2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 or EB??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
The only disappointment to me was that we couldn't tow with the 5.0 or 6.2 so now I have no way to compare it to the ecoboost.
Agree, but Ford really wants to promote EB so most of the test drive trucks were EB.

I was able to drive the Hemi Ram on the long tow course to compare it to the EB F150. The Hemi is a nice engine (I like the Ram better than the Silverado, though F150 is nicer than both of them!), but the trans had too big of a ratio jump between 1st and 2nd gear that made it feel a little flat compared to the 6speed EB. But the big problem with Ram was the rear suspension. It has a nice ride empty, but bounced around too much with 6500lbs on the hitch. Stuff like this is what you'll discover during one of these events.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I think it was worth it. And the rain did make it possible to drive everything several times. I still say the 5.0 is the way to go for me. The EB is also nice. I think the 5.0 is a little more fun to drive. The 6.2 is great, but I wouldn't own one.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 PM
The high pressure fuel system kinda turns me off...if anything like a diesel when am injector goes, so does the engine. Floods the cylinder causing hydrolock...

Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I willl take the ecoboost. It has more hp, more torque, is faster and is expected to get 5% better mpg than the 5.0- Oh and it tows like a diesel with none of those shifts to 7000 rpm like the 5.0
You make a good point but I dont tow all that much. I think the 5.0 would be best for me. When I tow its only 4K lbs or so. Maybe a bit more. But, it should handle it ok. The EB engine would have to get a big bunch more mileage for me to consider it. I am all for the new stuff so dont get me wrong. Ford has given us choices and that is a good thing.

Finally, they have put some real power in the best truck ever built. I will not even look at a Gm truck for many reasons and I have owned three in a row. I am done with them. The GM trucks fall apart around the engines. Truly sad. If they think the bailout didnt matter they thought wrong. Its Ford Motor Company from here on out. I am a die hard Mustang guy deep down and since Mulally took over this company is doing everything right. I love this guy. He is listening to consumers and making changes for the better. I cant wait to get rid of my GMC truck. It has fallen apart around the 4.3 engine. Its been a POS to be honest. It rattles and makes all kinds of noises. I have replaced everything on it once except the engine.

Last edited by Mustang9; 10-08-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 AM
If I didn't tow much I'd get a 5.0L too. Sound alone.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 5point4
The high pressure fuel system kinda turns me off...if anything like a diesel when am injector goes, so does the engine. Floods the cylinder causing hydrolock...

Good thing you drive a 2005, then. They NEVER do that !!!

==> http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ti...call_07M08.pdf

Get over the fuel system - you can bet the injectors are top-quality.

[Also remember - higher pressure does not mean higher volume - a #19 or #24 lb injector is rated the same at application-specific respective design/operating rail pressures. I think the rating metric is @ 80% duty cycle. If it gets stuck,it will flow that rated volume regardless (in essence - the higher pressure injector will have a smaller orifice). The 'flood rate' will be approx the same for any of these engines. So no worries. A hydrolock is a hydrolock ]

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-08-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I would like to see ALL of the EPA fuel numbers before deciding as my commute factors in. We are supposed to find out this month?

Of course, there is the issue brought up by FX4Life about lifitng and whatnot. I have alrerady decided to have mine lifted before I drive it off the lot as it saves me from discussions later at the house. Also, I agree on the sound, although not as big a deal. And let me end this disjointed rambling with this, I would think the tuners will go nutz with the EB, so don't worry about power as much as your warranty.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:30 AM
October 14 Ford has a webcast to reveal EPA figures for all engines but the ecoboost

Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

Good thing you drive a 2005, then. They NEVER do that !!!

==> http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ti...call_07M08.pdf

Get over the fuel system - you can bet the injectors are top-quality.

[Also remember - higher pressure does not mean higher volume - a #19 or #24 lb injector is rated the same at application-specific respective design/operating rail pressures. I think the rating metric is @ 80% duty cycle. If it gets stuck,it will flow that rated volume regardless (in essence - the higher pressure injector will have a smaller orifice). The 'flood rate' will be approx the same for any of these engines. So no worries. A hydrolock is a hydrolock ]

MGD
In a 6.4 PSD now, it's happened to me, with top quality injectors. Of course no doubt they are going for top quality but things do go out...and from what I understand the ecoboost is direct injection with 2500 fuel pressure?? Correct me if I'm wrong I've read so much it gets jumbled together. Now that no 25000 diesels can make, but way over the what, 50? On a standard gas engine. Ecoboost doesn't have your normal gas delivery system. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the ecoboost rocks but guess I really like my v8s and I'm trying to justify

Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 5point4
In a 6.4 PSD now, it's happened to me, with top quality injectors. Of course no doubt they are going for top quality but things do go out...and from what I understand the ecoboost is direct injection with 2500 fuel pressure?? Correct me if I'm wrong I've read so much it gets jumbled together. Now that no 25000 diesels can make, but way over the what, 50? On a standard gas engine. Ecoboost doesn't have your normal gas delivery system. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the ecoboost rocks but guess I really like my v8s and I'm trying to justify
Roger that sir! I think these are also piezo injectors (less prone to sticking).

I agree though - when you are used to a ~50 PSI rail, an order or two magnitude increase can be a sphincter-constricting concept

MGD

Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Roger that sir! I think these are also piezo injectors (less prone to sticking).

I agree though - when you are used to a ~50 PSI rail, an order or two magnitude increase can be a sphincter-constricting concept

MGD
Lol! And a justification tool.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
The last V6 did well. In fact, it was the most reliable engine ever made in a pickup truck.

"According to Consumer Reports' used car reliability history data, the 2004–2008 F-150 with the 4.2 L V6 engine is the most reliable American pickup truck ever produced in history. It scored a rating of excellent for five straight consecutive years within one body generation, something that domestics had never earned in the past."
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the new EB engines and have lots of faith in Ford's pre-production testing of them. I do however kind of doubt the CR data on the previous V6 - which by the way has almost nothing in common with the new EB V6 engine.

So why would I doubt such a grand old publication? Well, did you ever try to order a 2004-2008 with the V6 engine? It was virtually impossible to get. About the only way to get it was in a stripper regular cab work truck. Those were mostly ordered by commercial customers - who don't do much in the way of responding to CR surveys. So my hunch is that the great rating was due to a really, really small sample size. I may be wrong, but ...

BTW, my next one is probably going to have an EB motor under the hood.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the new EB engines and have lots of faith in Ford's pre-production testing of them. I do however kind of doubt the CR data on the previous V6 - which by the way has almost nothing in common with the new EB V6 engine.

So why would I doubt such a grand old publication? Well, did you ever try to order a 2004-2008 with the V6 engine? It was virtually impossible to get. About the only way to get it was in a stripper regular cab work truck. Those were mostly ordered by commercial customers - who don't do much in the way of responding to CR surveys. So my hunch is that the great rating was due to a really, really small sample size. I may be wrong, but ...

BTW, my next one is probably going to have an EB motor under the hood.
On the other hand if most were work trucks, maybe the folks that used them actually did some work with them- so thats a better indicator of reliability than the guys that use them like a station wagon or commuter car.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the other hand if most were work trucks, maybe the folks that used them actually did some work with them- so thats a better indicator of reliability than the guys that use them like a station wagon or commuter car.
Yes, but most of these were "fleet" work trucks. That means they were not owned by indivduals (which generally provide feedback to CR), but rather by companies (which generally do not).

Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Yes, but most of these were "fleet" work trucks. That means they were not owned by indivduals (which generally provide feedback to CR), but rather by companies (which generally do not).
What data do you have that says that fleet owners don't provide feedback?

If I had a fleet of trucks I would dang sure let Ford know what worked and didn't work for me, and as I said Ford would definitely want their data, as the roughnecks, construction workers, etc definitely test them.

Quick Reply: 5.0 or EB??