2009 - 2014 F-150

Truck is gone....

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Hopefully you wont regret getting rid of your truck. I had a truck a few years back and sold it to buy a Z06. A year later I sold it and now im back in a truck. This time im saving up for a play toy so i can keep my truck. Hopefully by next spring ill have me a 04 Whipple Terminator. Good choice in cars though, the new 2011 GT500s are great looking machines.
I sold my Vette last year thinking I was done with the need for speed. As it turns out, I wasn't. As for the truck, the '09 was my third in 4 years. There wasn't much of a need for it anymore and it took up precious space in the garage blocking space for a fast toy. I went to the Ford camp and will see how the GT500 works out. As for another truck, if there's a next time it will be a basic work mule truck - no more cowboy cadillac, and it will very likely be used instead of new.

TX_Chris...yup, there's plenty more horses wanting to be unleashed than Ford will admit. It's interesting that Ford racing parts has parts and 'tunes' that are 50 state emissions legal. Very interesting. The biggest problem is traction on this car. So far, I'm finding planting the wheels firmly to bite will take a tender foot with the gas peddle; otherwise, the rears will spin freely. How does your friend launch the modded car without billowing big clouds of rubber smoke?

iHellFire....insurance is expensive...about $814/yr

savage...I too was bent on a GT (base or premium). Found a hand full equipped with brembos, 3.73 gears, and security. But after driving both the GT500 and the GT, I kicked myself for driving the GT500. On the test drive, I drifted the car around a street corner...and couldn't forget it - it was a perfect drift. Poor salesman looked a bit pale and stiff. Anyways, the GT is a better all around daily driver car than the GT500. But the '09 KR I traded has more bells and whistles than the GT500.

ommegang...different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your truck.

dlsipe1...I'm still on probation by the GT500's computer. It's all motor until I hit 100 miles (supercharger is disabled by the computer). But with all motor, under 4k rpm, it's a beast. GT with brembos and 3.73 is a great combo...it would have been my choice if I didn't get a great deal on the GT500, and an awesome test drive.

racer114...nah, the trucks are plenty. If there's a need for a truck, I have 2 buddies that already volunteered the use of their trucks free and clear. But if I truly have a constant need for another truck, I'll likely downscale to a work mule type.

hemigod....thanks.

although pics of the shelby are unrelated to this forum, I'm posting a couple. The color is grabber blue:

Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Beautiful car man! Enjoy it, and hear the supercharger as much as possible!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
I sold my Vette last year thinking I was done with the need for speed. As it turns out, I wasn't. As for the truck, the '09 was my third in 4 years. There wasn't much of a need for it anymore and it took up precious space in the garage blocking space for a fast toy. I went to the Ford camp and will see how the GT500 works out. As for another truck, if there's a next time it will be a basic work mule truck - no more cowboy cadillac, and it will very likely be used instead of new.

TX_Chris...yup, there's plenty more horses wanting to be unleashed than Ford will admit. It's interesting that Ford racing parts has parts and 'tunes' that are 50 state emissions legal. Very interesting. The biggest problem is traction on this car. So far, I'm finding planting the wheels firmly to bite will take a tender foot with the gas peddle; otherwise, the rears will spin freely. How does your friend launch the modded car without billowing big clouds of rubber smoke?

iHellFire....insurance is expensive...about $814/yr

savage...I too was bent on a GT (base or premium). Found a hand full equipped with brembos, 3.73 gears, and security. But after driving both the GT500 and the GT, I kicked myself for driving the GT500. On the test drive, I drifted the car around a street corner...and couldn't forget it - it was a perfect drift. Poor salesman looked a bit pale and stiff. Anyways, the GT is a better all around daily driver car than the GT500. But the '09 KR I traded has more bells and whistles than the GT500.

ommegang...different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your truck.

dlsipe1...I'm still on probation by the GT500's computer. It's all motor until I hit 100 miles (supercharger is disabled by the computer). But with all motor, under 4k rpm, it's a beast. GT with brembos and 3.73 is a great combo...it would have been my choice if I didn't get a great deal on the GT500, and an awesome test drive.

racer114...nah, the trucks are plenty. If there's a need for a truck, I have 2 buddies that already volunteered the use of their trucks free and clear. But if I truly have a constant need for another truck, I'll likely downscale to a work mule type.

hemigod....thanks.

although pics of the shelby are unrelated to this forum, I'm posting a couple. The color is grabber blue:
How exactly is the computer disabling the supercharger? That isn't even possible considering its driven by the serpentine belt. Now maybe the computer pulls timing and put an RPM limit on the car.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Hopefully you wont regret getting rid of your truck. I had a truck a few years back and sold it to buy a Z06. A year later I sold it and now im back in a truck. This time im saving up for a play toy so i can keep my truck. Hopefully by next spring ill have me a 04 Whipple Terminator. Good choice in cars though, the new 2011 GT500s are great looking machines.
^^^ after those pictures, i am pretty sure he doesn't regret a DAMN thing.

Mad props bro, I would do the same if I could afford.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Looks awesome! Enjoy the car. I used to have a Cobra, and I could never go back to a car that is that low. At 40 years old, 6'3" tall, and 250 lbs, I am just too big to get in and out of those things!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:00 AM
If I could afford I would have a white or black one

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Should have gotten a 2011 Camaro. Back end looks a lot better.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Traded it for a 2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500.
I'm sure there are things you will miss about your KR. However, in the meantime how about some pics of the new Mustang.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Should have gotten a 2011 Camaro. Back end looks a lot better.
But what about the rest of the camaro being ugly?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by 04DarkShadowGT
But what about the rest of the camaro being ugly?
One thing I can say is that having owned the 2010 Camaro for almost a year I never had a car that turned so many heads in appreciation than that vehicle.

Around here Mustangs are a dime a dozen. :santa:

Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Nice Shelby. I hear you on the truck. I'm thinking of selling mine also. I just don't have the need much anymore and one of my other vehilces will pull my jet ski. And, now that I've changed positions and I'm working in downtown Dallas, there isn't a whole lot of room for big trucks on those parking garages!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by racer114
Nice Shelby. I hear you on the truck. I'm thinking of selling mine also. I just don't have the need much anymore and one of my other vehilces will pull my jet ski. And, now that I've changed positions and I'm working in downtown Dallas, there isn't a whole lot of room for big trucks on those parking garages!
My friends with trucks couldn't figure out why I wanted to trade the truck for the Shelby. I'm not lugging a boat around and most things can be delivered (key word is most, not all). Sure there's a need for trucks, that's obvious. But my needs no longer justified owning a truck. Plus, if the need does arise in the future, I'm sure there will be a huge selection of used trucks eager for a buyer.

tradosaurus...I respect your point of view but I think differently. Mustangs were kept in production while the Camaro stopped for a good number of years. That's the reason you see more Mustangs than Camaros. If you like the Camaro more than other cars, that's your choice. But when you note the shoddy fit and finish of the interior, the less than ideal paint quality and finish, and lots of road noise, you may change your mind. I bet you see fewer Dodge Challengers than Camaros. And to be honest, I'd rather own a Chally than a Camaro if the two were my only choices - better fit, better finish, better interior, stronger motors.

09KingRanch...there's a few things I will miss from the KR...auto climate control and cooled seats. But I gain driving excitment. So for now, it's a win. We'll see how it goes in time.

Gary...you'll be a much wanted man in the dealer's showroom looking for black or white Shelby. The inventory in the Southeast is mostly white and black Shelbys. Hard to find other colors, especially the dark grey with silver stripes (a la Elanor in Gone in 60 Seconds).

Freeky...thanks. But I'm slightly older than you, taller and slimmer and getting into a Mustang isn't a chore - it's a pleasure knowing thrill is a turn of the key away.

04DarkShadowGT...taken from the Shelby supplement: "...power train control module (PCM) strategy contains a feature to limit supercharger boost pressure and engine speed to 4,000 rpm for the first five consecutive miles of vehicle operation or 50 engine start/warm up cycles. This feature is enabled prior to shipment. If neither of these conditions have been satisfied prior to customer delivery, full power will not be available." And so I'm still on probation. Darn PCM. But even with the limits, the engine gets it done. Can't wait for probation to be over.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 AM
My friends with trucks couldn't figure out why I wanted to trade the truck for the Shelby. I'm not lugging a boat around and most things can be delivered (key word is most, not all). Sure there's a need for trucks, that's obvious. But my needs no longer justified owning a truck. Plus, if the need does arise in the future, I'm sure there will be a huge selection of used trucks eager for a buyer.

tradosaurus...I respect your point of view but I think differently. Mustangs were kept in production while the Camaro stopped for a good number of years. That's the reason you see more Mustangs than Camaros. If you like the Camaro more than other cars, that's your choice. But when you note the shoddy fit and finish of the interior, the less than ideal paint quality and finish, and lots of road noise, you may change your mind. I bet you see fewer Dodge Challengers than Camaros. And to be honest, I'd rather own a Chally than a Camaro if the two were my only choices - better fit, better finish, better interior, stronger motors.
Well I haven't driven a Mustang so I can't compare. But I can dispute the "shoddy fit" and "lots of road noise". Have you ever driven in a Camaro?

The finish of the interior could see vast improvement and paint quality is a problem because of the water based paint enforced by the EPA. But I believe all auto mfg's have to use water based paint.

And pricing both Mustand and Camaro with equivalent option the Camaro is less expensive.

But I will guarantee you will get more looks and attention from a 2010-2011 Camaro than you will a Mustang. And you can take that to the bank!

By the way, nice Mustang!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
It says it limits boost, it's not completely removing the supercharger from the equation. That's impossible.

I honestly don't know, but I could only imagine that they're using a blow-off valve or something of the like to limit the boost being delivered into the engine.

I'm sure you could figure it out very quickly on a forum like 'svtoa'.

And my friend struggles with traction as well. But I must say that the traction control on the GT500 is amazing! He can launch quite hard on the traction control, unlike the '03-'04 Cobra. The t/c on those cars was simply terrible.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM
tradosaurus,

Yes, I've driven both a V-6 and the SS 6spd. Not bad cars, but the Mustang is a better overall vehicle, both in quality and performance. And yes, comparitavely, the Camaro has a lot of road noise. Then again, my F-150 is more quiet than most luxury cars I've driven lately.

Quick Reply: Truck is gone....