2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 or EB??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 or EB??

Im having a really hard time deciding...what are you gonna do and why.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 AM
EB if you want more power, more torque and better fuel economy.

5.0 if you want less power, less torque and worse fuel economy and less towing prowess in the mountains/high altitude.

EB costs $750 more than the 5.0, but you can make that up in a little over a year in fuel savings and actually start to make money over the 5.0.

5.0 costs less upfront but you don't get the fuel savings.

EB if you want max towing capability.

5.0 if you have to have it now - will be available at start.
EB if you can wait a few months - will be later arrival.

To me it's a no brainer: EB.

Last edited by bluegreenf150; 09-27-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:07 AM

All that sounds good on paper, i just wonder how the V6 will handle the workload over years of abuse...that is if it actually gets used as a truck. Not saying it can't or wont, but its new engine to be tested...but of course so is the 5.0, kinda.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:29 AM
The last V6 did well. In fact, it was the most reliable engine ever made in a pickup truck.

"According to Consumer Reports' used car reliability history data, the 2004–2008 F-150 with the 4.2 L V6 engine is the most reliable American pickup truck ever produced in history. It scored a rating of excellent for five straight consecutive years within one body generation, something that domestics had never earned in the past."

Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
It cracks me up how everyone is talking about the EB being 'unproven'. The ONLY other engine that has been used in a truck application is the 6.2... The 5.0 and 3.7 are both currently car engines, along with the EB.

No one seems to be worried about the durability of the other engines though...

Old 09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
And, after driving the EB this weekend, I'm sold. No doubt in my mind which engine i'm buying.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
It cracks me up how everyone is talking about the EB being 'unproven'. The ONLY other engine that has been used in a truck application is the 6.2... The 5.0 and 3.7 are both currently car engines, along with the EB.

No one seems to be worried about the durability of the other engines though...
Mustangers have beat the snot out of the 5.0 with no issues so far. I will go out on a limb and say it gets run a heck of a lot harder than the Taurus SHO EB3.5 and there is a bunch more of them on the road. I understand the concerns people have but you have to at some point embrace the new stuff.

I would probably choose the TT6 engine but I dont have that option with a reg cab short bed. So for me I will get the 5.0. It should still do fine for what I need it to do but I wonder how much more gas it will use. That stuff is not going down. I would kill for the TT6 in a reg cab short bed 4x2. Could you imagine? That baby would haul the mail and then some. I just dont understand why Ford wont offer it in that configuration. It must really be a bastard these days.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Maybe they plan to resurrect the Lightning?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey TX Chris, how did you feel the EB compared to the 6.2 performance-wise?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

You could get the 6.2, supercharge it and stick an emblem of a leaf-on-fire on the back of your truck and call it the PyroBoost

joking aside, I would go for the EcoBoost.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM
@XtremeBawls

it's really hard to say. The only seat time I got in the 6.2 was on the 600' drag strip and it was raining. I started in 2nd gear, feathered the throttle and still broke loose when I got too aggressive around 45+ mph. It was over quick.

My time in the EB and 6.2 were nearly identical, but all that tells us is that they both perform the same in the rain.

The EB is no slouch, but I can't say for sure if it'll run with the 6.2 in dry conditions.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 AM

@TX Chris, you said that you could break it loose at 45 MPH, I can't brake my new 5.4 loose in the rain (in a strait line on pavement) from a stop. In your opinion, is this more a result of the power of the engines, or great throttle response?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
@ TX Chris, thanks for your input. I have driven a 6.2 raptor, but haven't gotten the chance to drive an EB F150 yet.

@ncTidalWave, I've seen the 6.2 raptor break loose at 30 on dry pavement, and I have driven one. From my view, i would have to say it is more a power thing. While the throttle response is very good, if you put it in Off-road mode and punch it, it will yield similar wheel slippage results, and that is w/out a downshift to a lower gear(as I'm sure you know, Off-road mode holds the gear to a higher rpm).

Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
EB if you want more power, more torque and better fuel economy.

5.0 if you want less power, less torque and worse fuel economy and less towing prowess in the mountains/high altitude.

EB costs $750 more than the 5.0, but you can make that up in a little over a year in fuel savings and actually start to make money over the 5.0.

5.0 costs less upfront but you don't get the fuel savings.

EB if you want max towing capability.

5.0 if you have to have it now - will be available at start.
EB if you can wait a few months - will be later arrival.

To me it's a no brainer: EB.
Yes and no. The EB gets its best HP/torque using premium, not regular, although it will run on regular. The 5.0 numbers are with regular. That kills at least part of the mileage advantage. How much is still to be determined as the official (EPA) numbers are not out.

Other things I question as others have is the durability, especially of an engine that has been "tweeked" that much. Hope it is good, but only time will tell. That also holds true of the 3.7 and 5.0, but not as much as they have not been tweeked like the EB. Another question will be what happens with the 3.7, 5.0, and 3.5EB as compared to the 6.2, as they are all aluminum blocks, while the 6.2 is cast iron. What will happen on a bad overheat? Aluminum blocks do have more problems when overheated.
I sincerely hope all will be good, but most of these changes are for one thing and one thing only. New mileage standards.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM

I'm curious how everyone thinks the EB will stand up to and do power wise with large lifts and large tires; similar to what I have now because the time for a truck is approaching and I can't drive anything stock My current 5.4 has enough power for me as a daily driver even with the lift, nothing impressive, but I have never had any issues doing what I needed... I'm in good hopes the new engines will let me have the large lift, impressive power, and do more than I need

Quick Reply: 5.0 or EB??