2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 or EB??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2012 Ford Police Interceptor

Originally Posted by crazynip
Would have been interesting if they put it in the Police Edition Crown Vic, you would have at least had something to compare it to, but they are doing their best to kill that platform.
Say what? Ford is designing a brand new Police Interceptor, based off the Taurus platform, for police fleets. There will be a couple engine choices, one of which will be an EcoBoost. If you haven't seen it yet (obviously), go check it out. For it's intended purpose, it's incredibly sweet.

PS They are also working on a police utility vehicle as well, based off the new Explorer platform. Both of these vehicles are being designed exclusively for police duty. Ford has done a great job on them, IMO. Again, go check 'em out! EB engines will be an integral part of Ford's automobiles going forward, even in police pursuit applications.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1129&bih=734

Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Wookie
Good luck getting a 6.2; they will only be available in a few very expensive models with very limited numbers. I think I read somewhere ~3000/year. This leaves you looking at the EB or 5.0. From what you describe you would actually be much better off with the EB, if you can get over the fact it is a V6.

-It has much greater low end torque than either V8. The 5.0 will need to be revved to get into the real power. Adding larger wheels and tires will make it harder to rev up and get into where the motor makes its most power. The EB doesn't need to rev, it is already there at idle. Revving the engine uses more gas.

-It is force fed which works much better than NA in higher altitudes. The turbo will make up for the lack of oxygen in the air.

-The small cost difference between the EB and 5.0(~$750) will be saved in fuel pretty quickly. In your case it will be even quicker as the mileage will drop much more with the 5.0 than the EB. Going the 6.2 route (if you can get it in the config you want) will cost you much more and you will never make it back as I suspect its mileage will drop more than the EB when lifted.
Thanks for the response. I have some pretty good connections at Ford, lets assume I won't have an issue getting the 6.2 in my truck of choice. Would it be worth it to have over the 5.0? I understand the EB is probably the most practical engine for me, but I need to drive one first. Just throwing around ideas now. (and if I do get one of the V8s, I will likely make it force fed in the future ) I'm less concerned with mileage as I am with my truck having some ***** in the hills.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 10-12-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Which engine will give me the better power/mileage and would the 6.2 be worth it for the additional stress of a lift and tires?

I would want the same cab config, supercab 6.5 bed and 4x4. Don't plan to upgrade for a year or 2, let the kinks of the new engines get worked out.
I don't think the 6.2L will be available in any super cab configuration EXCEPT the Raptor. Otherwise it will be SCrew with 5.5' beds.

As far as would it be worth it over the 5.0L? That's highly subjective. The 5.0L is a sweet engine that will respond well to modifications I think. The 6.2L has the power already, but at a $1995 price tag over the base 5.0L. That can buy a lot of gas/mods/lift/tires/etc! And considering what you're paying for, I can't imagine why the 6.2L would actually be more expensive to build/sell than the 5.0L, except for the sheer fact that Ford does not want to sell very many of these 6.2L engines (for CAFE reasons I'm sure). So unless you truly want the uniqueness of the 6.2L (they will be fairly unique I think), I'd stick with the 5.0L. But that's just me.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 AM
My thing is how is the e steering going to do with the added stress of big tires/etc? Why did they leave it (hydraulic)for the 6.2? More durable with the weight or just want that package altogther old school? I believe the EB will be fantastic and the 5.0 with a blower would be a monster everywhere. The thing that concerns me more than turbo's or any of the other stuff is the e steering. Otherwise the 6.2 isn't that appealing to me. Been done.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDawg
My thing is how is the e steering going to do with the added stress of big tires/etc? Why did they leave it (hydraulic)for the 6.2? More durable with the weight or just want that package altogther old school? I believe the EB will be fantastic and the 5.0 with a blower would be a monster everywhere. The thing that concerns me more than turbo's or any of the other stuff is the e steering. Otherwise the 6.2 isn't that appealing to me. Been done.
I bet the biggest reason is $$$. The other places where the 6.2 is used all have the old school hydro pump; to upgrade the F-150 would cost money in design time and parts. For the limited number of trucks that will have this it is not worth it. All of the applications that use the EB and 5.0 use the e-pump so there is very little cost to use it on the F-150.

From what I understand the change is mostly in the pump. The hydro one steals engine power to run. The electric one uses power the alternator is already making to run. The net effect is less drag on the engine from spinning the pump so you have more power and fuel efficiency.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the response. I have some pretty good connections at Ford, lets assume I won't have an issue getting the 6.2 in my truck of choice. Would it be worth it to have over the 5.0? I understand the EB is probably the most practical engine for me, but I need to drive one first. Just throwing around ideas now. (and if I do get one of the V8s, I will likely make it force fed in the future ) I'm less concerned with mileage as I am with my truck having some ***** in the hills.
The 6.2 will only be in the Platinum, Lariat Limited and Raptor unless you have connections named Henry Ford or Allan Mullay, in most of those trucks it is a $2000 premium over the 5.0. So you have a truck that is already priced several thousand over a FX4 or Lariat with another $2000+ in options to get the 6.2. For the price difference you could get the 5.0 and have the Ford Racing supercharger installed by the dealer and have a full warranty and put out way more power! The EB is a happy medium. It is $750 more than the 5.0 and makes great power off the lot. Is having the 6.2 really worth it? That’s a lot of money to spend just to have bragging rights in the locker room. It’s your money but I know how I will spend mine. I can’t make a good justification for the 6.2. It costs too much, the mileage will be less, and the aftermarket will be much smaller than the 5.0 or EB.

What is the elevation of the hills you drive in? A forced induction motor will still make its power at higher elevations when a naturally aspirated motor will pant and wheeze.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by BlackDawg
It was left off of the 6.2 due to the extra weight of that engine. Saying that, putting larger tires (than the 20" that you can get on some F-150 models) will more than likely stress the e-steering and cause premature failure. It will be interesting to see if Ford has a statement in their warranty about larger tires voiding the warranty for the steering- on the other hand it may already be there to cover the tranny when folks go with oversized tires.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM

The 6.2 will only be in the Platinum, Lariat Limited and Raptor unless you have connections named Henry Ford or Allan Mullay, in most of those trucks it is a $2000 premium over the 5.0. So you have a truck that is already priced several thousand over a FX4 or Lariat with another $2000+ in options to get the 6.2. For the price difference you could get the 5.0 and have the Ford Racing supercharger installed by the dealer and have a full warranty and put out way more power! The EB is a happy medium. It is $750 more than the 5.0 and makes great power off the lot. Is having the 6.2 really worth it? That’s a lot of money to spend just to have bragging rights in the locker room. It’s your money but I know how I will spend mine. I can’t make a good justification for the 6.2. It costs too much, the mileage will be less, and the aftermarket will be much smaller than the 5.0 or EB.

What is the elevation of the hills you drive in? A forced induction motor will still make its power at higher elevations when a naturally aspirated motor will pant and wheeze.
I didn't realize that price premiums were that much, 6.2 looks impractical. Looks like the 5.0 is the engine for me, I just have to have the V8 rumble (although I've never driven the EB, maybe it will change my mind). And like I said this switch is at least a year or 2 away, maybe the engine offerings in particular models will be different by then. I would like the give the EB a few years to see how well it holds up to abuse. I need my truck to run daily under stress and the 5.4L has been very reliable, I would just appreciate more power when merging and in the hills where the 5.4 is sucking wind badly.

Another thing, obviously the 5.0 will be easily modified for more power. Since the EB is factory turbo'd, will an aftermarket tune net any increase in power or is the EB 6 cylinder pretty much at full potential when it rolls off the lot??

The elevation of hills is primarily between 3500 and 7000 feet.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 10-12-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I didn't realize that price premiums were that much, 6.2 looks impractical. Looks like the 5.0 is the engine for me, I just have to have the V8 rumble (although I've never driven the EB, maybe it will change my mind). And like I said this switch is at least a year or 2 away, maybe the engine offerings in particular models will be different by then. I would like the give the EB a few years to see how well it holds up to abuse. I need my truck to run daily under stress and the 5.4L has been very reliable, I would just appreciate more power when merging and in the hills where the 5.4 is sucking wind badly.

Another thing, obviously the 5.0 will be easily modified for more power. Since the EB is factory turbo'd, will an aftermarket tune net any increase in power or is the EB 6 cylinder pretty much at full potential when it rolls off the lot??

The elevation of hills is primarily between 3500 and 7000 feet.
^^ It's just getting started. I'm about positive it is vastly under-tuned out-the-door.

"A concert hall on wheels" + "V8 rumble"? Contradiction?

MGD

Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
"A concert hall on wheels" + "V8 rumble"? Contradiction?

MGD
hehe. On the gas you hear the engine, off the gas/cruising you only hear the music.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 PM

You can also have it in the Lariat with max tow package.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Since the EB is factory turbo'd, will an aftermarket tune net any increase in power or is the EB 6 cylinder pretty much at full potential when it rolls off the lot??
They're making 70whp and 70ft-pd of torque at the wheel in the Taurus SHO.

That's in the 90hp/100hp and 90ft-pd/100ft-pd ball park at the engine.

I'm confident, that with tuning, exhaust and intake we'll be in the 450hp and 450ft-pd easily.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by °°Pat°°

I'm confident, that with tuning, exhaust and intake we'll be in the 450hp and 450ft-pd easily.
I'm going for 500/500 with intercooler upgrades, colder plugs, fuel system tweaks, and premium fuel (or E85).

MGD

Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by °°Pat°°

Wow, thats impressive. With that much torque on a flat curve right from 2k RPMs, it should haul ***.

Quick Reply: 5.0 or EB??