2009 - 2014 F-150

Why does the beds on our trucks shake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why does the beds on our trucks shake?

I have noticed when I drive my truck looking in the left rear view mirror while going over a bump in the road the bed on my truck shakes a lot. It shakes over the smallest bumps in the road. Then today while on my way to work a 2010 stx scab passed me and his bed shook over the same bump mine did. Then while on base I was next to a platinum, well my door was next to the bed of the platinum. When we drove over a speed bump his bed shook like crazy too! Has anyone else noticed this? I've seen the video of the frame/bed twister test on YouTube where the tundra's bed almost hit the cab. Next time you drive your truck look in the left rear view mirror and see if it shakes. I'm trying to figure out if it's just me or does all the new trucks do this?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Not saying that i know all....
Most vehicle makers be it Cars, Trucks or motorcycles are using Tuned Flex principles when designing their frames. They engineer give here and there and it results in grippier motorcycles or in our case great riding trucks that are very quiet and forgiving but can also haul very very well.

If i remember the Ford info from a few years back they were using 3 different shapes of steel for their frames. hard where it's needed and a bit more flexible where the enigineers want it.
Pretty sure i've seen the same video, all trucks do it to an extent. Should be perfectly normal!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You think yours shakes?

Ever see a Tundra?

MGD

Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I've seen the tundra bed shake. I have also seen the video. I was jw if anyone else noticed their bed shaking a little bit? Over larger bumps in the road it looks like it does not affect the bed. Over the small bumps I can def see the bed shaking and it feels like a vibration for a short amount of time. I'm not really worried about it. Again I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed this. I love my FX4, but I do miss my 02 FX4. In the Hampton roads VA area...the roads and highways are bad.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by formuladriver01
I've seen the tundra bed shake. I have also seen the video. I was jw if anyone else noticed their bed shaking a little bit? Over larger bumps in the road it looks like it does not affect the bed. Over the small bumps I can def see the bed shaking and it feels like a vibration for a short amount of time. I'm not really worried about it. Again I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed this. I love my FX4, but I do miss my 02 FX4. In the Hampton roads VA area...the roads and highways are bad.
10-4.

Yep mine does it too ...

MGD

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM
lower your tailgate, then raise it about 6 inches and drop it. The whole bed will bounce around.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine shakes on every bump and I find it mildly irritating. Its part of owning a pickup.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is mounted directly to the frame with no rubber bushings to help with the vibrations that are in the frame. So anything motion in the frame will show in motion of the bed. Even in a seat you are going to feel some vibration/motion depending on the roadway. Just more so in the bed.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Mine does it too. Like said before, kinda part of owning a truck.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
All trucks beds shake. Some much worse than others though. The tundra has it bad. The rear of the truck is so light that there's no weight to keep it under control. Put some weight in that bed then go over the same bumps and you won't see any bed flex. Also smooths the ride real nice with some weight in bed.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sgerry
Not saying that i know all....
Most vehicle makers be it Cars, Trucks or motorcycles are using Tuned Flex principles when designing their frames. They engineer give here and there and it results in grippier motorcycles or in our case great riding trucks that are very quiet and forgiving but can also haul very very well.

If i remember the Ford info from a few years back they were using 3 different shapes of steel for their frames. hard where it's needed and a bit more flexible where the enigineers want it.
Pretty sure i've seen the same video, all trucks do it to an extent. Should be perfectly normal!
Exactly, the frame is designed to flex. If the frame was rigid like up front, it would be easily bent when carrying a heavy load. Bed shake is better than riding around with a bent frame.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
It is annoying, it does flex less than previous years and a lot less than the competition. My F250 bed didn't flop around going down the back roads... I guess if it cracks or falls off Ford will warranty it, lol...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
My guess is we'd have a much bigger problem if it didn't flex/shake a little (i.e. bolts breaking,etc.).

Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Suspended
I wouldn't think it's a big deal had Ford not made it part of their "pitch".

Mine (07) does it too.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Watch the vids again, they clearly show the Ford's bed shaking too. What they were focusing on was how much less the flex was compared to the Tundra. There has to be some flex in a frame, otherwise the ride will be terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lg_2an2XO0

F250/350's might not flex as much, but think about how much rougher their ride is because of it. It's built to be the toughest and that's the price you pay for it. Making a choice to drive back roads in our F150 or F350, I'd choose the F150. There isn't much give at all in the F350's ride at all.

Last edited by SFCFX4; 09-22-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does the beds on our trucks shake?