2009 - 2014 F-150

Questions for Ford Engineers on the New Powertrain Options? Post them Here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Negative. Same system, I was told... although, the particular engineer that I asked wasn't 100%...
Thanks Boss, again - on behalf of the stated demographic.

Looks like 'trading up' will not guarantee relief in this regard - except perhaps y'all can go faster and open the winders

MGD

Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh man.... what a great engine lineup. All I can say....

Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockpick
The particular engineer that I asked this question gave me a blank stare. Said that he would get back to me; nothing yet.
As an engineer there is nothing like that "deer in the headlights" look to convey a warm feeling.

So far the answers haven't been very specific.

I am reminded of the Get Smart episode where Agent 86 is being questioned by a senator:

Senator: Mr. Smart, how many arrests did Control make last year?
Maxwell Smart: I don't know.
Senator: Who's the number one man in your organization?
Senator: How many cases were assigned to Control last year?
Senator: What would you do if you were fired, Mr. Smart?
Maxwell Smart: They can't fire me. I know too much

Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 AM
"We really didn't talk about this much and I neglected to ask this question (sorry). I can tell you that this feature is now found off of the cluster in the 'truck apps' screen. Pretty slick digital layout on the cluster."

RP, Were you in the Raptor when you saw the hill descent application? It is already in the Raptor. I was hoping it would make it's way to the FX4. There is a 2011 F150 brochure that lists hill descent control viewable by the lcd screen, but does not say it is a Raptor only feature.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I would like to know when Ford is going to convert to the new standardized tow ratings. Toyota has already done this.

I would also like to know if the oil life monitor is calibrated differently for each engine. The 5.0 holds 8 quarts of oil compared to only 6 for the EB engine. I know this is a stupid question but how much faith do they really have running the monitor down to 0 percent on just regular dino oil like Pennzoil or Motorcraft? Is there any fudge factor built in?

I cant wiat to hear the reports.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM
I figure the oil life monitor is like the air filter monitor on an window a/c. It just counts down miles or hours from last oil change. It has no way of testing the actual life of the oil, that would take a chemical analysis

Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I figure the oil life monitor is like the air filter monitor on an window a/c. It just counts down miles or hours from last oil change. It has no way of testing the actual life of the oil, that would take a chemical analysis
Not anymore. While it cant detect the chemical makeup it uses a complex set of variables to count down oil life. Engine speed, throttle position, load, temperature, mileage, hours, age since last change, ect...... It knows if your short tripping or towing it to death or on a road trip to where ever at a constant speed. Its might be set off at 2500 miles or 10000 miles depending on your driving habits and could vary from engine to engine as well. Honda and Gm have had this system for years and they work great from my understanding and save a lot of money on useless oil changes.

I know for a fact this is the way the oil life monitor works on the new Mustangs. Its a million times better than a dreaded mileage counter.

Last edited by Mustang9; 09-24-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:06 PM
That's good to know- dang these trucks are getting smart.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Questions for Ford Engineers on the New Powertrain Options? Post them Here!