2009 - 2014 F-150

3.55 vs 3.73 gearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazynip
People with king ranch dont tow, or go off road. Their definition of an excursion is a trip to home depot with the wife to pick up some daisys. 3.55 will do you fine, and you will get better gas mileage on the interstate on your trip to nantucket or marthas vinyard
Quite the assumptions you are making about King Ranch owners. I couldn't begin to tell you how many farmers around here use King Ranch's to haul on a daily basis or how many i see completely caked in mud.

I guess life's a little different in Florida though. Over here in South Dakota we're all country boy's at heart no matter how much we might try not to be.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
People with king ranch dont tow, or go off road. Their definition of an excursion is a trip to home depot with the wife to pick up some daisys. 3.55 will do you fine, and you will get better gas mileage on the interstate on your trip to nantucket or marthas vinyard

Hahaha.......although pretty hilarious those are some fairly ignorant assumptions about KR owners.(i would think?) I'd still love a KR interior but I just couldn't stomach the extra cost to get all those goodies.

I ended up going with a well optioned FX4 and it saved me a ton of cash in the process while allowing me to get the gears I really wanted and the e-locking diff as a bonus.

I've got some 295/70/18's on order along with a gryphon programmer.....can't wait to get these new upgrades on the truck. Those pirelli scorpions just aren't going to cut it on a mountain pass in a foot and a half of snow/ice and rock (in -35C) in the Canadian rockies this winter! Not exactly martha's vinyard lol

I'm also looking very forward to the gryphon as the factory shift points and throttle response seem so tame with the factory tune. I'd really like to be able to hold a gear a bit longer without having to mash the gas. I know it's all about official fuel economy rating mumbo jumbo etc, but I dislike it when the engine short shifts all the time just so that you have to give it more gas in a higher gear. I can imagine it will be that much more important to have a good tune with the bigger tires.

Many thanks to everybody who offered their thoughts on the subject.......as polarized as the opinions may have been! FWIW I'll offer up my own 2 cents in about a week once I have the new level/wheels/tires/programmer

Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Wish you would have gone with a KR, but i understand the added cost is a tough one to justify. Looking forward to you're update after everything gets installed. Enjoy the truck.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva
I have been perfectly happy with my set up. 35" Nitto T-Graps (81lbs ea.) with the 3.73 rear. Now I do have a Gryphon...but I know PLENTY of guys with 35's on their 04+ F-150's with stock gears, and I never hear complaints...
I have an '04 Supercab 5.4 3.73s custom tuned Gryphon 2" leveled with 20s & Toyo M/T 33s and it dogged it down badly compared to the stock wheels.

There, you just heard a complaint . Its true though, it did dog down, 0 - 60 is a full 1.1 seconds slower, and I had to upgrade my brakes to semi-metallic pads and slotted rotors to get SAFE stopping again. I only hope that my transmission will be fine for quite awhile until I can trade to a newer model when I find the right one.

Quick Reply: 3.55 vs 3.73 gearing