2009 - 2014 F-150

Questions for Ford Engineers on the New Powertrain Options? Post them Here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Questions for Ford Engineers on the New Powertrain Options? Post them Here!

I'll be elbow to elbow with Ford Engineers beginning Tuesday night at a Media event for the new F-150's powertrain options....

While I know some of you are set to do events later in the week, please let me know if you have questions that you'd like for me to ask (if possible) and I'll do my best...

If this one is anything like the last one, I'll be around lead engineers for ALL the major systems on the truck (suspension, powertrain, etc)...

Let me know!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really want to know if the 6 speed tranny in my 2010 lariat, is the same part as the 2011 6 speeds. And if this tranny is used up to the 750's. This would amaze me and tell me the tranny is a very heavy duty componant.
Ferd

Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Can us 2009/10 add the select shift to our trucks since its the same transmission.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Moderator &

Keep em' coming... I'll be on my way down that way around this time tomorrow.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Will the smaller 26 gallon tank give the EcoBoost better fuel economy?

Which trucks will have Hill Descent Control?

Why didn't the F-150 get MyFord Touch?

Is there any new high strength steel anywhere for 2011?

Last edited by Rambo; 09-20-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Here are a few off the top of my head...

- When you went fr 4 to 3 leafs on the Job 2 max tow/20" F150s in 2010+: did their rating stay the same or decrease?

- Why no e locker with the 6.2L?

- Why no EPS with the 6.2L? (if the answer is weight) then won't a fully loaded EB with max tow be close enough to then also have weight issues? Does 180 lbs draw the line in the sand?)

- Why no "My Touch" on the 2011 F-Series?

- Why no Heavy Duty payload pkg with the SCrew?

- Why not give us the option of choosing a V8 with the max tow: Why force us into a V6 when GM offers a 6.2L w/their max tow even on mid-trim levels. If it really is a superior product, the buyers will go there, customer is always right... right?

- Whats the TQ #of the 6.2L on reg fuel?

- Given the power figures of the now shelved 4.4L diesel was estimated at 330 /515, how did it perform vs the 6.2L and more importantly the EB? Could the EB "tow with it" and how did mileage compare both empty and towing?

- When will the online Build & Price tool be operational?

- When will the 4 valve 6.2L hit the F series?

- When will Ford finally upgrade the rear axle on the F150s to support the increasing GAWR given the new more capable powertrains? (hasn't changed in forever....)

And 2nd point, why not put the Heavy duty payload F150 rear axle with its higher GAWR into the max tow units, with a new more capable 6 bolt pattern. (no 7 bolts please)

- Could we ever see a full floater on a Heavy Duty payload pkg?

- Why doesn't Ford have liquid fillied vibration controlled body mounts yet? (like GM HD)

- Why is is so hard to figure out which configuration will get which GAWR, especially in front? Even the dealers can't make sense of it? Example: Some are 3,750, some are 3,900?

- Why not offer a LT tire on the 20" offering?

- Why not offer power telecoping and power fold TT mirrors on the F150?

- Where is the front license plate mounted on new 2011 EB trucks?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Another one:

When will those patented swinging supercab doors finally be on the F150?

Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I would like to know towing mpg for the ecoboost vs the 6.2? The ecoboost is sure to bet it unloaded but will it loaded?

Also they rate max tow at 11,300 lbs. What specs is this based on? What I mean is if I pull 11,300 lbs what kind of performance should I expect? My old F150 with the 351 would tow it but would take a mile to get up to 55mph and going up a hill sometimes wouldn't get out of second gear. So does Ford have performance specs or standards that they use to "qualify" the ecoboost and 6.2 to be 11,300 lbs capable?
For example: Is there a 0-60 ET (towing) that they base this on?
Or a 1/4 mile ET that this is based on? What about incline?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah RP - just one.

On behalf of all the incessant A/C whiners on here - did they finally fix the crappy, undersized A/C system in these trucks?

Perhaps they could 'ecoboost' that too!

MGD

Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
One more question, What was the last Ford product to have an offset license plate out front?

80's, early 90's LTD/Grand Marquie?

THATwill look like crap.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by oakmossy
I really want to know if the 6 speed tranny in my 2010 lariat, is the same part as the 2011 6 speeds. And if this tranny is used up to the 750's. This would amaze me and tell me the tranny is a very heavy duty componant.
Ferd
Was not able to get this question answered but, we hope to do a 'ask and answer' session with some Ford Engineers in the coming months.

Originally Posted by WestF-150
Can us 2009/10 add the select shift to our trucks since its the same transmission.
The answer was that it wouldn't be simplistic.

Originally Posted by Rambo
Will the smaller 26 gallon tank give the EcoBoost better fuel economy?
Yes. Less fuel = lighter weight.

Which trucks will have Hill Descent Control?
We really didn't talk about this much and I neglected to ask this question (sorry). I can tell you that this feature is now found off of the cluster in the 'truck apps' screen. Pretty slick digital layout on the cluster.

Why didn't the F-150 get MyFord Touch?
Not sure 'why' but, I was told to expect it as the push it to go to a commonality paradigm. In short, 'most' vehicles will have it as an option currently or in the very near future.

Is there any new high strength steel anywhere for 2011?
Didn't get any chance to ask about this and there really wasn't much discussion about frame or build. The new engine lineup was the focal point. I can't talk about the engines yet though... I'm embargoed.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yeah RP - just one.

On behalf of all the incessant A/C whiners on here - did they finally fix the crappy, undersized A/C system in these trucks?

Perhaps they could 'ecoboost' that too!

MGD
Negative. Same system, I was told... although, the particular engineer that I asked wasn't 100%...

Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I would like to know towing mpg for the ecoboost vs the 6.2? The ecoboost is sure to bet it unloaded but will it loaded?

Also they rate max tow at 11,300 lbs. What specs is this based on? What I mean is if I pull 11,300 lbs what kind of performance should I expect? My old F150 with the 351 would tow it but would take a mile to get up to 55mph and going up a hill sometimes wouldn't get out of second gear. So does Ford have performance specs or standards that they use to "qualify" the ecoboost and 6.2 to be 11,300 lbs capable?
For example: Is there a 0-60 ET (towing) that they base this on?
Or a 1/4 mile ET that this is based on? What about incline?

Thanks
This is the 10-hundred million dollar question here. Again, I can't talk about my 'impressions' with the Ecoboost... not yet, at least. I will... and I have some impressions.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Power Kid
Another one:

When will those patented swinging supercab doors finally be on the F150?
The particular engineer that I asked this question gave me a blank stare. Said that he would get back to me; nothing yet.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Moderator &

These are GREAT questions but, my bonehead didn't get this one printed (no clue why -- I'll blame it on the Marriott printer). I'll do my best to answer where I can (see above).

[QUOTE=Power Kid;4343783]Here are a few off the top of my head...

- When you went fr 4 to 3 leafs on the Job 2 max tow/20" F150s in 2010+: did their rating stay the same or decrease?

RP: No idea.

- Why no e locker with the 6.2L?

RP: The engineer that was asked this question said that he didn't know of it to have ever been in the plans, I was told (someone else in my group asked this question.

- Why no EPS with the 6.2L? (if the answer is weight) then won't a fully loaded EB with max tow be close enough to then also have weight issues? Does 180 lbs draw the line in the sand?)

RP: DANG good question... I wish I had asked this one. Maybe we can get a FoMoCo engineer to sit in on this one....

- Why no "My Touch" on the 2011 F-Series?

RP: See above. Commonality was used SEVERAL times throughout the event. You'll start seeing motors, functions, features, etc becoming very similar across all lines, models.

- Why no Heavy Duty payload pkg with the SCrew?

RP: 7-lug will be available on SCAB. Don't know on the SCREW. I'll check my mktg literature when I get home.

- Why not give us the option of choosing a V8 with the max tow: Why force us into a V6 when GM offers a 6.2L w/their max tow even on mid-trim levels. If it really is a superior product, the buyers will go there, customer is always right... right?

RP: Another good one...maybe I am misunderstanding this question though. The V8 (5.0 and 6.2) *DO* have tow?

- Whats the TQ #of the 6.2L on reg fuel?

RP: I have it... but, it's at home. Will post later.

- Given the power figures of the now shelved 4.4L diesel was estimated at 330 /515, how did it perform vs the 6.2L and more importantly the EB? Could the EB "tow with it" and how did mileage compare both empty and towing?

RP: I'm embargoed on the impressions here. I can't talk numbers.... sorry. I can as of Monday.

- When will the online Build & Price tool be operational?

RP: I believe it's as early as TODAY.

- When will the 4 valve 6.2L hit the F series?

RP: Soon... EB, I'm told, will be early next year.

- When will Ford finally upgrade the rear axle on the F150s to support the increasing GAWR given the new more capable powertrains? (hasn't changed in forever....)

RP: Don't know.

And 2nd point, why not put the Heavy duty payload F150 rear axle with its higher GAWR into the max tow units, with a new more capable 6 bolt pattern. (no 7 bolts please)

- Could we ever see a full floater on a Heavy Duty payload pkg?

RP: Don't know.

- Why doesn't Ford have liquid fillied vibration controlled body mounts yet? (like GM HD)

RP: I believe I heard this one answered (albeit, asked by someone else). This is likely in R&D -- the answer was very 'canned'.

- Why is is so hard to figure out which configuration will get which GAWR, especially in front? Even the dealers can't make sense of it? Example: Some are 3,750, some are 3,900?

RP: Ehh... dunno.

- Why not offer a LT tire on the 20" offering?

RP: I talked to the guy that could've answered this one... sorry, don't have it.

- Why not offer power telecoping and power fold TT mirrors on the F150?

RP: Costing. Power telescoping and power tilt wheel will be avail.

- Where is the front license plate mounted on new 2011 EB trucks?

RP: Center, I believe.

You have some GREAT questions. I'll be sure to get you involved if and when we get Ford to come on and answer some questions. They're VERY interested in getting the word - and the correct word - out there so that folks can make informed decisions. The engineers that we were dealing with at the event were the guys that were IN THE TRENCHES building this truck. This wasn't a marketing 'hype' event --- the product spoke for itself.

While I can't comment on the Ford from a drive impressions standpoint, I can tell you what I felt with the Silvy, Tundra, and Dodge.... They were 3rd, 2nd, and 4th respectively in all events (drag, tow, economy, etc).

Mileage on the EB... oh... I can't talk about that.

Quick Reply: Questions for Ford Engineers on the New Powertrain Options? Post them Here!