2009 - 2014 F-150

Squeaking Tires, Throttle Response and Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking Tires, Throttle Response and Power

To avoid derailing a previous thread, here's a new one.

How many of you 2009/2010 owners out there can break the tires loose (from a dead stop traction control off) when taking off in a strait line on pavement?

I'm not all for seeing my paycheck burned up at every light, but it seems there are widely varying power levels / throttle responses throughout various owners. Just want to see what others have to say about this.

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 09-27-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Stock my 2004 Heritage could break them loose from about 10 MPH.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I'll go out and play with mine tcs on and off and from a slow roll, it may be how awful the stock tires are, but I can spin em alright from a stop. Only thing I've done to it is but a toolbox in back and removed the intake snorkel.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
I can hear them screech if I floor it from total stop. I'll play with the Traction Control.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Well, tires are a little balder in the name of science. Truck is a 2wd with the 5.4L and 3.55LS gears. Intake snorkel removed and box in back.

From a dead stop, no power braking or anything like that, it would spin the tires for about a second both with and without traction control. When I drop it into 1 instead of D it barely chirps them, got a little more chirp when I put it in tow/haul mode. From a 5-10mph roll, both with and without traction control it just kinda goes, puts you in your seat, but doesn't break loose.

Around corners, with traction control, it'll spin all the way through and grab when you're going straight again. With power braking... well we already know the outcome of that

Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM
To the OP, keep in mind that my comments in the other thread were on wet pavement in a downpour.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 AM
I can break my 325/60/20's loose from a standing stop (3.73's). It's got much more ***** in the bottom end than the 07 did. Likely due to the low 1st gear in the 6 speed trans.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Dry pavement I can get them to turn over just a little bit when stomping it from a stop. It doesn't sit and just spin, but you can hear it and feel it losing traction and slipping. This is with TC on or off.

Wet pavement with no TC and it will spin them over quickly, and often it will start a bad wheel hop which causes you to take your foot out of it quickly (it does me anyway, I rebuild transaxles and know what shocking loads do to drivetrains!). With the TC on, it still spins and starts the wheel hopping, but then you can feel it cut power and it settles down again.

Wet pavement while cornering and the *** can step out no problem with a little throttle. Without the computer it'll allow you to loop it right around if you stay in it. With the computer helping, it allows it to step out just a bit, but when it starts to get really sideways, it'll stop the fun and the truck loses power and just comes to a jolting sideways stop as the spinning wheels suddenly gain traction again.

The truck has the 4.6L 3V and the 3.73 LSD rear end with 18" STX tires/wheels.

Using the brake torque method results in tire smoke, but that's not impressive at all really!

Once rolling above 5mph or so, I don't think it will do much of anything, but I haven't really tried it.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
...but it seems there are widely varying power levels / throttle responses throughout various owners.
I wonder if the varying power levels/throttle response is a result of the adaptive transmission and different driving styles?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by agdaniels
Well, tires are a little balder in the name of science....

...With power braking... well we already know the outcome of that

Originally Posted by TX Chris
To the OP, keep in mind that my comments in the other thread were on wet pavement in a downpour.
Thanks, yeah that's actually what prompted my inquiry. Its was monsooning here in NC yesterday.

Originally Posted by shotgunz
I wonder if the varying power levels/throttle response is a result of the adaptive transmission and different driving styles?
I think you just hit the heart of the situation.

Personally I can barely (read, "almost never") make the tires squeal in the conditions I described in my OP. I have driven others' F150's of the same generation and they seem to have more "jump". But asking if a truck has "jump" didn't seam very scientific, so I thought the wheal slippage question might provide better feedback.

I'm getting a programmer next month, we'll see if that changes things.

As is stands now, I mash the gas (from dead stop or just rolling) and the engine hesitates (nothing unusual as it's not tuned), then hastily increases speed, but without much in the way of, "holy crap I just mashed the gas" sort of way.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 09-28-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Try and pull out the intake snorkel and reset the ecu, might help with that initial delay some.

I also wonder if its also the drive by wire thing, it seems like it has more then enough power, it just eases into it when you mash the throttle

Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try and pull out the intake snorkel and reset the ecu, might help with that initial delay some.

I also wonder if its also the drive by wire thing, it seems like it has more then enough power, it just eases into it when you mash the throttle
Resetting the KAM (i.e., disconnecting the negative terminal) is not going to change/reset the transmission's adaptive learning. This can only be done by a reflash. I do not know if the currently available programmers clear/reset this adaptive learning when uploading tunes.

Mike Butler, 5Star Tuning:
This DBW system is a torque driven system, it works by taking a certain amount of torque via engine and wheel and applies it to what the driver foot say it needs; a better way to explain it is its a torque limiter. It only allows so much torque at a given pedal position. Stock tables are conservative and numb at best and that's why one would feel some times a lag or a goofy pedal with DBW systems. For a 3v 5.4L V8 this is one of the most critical areas that must be addressed and modified to generate more torque and throttle response. By reworking the OEM strategies makes your 5.4L seems as if 2 more cylinders were added over night and have much better throttle response!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
I can make my 2010 5.4L Lariat tires squeal from a stand still on dry pavement.

The Pirellis probably help....

Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Resetting the KAM (i.e., disconnecting the negative terminal) is not going to change/reset the transmission's adaptive learning. This can only be done by a reflash. I do not know if the currently available programmers clear/reset this adaptive learning when uploading tunes.

Interesting, didn't know that! But I was more referring to pulling the battery for the intake modification

Thats also pretty cool about the pedal response, really makes me want to bump getting a tuner up on my priority list. Thanks for the info, learn somethin every day

Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM

This DBW system is a torque driven system, it works by taking a certain amount of torque via engine and wheel and applies it to what the driver foot say it needs; a better way to explain it is its a torque limiter. It only allows so much torque at a given pedal position. Stock tables are conservative and numb at best and that's why one would feel some times a lag or a goofy pedal with DBW systems. For a 3v 5.4L V8 this is one of the most critical areas that must be addressed and modified to generate more torque and throttle response. By reworking the OEM strategies makes your 5.4L seems as if 2 more cylinders were added over night and have much better throttle response!
Good stuff, that really explains a lot. Thanks for the info, shotgunz! I think a programmer just got bumped up on my priority list

... Thanks for the info, learn somethin every day
Yep, this forum is awesome

Quick Reply: Squeaking Tires, Throttle Response and Power