2009 - 2014 F-150

no replacement for displacement? Yeah, right!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish51
If I remember what I read, they had not done that yet, and for how long. 1 day, 1month, 1 year. Unless it was the later, it would not impress me.

Just to verify,

So this has not been done yet, and this is not any long term test.
Sorry, you are right, I read this (below) and interpreted it as l they had already hauled logs and pulled race cars as they had already done it.

"in addition to the 2011 F-150 EcoBoost that already has hauled logs and pulled racecars, Ford will a second 2011 F-150 EcoBoost at Baja, where those trucks will race not on power-enhancing high-octane racing fuel but on standard pump gasoline"

Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by barry1me
one of the smartest comments I have ever read on here. By the way I am an engineer in the auto industry and have been working on the EB 3.5L for the F150 for the last 2 years. This motor is the real deal. I havent been as excited about a drivetrain line up in a vehicle in my lifetime. Ford is proving more and more every day that they are the best. The perfect truck for me would be a 25mpg 4x4 with a 7000lb+ towing capacity, and nice hauling capacity............oh wait Ford is knocking on this door
Give me the 36 gallon tank with the EB and I'd be a believer. The guys towing long distance aren't going to like the small tank, even if the mileage is better. I would take 1 or 2 less MPG in return for the larger tank.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM
one of the smartest comments I have ever read on here. By the way I am an engineer in the auto industry and have been working on the EB 3.5L for the F150 for the last 2 years. This motor is the real deal. I havent been as excited about a drivetrain line up in a vehicle in my lifetime. Ford is proving more and more every day that they are the best. The perfect truck for me would be a 25mpg 4x4 with a 7000lb+ towing capacity, and nice hauling capacity............oh wait Ford is knocking on this door
Thanks for working on the engine. I can't wait to drive one on Saturday. It is going to be so nice for Ford to not only have the best truck (body, chassis and interior) but also to have the best engines and fuel economy

Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I have no fear of the engine. I remember well when the old 302/351 were replaced and everybody threw a fit. They said the 4.6 would never last but look at the crown vics running around in cab use with 300K plus miles on them now. I fully understand the fear of something new but I have just gotten past all of that and fully believe the electronics wont let the engine hurt itself. Plus, I have a lot of confidence in you engineers. A lot is at stake here and I know Ford knows this.

Your perfect truck is like mine and I am trying to read between the lines. Can you give us any more information?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Barry, What would be your perfect city mileage? 20?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 AM
If I remember what I read, they had not done that yet, and for how long. 1 day, 1month, 1 year. Unless it was the later, it would not impress me.

Just to verify,

So this has not been done yet, and this is not any long term test.
WOW...are you serious????? I thinks already been done.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddragon8
WOW...are you serious????? I thinks already been done.
Read the article dated Sept 23, and it states they plan on doing this, not that it had been done.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sincerely hope it is a success, but at this point it is unproven. Running it on a dyno, does not prove the technology or product. It may give an idea, but no dyno can compare to real world use. As far as the current engine, 4.6 and 5.4, does anyone care to remember the plug blowout problem, or the plug breaking on the 04 5.4 3v. Those are all designs that supposedly were tested.
As to the turbos. most that I have read about are the first thing to go on the engine, long before things like valve trains, and other parts. Most of what I have read on turbos say that at around 150k they need to be replaced. That is not cheap.

But however it goes, I still feel that any engine that is always performing at near it's max hp/torque will die sooner than an engine which has not be modified to put out it's max.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 AM
But however it goes, I still feel that any engine that is always performing at near it's max hp/torque will die sooner than an engine which has not be modified to put out it's max.

Exactly, and anyone who has built racing machines (not just cars) knows this to be the truth. In that capacity, it is worth it as you only need to get through a race. In real life, things need to last.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Some people need to move away from turbo engines are bad. I have a friend with a 2.0 WRX STI Pro drive that has over 350hp and 350ftlb and has over 180k miles on the same factory turbo. The 3.5 ecoboost has a lot more potential. Reliable 500hp/500tq should be easy for it.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 AM
I'd like to give my opinion. It's just that, my opinion. It doesn't matter to anyone except me. I think the Eco boost will prove to be a powerful and economical engine in the f150. However I also think that the little engine that could will be subjected to real world driving and towing that Ford never tested it for. What about the guys that will be towing down the highway, obviously using nearly full boost for hours then pull in somewhere and shut it off just like they do with a NA engine. The turbos are left there to bake in their own oil. I just agree that the EB is not going to be the answer for Ford and it will prove to be a troublesome and costly engine. You cannot compare the SHO to a F150 nor can you compare the stresses on the engine. It's all fine and good to push the thing for 20 billion hours on a dyno, but real world is going to be a lot tougher on the little engine that might.

Just my .02 I'd buy a 6.2 but you can't get it in an XLT so I'll stick with my 5.4

Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Ok guys. All you have to do is hang around Yucca, Arizona and watch the trucks being tested out on Interstate 8 and State Route 68 during the hot summer months of Arizona.

You see the trucks pulling these trailers with a huge flat panel to catch the wind going up the grade on SR68. You see allot of them broken down and towed out of there also.

And it is really cool to watch the testing on the tracks where some driver is going WOT to the end of the track, does a bunch of 360's and back down the track at WOT again. I thought it would be a great job until I realized how tiring that must be to have to drive a vehicle like that all day.

Also along the southern Interstates of California, Arizona and New Mexico you see test vehicles on the road during the summer from all of the car companies. And what most folks don't know is that some contractor over 2 years ago was probably provided a truck for free just to test a "new engine" that was transplanted into an older truck. It's done all the time.

I am sure a few bugs will have to be worked out on these engines, but overall, I feel you can trust Ford to have done their homework on these motors.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by bluetoy
I'd like to give my opinion. It's just that, my opinion. It doesn't matter to anyone except me. I think the Eco boost will prove to be a powerful and economical engine in the f150. However I also think that the little engine that could will be subjected to real world driving and towing that Ford never tested it for. What about the guys that will be towing down the highway, obviously using nearly full boost for hours then pull in somewhere and shut it off just like they do with a NA engine. The turbos are left there to bake in their own oil. I just agree that the EB is not going to be the answer for Ford and it will prove to be a troublesome and costly engine. You cannot compare the SHO to a F150 nor can you compare the stresses on the engine. It's all fine and good to push the thing for 20 billion hours on a dyno, but real world is going to be a lot tougher on the little engine that might.

Just my .02 I'd buy a 6.2 but you can't get it in an XLT so I'll stick with my 5.4

The turbos are water cooled and designed to be shut off with no cool down period. Read this article and learn something.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=29657

Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already read them. Means nothing as it really doesn't show that the tests were with towing, etc, where a heavy load was put on the engine. Just that they were run at high rpm for a long time. RPM and load are not the same thing.
A dyno is not the same thing as real world use.
You don't think they have a load on it on the dyno? Seriously? It's just sitting there spinning with no load at all? Come on now!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Read the article dated Sept 23, and it states they plan on doing this, not that it had been done.
In addition to the 2011 F-150 EcoBoost that already has hauled logs and pulled racecars, Ford will a second 2011 F-150 EcoBoost at Baja, where those trucks will race not on power-enhancing high-octane racing fuel but on standard pump gasoline.

Its already been done. They just haven't posted it up on their website yet. they are "the next episodes" aka building it up to garner interest...I'm interested. I think that you have your info all wrong my friend...these engines are the future.....the day's of V8's are numbered once this thing does well....I notice from your comments your pretty adament that this thing is gonna fail......I know ford has a bunch of engineers who think otherwise...You are exactly the demograph they are going to have problems winning over...you'll come around. I'll be watching for your posts in the next year or two with your newly purchased ecoboost truck....

Last edited by Reddragon8; 09-24-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: no replacement for displacement? Yeah, right!