2009 - 2014 F-150

Ideas on that dang ugly front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas on that dang ugly front license plate

So what can we do? I think the license plate on one side with the ecoboost will look extremely stupid. What can we do? Any ideas?
We kinda need something on both sides to make it symmetrical but don't know what? A Ford Ecoboost (or Twin Force) sign on one side and the license plate on the other? Can it legally be mounted maybe in the center of the windshield right above the dashboard?

Power Kid, others? what are your ideas?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
We don't use front license plates in PA so I'm just removing it. There should be an overider behind it that matches the other side.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
What about...you know...waiting till the truck comes out and people can think of a solutions?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by KazK
What about...you know...waiting till the truck comes out and people can think of a solutions?
Why?

I don't want to drive it one day with that ugly a$$ thing on the front, and good ideas take time.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM
It's not a problem for me.

We don't have front license plate in Quebec.

Can't wait to test drive the EB FX4 or Lariat.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 AM
I hear you JDF.

If you look closely you can see they squared off that mount too so its... sqaure with the truck while the passenger side is still angled. Terrible.

My first thought was that as low as that new air dam is, someone could manufacture a plate holder that is maybe an inch too high up top in that opening and maybe a couple inches lower than bottom of bumper but still a fair bit higher than the lowest point of the air dam. The problem for me (not you in sunny tx) is bucking hard snow drifts! Would have to be sturdy! You should slip a plate in your back pocket this wknd at the truck showing (the pocket w/o the tin!) and see how it would look...

And if someone says that a inch here or there of air flow blockage will cause the truck to over heat in any way... Then I guess no one will be installing a bull bar or brush guard on and EB...ever?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
I hear you JDF.

If you look closely you can see they squared off that mount too so its... sqaure with the truck while the passenger side is still angled. Terrible.

My first thought was that as low as that new air dam is, someone could manufacture a plate holder that is maybe an inch too high up top in that opening and maybe a couple inches lower than bottom of bumper but still a fair bit higher than the lowest point of the air dam. The problem for me (not you in sunny tx) is bucking hard snow drifts! Would have to be sturdy! You should slip a plate in your back pocket this wknd at the truck showing (the pocket w/o the tin!) and see how it would look...

And if someone says that a inch here or there of air flow blockage will cause the truck to over heat in any way... Then I guess no one will be installing a bull bar or brush guard on and EB...ever?
I will definitely complain to the engineers on Saturday but the design work is done so I don't see them changing it. On the other hand I don't know why they approved it like that in the first place- maybe they don't have front plates in Michigan. I could take a license plate and and some duck tape with me and stick it on different places all over the front of the truck.

Maybe we can figure out something

Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 PM
rok
Ok where is a pic of the ecoboost with the plate so i can see what the heck yal are talking about?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Obviously an afterthought. I would likely not even put a front plate on with this.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Some states like mine (Texas) don't give me a choice- unless I want a ticket

Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 PM
How about buying the whole plastic insert from a 3.7, 5.0, 6.2 bumper and not run with a plate at all. My state requires a front plate, but haven't had any issues in 6 years.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 PM
The cops are tough in Texas, not only do you have to have a front plate it has to be on the front bumper (not in the window)

http://www.dallasarealaw.com/lawblog/?p=1203

Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
I gotta agree it does look kinda stupid. I live in N. Texas too and I used to run no plate on the front on my last truck. I never had and issue and never heard any comments. I left the bracket on the front with a john deere plate up front. I also kept the front plate behind the back seat of my Superduty just in case. You are correct though, you run a risk of a ticket.

In the picture it appears that the valance under the bumper is kinda tall. Just an idea...Texas law I believe says that you need a plate on the front and back but it does not specify placement. Maybe you can mount it on that valance and put some bends in the plate to make it fit nicely.

This is just though...

Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering if you could use the bracket from the center like came with my '09?

Or is that bracket on the '11 permanently there (can't remove)?

Quick Reply: Ideas on that dang ugly front license plate