beating the hell out of them now (like the proverbial redheaded step-child), to try to find weaknesses and fixes for those weaknesses. I think the eco will be held to a higher standard by the buying public and Ford also realizes this. Even if the eco has fewer problems than any other motor ever built people will remember the problems because it is such a new idea for trucks.
Yep.

It'll be a looong time before folks forget about the early VCT and 2-piece plug problems that plagued the 4.6L, 5.4L & 6.8L 3V engines. Their 2-valve predecessors were purty much bulletproof (ignoring the early 3-threaded heads )

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-20-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 AM
i wish it would have been out in 2010...i've been looking forward to it in the last couple years. if it would have i would have bought it, atleast now i can get one once the kinks (if any) are worked out!

Quick Reply: Ford says ecoboost will be going in ALL models