2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 or EB??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustan9,

The DFW/TMS even was the first time I've ever driven a modern Chevy truck. That thing really was not in the same league as the Fords or the RAM. I have no idea why anyone would buy one over the other choices.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The EB engines will not hold up over time and they will become a money pit. I'm gonna pick up a 5.0 screw after the dust settles in the February timeframe hopefully.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Well, did you ever try to order a 2004-2008 with the V6 engine? It was virtually impossible to get. About the only way to get it was in a stripper regular cab work truck.
The v6 was only offered in standard cab 4x2 trucks after the 2003 model year. So XL, STX and XLT standard cab vehicles during that timeframe. You could not get on in a scab or screw if you wanted to. And you wouldnt want one either. I have a standard cab 2005, and while I never had any problems with the motor itself, I have had a ton of problems with other components, mainly brakes, tranny and other driveline (driveshaft, rear end), Air Conditioning, etc

Old 10-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
The EB engines will not hold up over time and they will become a money pit. I'm gonna pick up a 5.0 screw after the dust settles in the February timeframe hopefully.
Thank you Mr. Expert, I will not buy an EB now just because you said so.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
What data do you have that says that fleet owners don't provide feedback?

If I had a fleet of trucks I would dang sure let Ford know what worked and didn't work for me, and as I said Ford would definitely want their data, as the roughnecks, construction workers, etc definitely test them.
I'd suggest you ask CR directly if they receive equally representative feedback from fleet and individual owners. That's the only real way to settle this one.

Remember, I bleed Ford blue too, but I know that all manufacturers pump up any positive press they get - from any quarter and no matter how statistically irrelevant it might be.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And speaking of statistically irrelevant ...

Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by racer114
Mustan9,

The DFW/TMS even was the first time I've ever driven a modern Chevy truck. That thing really was not in the same league as the Fords or the RAM. I have no idea why anyone would buy one over the other choices.
When I was looking for a truck, of the big 3, GM disappointed me the most. I was most interested in a mid-level trim and Chevy/GMC had the worst interior of the three at this level. Also, you have to spend quite a bit to get the 6 speed in a GM truck. The Ram was a close competitor to the F150. The interior was nice and the overall quality was better than the GM twins. The Ram also was a nice driver with the coil spring rear end. However, I was a little nervous about the long term reliabilty and resale of the Ram. Additionally my attempts to deal with a couple of local dealers soured me too. They didn't seem very interested in my money. My dad has an older Ram and although the engine and trans have been fine (he has a hemi and it guzzles gas!) the rest of the truck is a rattle trap and overall the fit and finish are poor.

Based on all that, I ended up at my local Ford dealer. They went out of their way to get me a good deal and I drove away with 2010 SCREW XLT. I would have loved to wait for a 2011 with the 5.0, but $12K off on the 2010 sold me. I also like my little 4.6-3v 6 speed combo. Not the fastest truck out there but it gets the job done and gets pretty decent mileage to boot.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Yep rotor, I agree. You got a nice truck. I actually likes some things about the RAM, but I still felt the interior was not up to par and fit and finish was a little off, which is typical of Dodge vehicles in my experience. I also agree on the interior of the Chevy. I think the one they had was likely the Chevy equivalent of an XLT and it felt like going back in time ten years when you climbed in. The brakes (or lack thereof) on that thing actually scared me.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Thank you Mr. Expert, I will not buy an EB now just because you said so.
I would put money on you buying it and it being a piece of **** you will regret in 4 years, or are you the type of person that buys a new one every 2 years and dont care about such things?

Originally Posted by 2stroked
And speaking of statistically irrelevant ...
Tell ya what, go ahead and get one. Let us know how it works out.

I envision the February timeframe everyone will be ranting and raving about how good they are, then flash forward about a year, we will see the problems start cropping up.

This engine has not been in any severe duty application, unless you consider a Taurus that...

Would have been interesting if they put it in the Police Edition Crown Vic, you would have at least had something to compare it to, but they are doing their best to kill that platform.

Last edited by crazynip; 10-10-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So crazynip, where do you get your info on the EB? Sounds to me like you are incredibly misinformed or overly opinionated.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What type of empirical data, factual evidence or statistical values do you have to back up this claim? There really isn't any type of groundbreaking technology used on the Ecoboost motors. They have just combined many proven concepts into one package that delivers exceptional results.

I fully expect the doubters to be eating a lot of crow once this motor gets into the customers garages. I can't wait until there is a V6 in my 2011 KR!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I hope all the engines do well.
For my limited hauling and towing I would lean heavily towards the EB.
If you drive a long way to work then the EB seams to be a winner. Pickuptruck.com stated the EB moded for max fuel efficiency was returning 28-30 mpg (WOW).

Here is the quote from Pickuptrucks.com:

@Big T: Most of the EcoBoost trucks in the mileage challenge had 3.15 rear axles and were SuperCrews. IIRC they were also two-wheel-drive but I can't recall for sure and forgot to write that down. :-( Still, 30 mpg is amazing and 22 mpg is very respectable.

The best 3.73 truck was right at 30 mpg. Two more at 28 mpg.
Posted by: Mike Levine | Sep 27, 2010 11:15:57 AM

Last edited by DBPFORD; 10-10-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow indeed!!! Considering my 05 5.4 is my DD and I average 17 MPG...

Last edited by Stealth; 10-10-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Rotorguy
Based on all that, I ended up at my local Ford dealer. They went out of their way to get me a good deal and I drove away with 2010 SCREW XLT. I would have loved to wait for a 2011 with the 5.0, but $12K off on the 2010 sold me. I also like my little 4.6-3v 6 speed combo. Not the fastest truck out there but it gets the job done and gets pretty decent mileage to boot.
i have the same problem...i wanna wait for the 11's but i was looking online and its seems 5 of the closest dealers to me got more 2010s delivered, plus the ones that have been a lot for a long time. im guessing in my area, people are waiting for the 11's or cant afford a $30,000+ truck.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by matthew87
i have the same problem...i wanna wait for the 11's but i was looking online and its seems 5 of the closest dealers to me got more 2010s delivered, plus the ones that have been a lot for a long time. im guessing in my area, people are waiting for the 11's or cant afford a $30,000+ truck.
My local dealers also have lots of '10 models on the lot still. I'm sure the deals will not be that good when the '11s hits the showroom floor at the end of the year. The '11s have several nice upgrades like the engines, range selectable trans and info screen, but I'm happy with the '10 and my bank account likes the idea of a nicely equipped SCREW for $22K......

Quick Reply: 5.0 or EB??