2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 or EB??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotorguy
My local dealers also have lots of '10 models on the lot still. I'm sure the deals will not be that good when the '11s hits the showroom floor at the end of the year. The '11s have several nice upgrades like the engines, range selectable trans and info screen, but I'm happy with the '10 and my bank account likes the idea of a nicely equipped SCREW for $22K......
u can get a screw for 22 thousands? what model is it. its such a pain in the *** living in NJ cause its the insurance that kills us here

Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
I would put money on you buying it and it being a piece of **** you will regret in 4 years, or are you the type of person that buys a new one every 2 years and dont care about such things?

Tell ya what, go ahead and get one. Let us know how it works out.

I envision the February timeframe everyone will be ranting and raving about how good they are, then flash forward about a year, we will see the problems start cropping up.

This engine has not been in any severe duty application, unless you consider a Taurus that...

Would have been interesting if they put it in the Police Edition Crown Vic, you would have at least had something to compare it to, but they are doing their best to kill that platform.
You'll be hard pressed to even find an F150 in severe duty use these days.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I met a guy driving a EB that stopped at a gas station in my town while I was filling up.

He was coming from the Dallas event and was heading back to Detroit.

He was towing a pretty good size box trailer and said he was getting about 11 mpg.

He said without the trailer he could get close to 22 mpg.

I told him I was getting close to that in my 2010 5.4L Lariat.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by matthew87
u can get a screw for 22 thousands? what model is it. its such a pain in the *** living in NJ cause its the insurance that kills us here
In Texas no problem. Probably more F150s sold in Texas than the rest of the country combined........OK that is speculation on my part

My local dealers ad: http://www.5starford.com/j/i/34804/NewSpecials.html $22K for a XLT.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In Texas no problem. Probably more F150s sold in Texas than the rest of the country combined........OK that is speculation on my part

My local dealers ad: http://www.5starford.com/j/i/34804/NewSpecials.html $22K for a XLT.
Yep, trucks are less than cars here.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
There are 2010 F-150s galore out there here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Interestingly though, I just traded mine yesterday and got $1K less than I paid at the beginning of the year. I was surprised, as new ones are around the same amount.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
I met a guy driving a EB that stopped at a gas station in my town while I was filling up.

He was coming from the Dallas event and was heading back to Detroit.

He was towing a pretty good size box trailer and said he was getting about 11 mpg.

He said without the trailer he could get close to 22 mpg.

I told him I was getting close to that in my 2010 5.4L Lariat.
You can get "close" to that with considerably less hp, tq and be much slower. Thats what I call progress.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
You can get "close" to that with considerably less hp, tq and be much slower. Thats what I call progress.
LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM

good lord you can get a lariat for $30,000 (lariats out her runs no less than $40,000....the xlt i was looking at here in nj has a msrp of 32,000 with almost every option. (which is a steal i think cause some dealers have trucks with half the options for 35,000)

then add the cost of insurance...about 2,700-3,000 a year or so and its gets expensive

i gotta take a road trip to texas..lol

Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm still of the mindset that any V6 in a full size truck is unacceptable. The EB might perform better and get better MPG's, but I still can't shed the feeling. I'm expecting the aftermarket selection to be higher with the 5.0 than the EB.

Just my opinion, don't go all crazy on me.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM
What about a truck intended for mods? For instance I've decided on trading out of my 2007 now that Ford finally is putting something interesting under the hood. I also plan to lift it again and do a little engine work. I'm thinking everything under the sun will be available for the 5.0 in a year or so and from everything I've read that engine is just waiting for a blower. I'm sure Roush, Whipple and others are planning them now. I don't think I'd do much to the EB, though it really doesn't need much. Maybe a mild tune. Or the 6.2 and hydraulic steering? Anyone have thoughts on how the electronic steering and bigger tires will hold up?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
You know the aftermarket for the 5.0 will be strong - the Mustang shares a very similar engine and I'm sure the vast majority of the parts will be interchangable.

But the SHO also shares the EB, so it should have a pretty decent aftermarket offering as well...

I'm buying an EB and will probably leave it stock til the warranty runs out. If it's been problem-free, I'll probably do the basics at that time (exhaust, improved intake, tune) and be happy with it. No need for a 500hp truck for me (that's why I have my Mustang).

Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by FX4life
I'm curious how everyone thinks the EB will stand up to and do power wise with large lifts and large tires; similar to what I have now because the time for a truck is approaching and I can't drive anything stock My current 5.4 has enough power for me as a daily driver even with the lift, nothing impressive, but I have never had any issues doing what I needed... I'm in good hopes the new engines will let me have the large lift, impressive power, and do more than I need
I would like to bring back this post, not much of a response to it. I dont know much about the new engines at all, but my personal concern is more between the 5.0 and 6.2...I just cannot have a V6 in my truck and I don't tow often enough. How is the mileage differences between the two V8s? The lift and 35s KILLED the mileage on my 5.4L and it is a dog in the mountains where I drive uphill a lot. I do haul a lot, many times heavy loads. I probably wouldn't lift my next one as high, thinking 4" lift and 33s. Which engine will give me the better power/mileage and would the 6.2 be worth it for the additional stress of a lift and tires?

I would want the same cab config, supercab 6.5 bed and 4x4. Don't plan to upgrade for a year or 2, let the kinks of the new engines get worked out.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
I would like to bring back this post, not much of a response to it. I dont know much about the new engines at all, but my personal concern is more between the 5.0 and 6.2...I just cannot have a V6 in my truck and I don't tow often enough. How is the mileage differences between the two V8s? The lift and 35s KILLED the mileage on my 5.4L and it is a dog in the mountains where I drive uphill a lot. I do haul a lot, many times heavy loads. I probably wouldn't lift my next one as high, thinking 4" lift and 33s. Which engine will give me the better power/mileage and would the 6.2 be worth it for the additional stress of a lift and tires?

I would want the same cab config, supercab 6.5 bed and 4x4. Don't plan to upgrade for a year or 2, let the kinks of the new engines get worked out.
I can only imagine the larger 6.2 would be able to handle the lift / tires / towing better than the 5.0 due to having more hp/tq available at typical highway rpm. It may very well consume more fuel, but you have to pick your poison so to speak.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mSaLL150

Good luck getting a 6.2; they will only be available in a few very expensive models with very limited numbers. I think I read somewhere ~3000/year. This leaves you looking at the EB or 5.0. From what you describe you would actually be much better off with the EB, if you can get over the fact it is a V6.

-It has much greater low end torque than either V8. The 5.0 will need to be revved to get into the real power. Adding larger wheels and tires will make it harder to rev up and get into where the motor makes its most power. The EB doesn't need to rev, it is already there at idle. Revving the engine uses more gas.

-It is force fed which works much better than NA in higher altitudes. The turbo will make up for the lack of oxygen in the air.

-The small cost difference between the EB and 5.0(~$750) will be saved in fuel pretty quickly. In your case it will be even quicker as the mileage will drop much more with the 5.0 than the EB. Going the 6.2 route (if you can get it in the config you want) will cost you much more and you will never make it back as I suspect its mileage will drop more than the EB when lifted.

Quick Reply: 5.0 or EB??