2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Gotts mod thoughts and idea's

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Gotts mod thoughts and idea's

So today I pulled the snorkel out of my 2010 F-150's airbox.

I've been debating on the mod because of mixed reviews, and that little voice in my head saying.....

"Its there for a reason"

As I type this, I'm looking at the snorkel on my desk. And it intrigue's me.

Why the holes?....

Is the tip flared for the same reason as a Tuba or Trumpet?

Does anyone have an explaination for this thing....really?

I think the whole "venturi effect" doesn't really apply.....Wouldn't the force to create the effect have to be pushing air into the box to work?

When I suck on a straw to breath, I don't get a venturi effect, I can tell you that. I know this is not scaled perception, but Its food for thought.

I could see it being there for muffling sound I suppose..

So I've been Visualizing how the air would actually flow through this little doo-dad.

"I think" this snorkel is design for moisture protection and sound muffling

The fender compartment isn't exactly the dryest place when its wet out.

Air would be sucked through the weeping holes creating quite a bit of turbulance within the snorkel, breaking up the air being drawn into the air box. This would make it so that more of the incoming air would come into contact with the surface area of the snorkel....therefore leaving the moisture behind.....

This is just a thought and feel free to correct me at any time.

I think next weekend, I will fashion myself some sort of inlet with the same holes, but make it large and make some sort of a cover plate for the rest of the hole.

Any thoughts or idea's?

Anybody?

Last edited by redtherocket; 10-03-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
rok
Use the search function!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by rok
Use the search function!
I did

Lots

I'm looking for different thoughts on the subject.

Or if anyone has done this mod in a different way, or noticed the same thing I did.

I think the snorkel may have more to do with water protection than sound.

Last edited by redtherocket; 10-03-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Added
Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I saw my snorkel deal on the top of my tool shelf and i was wondering if the holes would cause more turbulence. How would they test that? And if they do, do they just put it on a dyno with all the computer tools and everything. Interesting for a 99 cent piece of plastic. Truck sounds cooler I guess.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM
well how big is the main hole in the end?
and the other holes how big are thay? you can do the math and see just how much CFM you gain buy doing this mod buy doing the same to the hole where the tube came in to the air box. and just subtract and the difference is what you gain in CFM / or air movement.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Honestly, I asked a lot of the same questions, and you may be on the right track as far as moisture and sound. It certainly is a little louder with it off, and the diameter of the opening is pretty sad for the nice sized intake tube.

Some things I wondered was if it was to help mpgs, limiting air thereby limiting fuel in the afr, at the expense of power? I pulled mine off, but unfortunately haven't been driving consistent enough tanks of gas to get a real idea if it helped mpgs or hurt them.

I know ford put it there for a reason, and put a great deal of research hours into the intake, but can't help but wonder what trade offs they made for 'cover their *** factors' and to make it quieter overall. The 30 somethin inch muffler is a perfect example of this as well.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
well how big is the main hole in the end?
and the other holes how big are thay? you can do the math and see just how much CFM you gain buy doing this mod buy doing the same to the hole where the tube came in to the air box. and just subtract and the difference is what you gain in CFM / or air movement.
I don't have exact measurements, but I snapped a pic when I pulled it off and it looks like it loses about an inch in diameter from one side to the other. The overall circumference of the holes and the inlet hole seem irrelevant as the hole into the air box is the same.

This would be more of a breathing through a large straw vs a much smaller one with holes cut in it, the amount of readily available air would be greater, faster with the larger diameter straw; but both have the same flow potential with the diameter of the overall intake pipe being consistent.

However, this is all moot if the intake snorkel chokes the overall intake pipe throughout the power band, but again its hard to say without actually measuring. Seeing the dyno chart with power gains after removing it, leads me to believe the snorkel is indeed limiting the flow potential, though I'm curious to know if the lessened air flow modifies the afr to help mpg.

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of tuning can enlighten us on that.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 PM
What raised a flag for me today was what I saw when I took it off..

Its been rainy and wet since I got my truck last monday..

I looked into the snorkel, and noticed how dirty it was with water residue..

The whole inside is dirty with white spots and run marks..

Then you look into the actual air box and the residue is only by the weeping holes in the bottom of the box...

The entire "inner" surface area of the snorkel is caked, while the entire outside is like BRAND NEW!! (well it is)

If my filter gets abnormally dirty...I'm putting it back on.

Last edited by redtherocket; 10-03-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added info

Quick Reply: 2010 Gotts mod thoughts and idea's