2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 info weariness

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1depd
Anybody else getting tired of Ford dragging out the release of the info on the 2011 trucks? At first I could understand they were trying to get the excitement built up. But now it is getting old. I'm losing interest. Yes I want a 2011 F-150, and it is good that the 3.5 is making @ or near 400 in both hp and tq, but it is all useless info until I know mpg. Some people have put estimates out that the 3.5 will get 3-4 mpg more than the 5.0 with our gas prices they way they are it would have a payback rate of less than 30k miles, but we don't know since the real numbers haven't been put out.

Ford also seems interested in keep the American buyers in the dark as far as pricing on these. Yes I can get the base price, but I don't want to buy a base vehicle. I can go to the dealership and waste their time getting a price quote, but that is pointless since I am still trying to decide which trim level and which options I want to buy. A perfect example I read a person order the FX2 with luxury package, 20's, navi, and the 3.5 total cost was 44K. I don't see the logic, for me, in buying that truck, since I can get base a KR with the same options plus the wheels, navi, and 3.5 for a couple thousand less. Until the actual prices come out my opinions can't be confirmed or refuted.

Anybody else getting tired of being told to wait? The launch is supposed to be in about a month, but we still don't know prices or economy numbers.
Well on October 3rd I went in and treated it as if I was going to order a truck. They pulled the 2011 year build book out and I built both a loaded fx4 and lariat.. Every option and cost was listed and a breakdown was given. Even D,X and invoice was listed.. The salesperson then printed me off three huge documents. First, the "National Discount Packages" packet, second a price list and finally a full build book with every code and option, roughly 100 pages. Everything given to me is what they have in they're computer.
As for mileage, who knows. It's a truck with a turbo v6, how bad can it be? "eco" boost.... It's not worse than mine lol!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by SVTME
Well on October 3rd I went in and treated it as if I was going to order a truck. They pulled the 2011 year build book out and I built both a loaded fx4 and lariat.. Every option and cost was listed and a breakdown was given. Even D,X and invoice was listed.. The salesperson then printed me off three huge documents. First, the "National Discount Packages" packet, second a price list and finally a full build book with every code and option, roughly 100 pages. Everything given to me is what they have in they're computer.
As for mileage, who knows. It's a truck with a turbo v6, how bad can it be? "eco" boost.... It's not worse than mine lol!
So what wwere the prices??? I would love an fx-4 but am thinkin may have to back down to an XLT??

Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Unhappy '11 info dragged out to keep attention off '12?

I'm still willing to bet you'll be looking at perhaps 17mpg city for the EB. It's unfortunate. With the official HP finally out, and it being a good chunk lower than what was expected, you'd have hoped they did that to eek out some more MPG from the engine. Yet you continue to hear the standard "about 20% better than 2010 5.4" response from Ford to this day. Ah well. ::shrug::

Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
I'm still willing to bet you'll be looking at perhaps 17mpg city for the EB. It's unfortunate. With the official HP finally out, and it being a good chunk lower than what was expected, you'd have hoped they did that to eek out some more MPG from the engine. Yet you continue to hear the standard "about 20% better than 2010 5.4" response from Ford to this day. Ah well. ::shrug::
If it gets as good as my car (17/21) then I'll be happy.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:34 AM
If I remember right, the 2010 5.4L in an FX4 SCrew was rated at 14/18 MPG. So technically 17mpg in the city is 20% better than the 5.4L. It would put the Ecoboost at 17/22 MPG. I would say that's improvement.

I know, there's all those owners out there that are probably saying "I get 22MPG in my 5.4L now." I'm talking EPA ratings. Apples to apples. Who knows, the Ecoboost may be capable of achieving more, despite what EPA ratings say.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Dunesgirl
I know, there's all those owners out there that are probably saying "I get 22MPG in my 5.4L now." I'm talking EPA ratings. Apples to apples. Who knows, the Ecoboost may be capable of achieving more, despite what EPA ratings say.
As I said my car is listed as getting 17 city and 21 hwy. I normally get just over 21 with mostly city driving and when I go on long trips I get in the upper 20's. I was starting to get annoyed that my mileage wasn't higher then I found my window sticker and saw what it was rated at.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM
I was at the tx state fair a few days ago, and talked to some of the Ford reps about the new motors. I was told the EPA numbers would be out before the end of the year. Likely sometime in November. One of the guys I talk to said he had been to proving grounds and was saying he thought the ecoboost was capable of 26mpg, and the normal asperated 3.7L V6 would be about 2mpg less at 24mpg. I am still finding that a little bit of a stretch to think a truck the size of the F150 being able to hit 26 mpg, but if these number are close.

That might explain why the EPA numbers are the last numbers Ford wants to put out there, since it would cost Ford a lot more money in terms of rebates to dump the remaining 2010 product, if everyone knew that waiting a few months for the 2011 would be so much more attractive in terms of fuel savings.

If the real world normal mileage were 15mpg on a 2010 vs the real world 20mpg on a 2011. That would save the consumer a couple grand in fuel cost over the first 35-40,000 miles. Ford may want to avoid people doing the math and having to rebate the 2010s that much more to get them cleared off the lots.

I did see a sign on one of the 2011 F150s that stated it had best in class fuel economy. If I remember right I think the highest rated full size truck is a GM that was rated at 22mpg. So whenever they do release the EPA numbers, I have a feeling they will be pretty good.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Several people at the DriveF150 event achieved high-20's and even low-30's in the EB in a real-world city drive.

I guarantee the truck will average better than 17mpg city, unless you're ******* the crap out of it all day.

Even my very brief (maybe 2.5 miles) drive at low speed and fairly hard on the throttle most of the time netted me 18.X mpg on the lie-o-meter.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by 1depd
As I said my car is listed as getting 17 city and 21 hwy. I normally get just over 21 with mostly city driving and when I go on long trips I get in the upper 20's. I was starting to get annoyed that my mileage wasn't higher then I found my window sticker and saw what it was rated at.
1depd, curious to know how is your truck set up? SCrew or SCab, 2wd or 4wd, gear ratio, etc.

Ford will probably come out with a SFE version of the F150 like they did in 2009. The Ecoboost will be the only engine available with a 3.15 differential gear ratio. Not only that, but transmission's 6th gear is a bit different than the rest of the line up as well (0.63 for EB and 0.69 for the rest of the line up). I bet this set up in a 2wd truck will net MPGs higher than 22MPG on the freeway. My estimate of 17/22 was for a SCrew FX4, which would come with a 3.73 gear ratio, 4wd, and is all around a heavier truck than some others in the line up.

It'd be nice to know how the EB F150s for the economy drive were set up, gear ratio-wise.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Ford did this with the 5.0 Mustang too. Then they starting building them and early orders took three months to be delivered due to a hold. It must be their new way of business. I see other makes sneaking in new 2011 models without delay.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Dunesgirl
1depd, curious to know how is your truck set up? SCrew or SCab, 2wd or 4wd, gear ratio, etc.
Unfortunately I had to sell my truck a couple years ago. I now drive a car, but will be buying a new truck within the next 5-6 months.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by racer114
Ford did this with the 5.0 Mustang too. Then they starting building them and early orders took three months to be delivered due to a hold. It must be their new way of business. I see other makes sneaking in new 2011 models without delay.
Ford has said from day one that Job one on these trucks would be in November.

Quick Reply: 2011 info weariness