2009 - 2014 F-150

Loading Golf Cart in my 5.5' bed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loading Golf Cart in my 5.5' bed?

We are looking at buying a Tomberlin Golf Cart. It weights right around 1200lbs and when loaded in the truck, the rear tires are going to sit squarely on the tailgate. I'm guessing it will end up being 700#'s of weight on the tailgate itself.

Is that just too much weight for the tailgate? Can you beef up the straps to make it hold more weight? Any options to make this work, or forget about it?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM
700lbs on the tailgate... so turn the golf cart around so its only 500lbs on the tailgate If you check the manual I believe there is a maximum load for the tailgate (or maybe its on the tailgate itself), that would tell you if you need to look at modifying your setup

Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oiy.

I think the max safe limit is ~500lbs, IIRC ...

I'd hate to say you'll be fine, only to have you drop yer load, lol.

A sheet of 1" plywood would help stiffen things up, but to be safe I wouldn't even try - rent a trailer if it's a one-time trip.

I'm sure plenty of others have loaded similar weight, or more, ( quads, etc), and gotten away with it, but I'm cautious by nature.

There's also the whole issue of the intial full load on the gate while loading it up there.

I'd also be concerned with dynamic loads that will go over & above any static weight - hitting bumps will do that. And possible vehicle ratings depending what else you will have on board ( passengers, gear, etc).

BTW - if this were a Tundra we would not even be having this duscussion

MGD

Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another idea, which I have used, though not with such a golfcart, is to load the unit in the bed, having the wheels resting on tailgate as you say.

Then, I raised the rear of the unit by jacking and or lifting it, and then, I placed a 2"x6" across the bottom of the bed, using the vertical slots Ford built into each side of the bed. I then rested the unit down upon that 2" x6." Al the weight of the unit was now carried by the bed and no weight or wheels were on the tailgate.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I have had golf carts in the bed of my truck and my dads 01 with the wheels on the tailgate, you will be fine. We have never had any issues and we have done stock ones to lifted ones with big tires.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
What the hell kind of truck do you drive, a Tundra? The tailgate will handle the weight just fine.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Checked the owners manual and it says a whopping 150#'s while moving.

I wouldn't worry about it at all if it was going to be a small trip here and there. But I'm guessing the golf cart will be in my truck bed for ~6k miles per year. I four down tow my truck behind our Motorhome and we were wanting the Golf Cart for Camp Grounds.

I even looked at some actual golf carts, like the ones from EZ Go/Club Car, they are still like 1000lbs with a majority of the weight on the back tires and the same size wheelbase.

The reason you can't turn the cart backwards in the truck is because it has the back seats and the platform so, backing it up would make the front tires then hang over the tail gate(in my case)

Probably should have gotten the 6.5' bed lol..

Thanks for the responses!

Jason

Old 09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
With enough Pixie Dust, anything is possible

MGD

Old 09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

A trailer is definitely better.

Name:  user9708_pic43142_1253635638.jpg
Views: 6004
Size:  40.3 KB

Old 09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
As some others have said you can probably make it work using boards going across and some straps to jack the weight off the backend of it. I've also seen people tow jetskis on a trailer behind their camper, so it can be done, though it sure doesn't sound fun.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
150 lbs? Thats insane. I weight 215 lbs and never once thought the tailgate would buckle under my weight. 3 or 4 of us sit on it when tailgating and nobody has ever considered it might buckle.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And even the ad copy for the man step says holds up to 350 pounds (the step of course, which hangs off the tailgate itself of course).

Ima figuring 500 pounds easy.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by sharper4
150 lbs? Thats insane. I weight 215 lbs and never once thought the tailgate would buckle under my weight. 3 or 4 of us sit on it when tailgating and nobody has ever considered it might buckle.
The 150 limit is while moving. Don't remember what the limit was/is not moving. The problem while moving is bumps which magnify the weight.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Zaairman
What the hell kind of truck do you drive, a Tundra? The tailgate will handle the weight just fine.
^^^ what he said.
I've put quite a bit of weight on my tailgate moving firewood around too without any problems. And you drive a Ford, think the guys who make our trucks know they will actually be used. But if you feel like being safe, put a piece of plywood down to transfer some weight and go slow over speedbumpa and potholes.

Post pics of it in the bed and let us know how it goes!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I assure you I would have no problem loading it up if it was a one or two time thing. But I'd really worry about extended trips like, going from Columbus to Florida. 18 hours of that weight on the back bouncing around.

I do like the plywood idea, that would certainly even the load to a point. Only downside there is I'd have to deal with that big piece of plywood when I got to my location.

The 2x6 is also a good idea. Just strap it down on there, and then all the weight is in the bed.

Thanks for all the responses!

Jason

Quick Reply: Loading Golf Cart in my 5.5' bed?