2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 or EB??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EB numbers are using regular, not premium!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TX Chris
The EB numbers are using regular, not premium!
Not according to the 2011 F150 website.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f...ations/engine/

Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Yes and no. The EB gets its best HP/torque using premium, not regular, although it will run on regular. The 5.0 numbers are with regular. That kills at least part of the mileage advantage. How much is still to be determined as the official (EPA) numbers are not out.

Other things I question as others have is the durability, especially of an engine that has been "tweeked" that much. Hope it is good, but only time will tell. That also holds true of the 3.7 and 5.0, but not as much as they have not been tweeked like the EB. Another question will be what happens with the 3.7, 5.0, and 3.5EB as compared to the 6.2, as they are all aluminum blocks, while the 6.2 is cast iron. What will happen on a bad overheat? Aluminum blocks do have more problems when overheated.
I sincerely hope all will be good, but most of these changes are for one thing and one thing only. New mileage standards.
BS, the advertised power # ofd the EB is on REGULAR. Read any of the ford press releases from last week when they we're announced. It will get more on premium but those # are not certified yet.
Do some research before you argue a point as the gospel.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Not according to the 2011 F150 website.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f...ations/engine/
You are half-way correct.

Ford's "Best Performance on Premium Capable on Regular Unleaded" quote simply means the engine will make more power on premium fuel. The 365/420 number is regular unleaded.

I asked the same question in another thread and was quickly reminded that the power numbers are based on regular unleaded. The proof was provided there so I'm not going to search for a link...

Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
BS, the advertised power # ofd the EB is on REGULAR. Read any of the ford press releases from last week when they we're announced. It will get more on premium but those # are not certified yet.
Do some research before you argue a point as the gospel.
Have done a search and nothing I have seen states premium or regular. And since when has any auto manufacturer advertised the lower numbers om HP and torque. Ford who put up the best numbers for the engine, which would be the premium numbers. If you have any sites which state the fuel type put them up. I asked the same question before and got no response.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Have done a search and nothing I have seen states premium or regular. And since when has any auto manufacturer advertised the lower numbers om HP and torque. Ford who put up the best numbers for the engine, which would be the premium numbers. If you have any sites which state the fuel type put them up. I asked the same question before and got no response.
Here you go, taken from this thread.

Originally Posted by Power Kid
Its been cyrstal clear: REGULAR

LMFAO

"The 3.5-liter EcoBoost truck engine delivers 365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm, with up to 90 percent of the peak torque available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm – all on regular fuel"

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33260

Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
regular unleaded is also mentioned in the September 20 press release

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33096

l3.5-liter Ti-VCT EcoBoost
The 3.5-liter EcoBoost is a premium engine offering available after launch with power comparable to a naturally aspirated V8 and fuel economy of smaller-displacement engines. Its attributes include:

* 365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm on regular fuel
* Best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm on regular fuel
* Best-in-class 11,300 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. all competitors
* Best-in-class 3,060 pounds payload vs. all competitors
* Up to 90 percent of peak torque available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm
* Ti-VCT creates precise, variable timing control of both the intake and exhaust camshafts to optimize power, performance and fuel economy
* Fuel economy improves up to 20 percent vs. 2010 F-150 5.4-liter V8
* Improved intake and exhaust camshafts optimized for improved fuel economy and performance
* Cast exhaust manifolds for heavy-duty operation and durability
* Improved manifold and cylinder heads for improved performance
* Direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) valvetrain with polished buckets to reduce friction and improve fuel economy
* Built at Cleveland Engine Plant

Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
Here you go, taken from this thread.
Thanks. Interesting that they wouldn't advertise the higher HP/torque of premium. Something you do not normally get with a NA engine.
I did find an interesting tidbit in my search. These things have a fuel pressure of 2150psi. imagine working on it and have a fuel line go.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks. Interesting that they wouldn't advertise the higher HP/torque of premium. Something you do not normally get with a NA engine.
I did find an interesting tidbit in my search. These things have a fuel pressure of 2150psi. imagine working on it and have a fuel line go.
It hasn't been certified yet. It will come out soon.

The high fuel pressure is the design of a Direct Injection motor. Diesel motors have similar, high PSI at the fuel rail. Most Direct Injected motors have 2 fuel pumps. One at the Fuel rail in addition to the In tank pump. You can look at Mazda's 2.3 Turbo motor or Audi's 2.0 FSI motor for reference.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:26 PM
It would be interesting to know whether the EB F150s at the drive event were being run on regular or premium fuel.

To the OP, I think either engine will be a fantastic choice.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:45 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I can't brake my new 5.4 loose in the rain
Turn off the traction control.

The EB numbers on premium will be released when they have been certified.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
@TX Chris, you said that you could break it loose at 45 MPH, I can't brake my new 5.4 loose in the rain (in a strait line on pavement) from a stop. In your opinion, is this more a result of the power of the engines, or great throttle response?
Somethings definitely not right there, I accidentally chirp my tires all the time and I'm not even hard on the throttle. If I actually floor it it'll spin them pretty good for a little bit. Gettin loose at 45 is out of the question though haha, that'd be pretty impressive to see from a stock f150!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by glc
Turn off the traction control.
I've done that. Still no squeaking of tires

Originally Posted by agdaniels
Somethings definitely not right there, I accidentally chirp my tires all the time and I'm not even hard on the throttle. If I actually floor it it'll spin them pretty good for a little bit. Gettin loose at 45 is out of the question though haha, that'd be pretty impressive to see from a stock f150!

Here's thread I started to try and not derail this one

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...nse-power.html

Old 09-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EB, all the way...

The biggest problem that FoMoCo is going to have overcoming the opinions from the core truck population is that a V6 can't do the job of a V8... quite the contrary.... towing a 8k+ trailer with the EB was a breeze and it had plenty of oomph to get up and over hills -- past semis -- and plenty of power to accelerate. I was *VERY* impressed with this motor!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
EB, all the way...

The biggest problem that FoMoCo is going to have overcoming the opinions from the core truck population is that a V6 can't do the job of a V8... quite the contrary.... towing a 8k+ trailer with the EB was a breeze and it had plenty of oomph to get up and over hills -- past semis -- and plenty of power to accelerate. I was *VERY* impressed with this motor!!!

I would love to trade my truck in for the EB. I am not concerned with the workload because I am sure that Ford has taken that into account before producing this motor and chasis combo. Iam more concerned about the sound....I love my V8 rumble. Would be funny to put a big BOV on the EB though

Quick Reply: 5.0 or EB??