2009 - 2014 F-150

Body Side Molding - I Hate To...But...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently noticed that the Platinums have protective door moldings. Good option to maintain a factory look. Think they only come in chrome from what I've seen though

Old 09-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm obsessive about this. While you can't 100% prevent them, you can definitely take steps to minimize...

Some things I do:
- park far away when possible, though it seems this isn't possible in your situation.

- if you do have to park near other cars, look for 'optimal' spaces
- Corner spot so you are only exposed on one side and can pull in close to the curb
- Ideally, you want to curb to be on the passenger side. Most cars are occupied by one person, and most people won't back into parking spots - so if you can find a spot where only passenger doors face you, you reduce the risk.
- find spots where there's less 'churn'. Ex - it's a lot safer to park in 'long term parking' at the airport than in the short-term lot where there's a constant flow of cars in and out. Similar patterns can usually be found in work parking lots
- look for spots next to small 4 door cars, or mini-vans with sliding doors. Running boards/steps will protect from the small cars, and there's no risk with sliding doors - even if it's a kid opening it.

- if you know the parking lot will fill up, I think it's better to go ahead an park between 2 existing cars. You can pick your poison, rather than have some random person park next to you.

They make 'ding protectors' you can put on your car after parking. I figure this would just cause some jerk to intentionally ding the door, but I've never tried them myself.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good excuse to install a remote start/alarm combo. It doesn't prevent it, but I use my alarm to at least ease my mind. If someone dings me I know my alarm will go off, in turn making them:

1. Look like an idiot with other people around.
2. Feel extremely embarrassed having to squeeze the rest of the way out of their car with my alarm going off, and having to walk away from it.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:40 PM
For the OP, a couple of pics of my sport wing body side moldings. I added them because my 06 got dinged up where these are placed and my 09 FX4 also got one ding there. And yes, I park as far away from most people as possible in most public parking lots.

Similar view as above without the side molding for comparison

Old 10-03-2010, 03:57 PM
As others have said nerf bars help protect against car. I had the N-Fab nerf bars on my last truck and they did a good job.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 PM
What is the product # for those side mouldings Hemigod, do they come Painted or primed?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't think those on hemigod's truck look bad at all. You barely notice them.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Nice truck, fogducker.

I got mine at this site.
http://www.sportwing.com/ford-painte...e-molding.aspx

They come prepainted and well packaged I might add. They have them for regular cab, super cab, and super crew.
I've also seen them on another site with a similarly shaped piece that goes on the bed behind the cab.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by hemigod

Similar view as above without the side molding for comparison
if you didnt tell us thay where after maket you would never know! i think thay look good on there did thay come color matched?

Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys. Even after I got them, I wasn't sure I wanted to put them on, and hemmed and hawed about doing it for a week. So I did a trial fit and taped them in place with clear tape. Then I stepped back and decided they didn't look too bad so I mounted them. They mount real easy with 3M tape. The site I ordered them from has color matching for every color I've seen for the 09-10 body style.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM
The site I ordered them from has color matching for every color I've seen for the 09-10 body style.
and that site is???????????????????????????????
drum roll please

crickets and the wind is all we here

Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Nice truck, fogducker.

I got mine at this site.

They come prepainted and well packaged I might add. They have them for regular cab, super cab, and super crew.
I've also seen them on another site with a similarly shaped piece that goes on the bed behind the cab.
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
and that site is???????????????????????????????
drum roll please

crickets and the wind is all we here
lol

Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Nice truck, fogducker.

I got mine at this site.

Yep...I took the plunge and ordered them....from the same company as you got yours. According to FedEx, they're arriving today.

Can't wait! They do seem to look "stock", as opposed to after market. Now, if I can just get them on straight and level!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Running boards etc don't help with the rear doors of cars, the wheel arch is custom made for missing boards and dinging your truck.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Nice truck, fogducker.

I got mine at this site.
see when i posted up last time i was way to drunk/hung over to see you had told us already lol
now i Am up to par

Quick Reply: Body Side Molding - I Hate To...But...