2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 Platinum with 6.2 mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Platinum with 6.2 mirrors

Yesterday I tried to order a 2011 Platinum with the 6.2 engine and found it requires you to order the optional towing package that includes those big mirrors. You can get the Limited and HD with the 6.2 with just regular mirrors. Just doesn't make sense.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM
yep, requires the "max" tow package, we've known this since the order guide came out. after you buy it, you could always swap with the regular Platinum mirrors and sell the tow mirrors but it sounds like a pain to get the power folding feature on the regular mirrors to work.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 PM
My local dealer offered to let me order the truck, then when they got it they would take the tow mirrors and keep them and just charge me the cost of regular mirrors and installation costs. Sounds pretty easy. They said I would have to pay for the tow mirrors that they kept though, but would worry about getting rid of them for me.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
My local dealer offered to let me order the truck, then when they got it they would take the tow mirrors and keep them and just charge me the cost of regular mirrors and installation costs. Sounds pretty easy. They said I would have to pay for the tow mirrors that they kept though, but would worry about getting rid of them for me.
Sounds like the dealer is going to make out pretty good on that deal. You pay for the new mirrors and installstion and they keep the other mirrors and sell them. Do you get the money from that sale? Just asking. Hope it works out for you.

John

Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
Of course they would. That would leave you paying the cost of the regular mirrors and GIVING away the tow mirrors. If you want the non tow mirrors and are willing to pay them for them and install, go for it. But make sure you get YOUR tow mirrors when you leave.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I have the big mirror and like them....did not think I would. At least, now that I have gotten past that "about to slap the truck next to me" feeling. :-)

Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Or bycicleists! I did have to drive much more attentively in narrow construction zones on a trip. Next time I think I would just fold them in. Even plowing, driving from gig to gig. Those babies extend out pretty far it seems.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I have had three Super Duties so the big mirrors were a must. Once you get used to them you will never look back. Just my thoughts.

John

Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Listen Up Alan!

I hope corporate Ford Marketing people (maybe even Alan) read this site. I bought an 09 Platinum because of the luxury features, not to pull a trailer or RV. Now that the 6.2 engine is available I want it in what is presumably the top of the line F150. I have talked with several people about the mandatory HD towing requirement and most think it's ridiculous. So Ford listen and let us buy your top of the line F150 with out those trailer tow mirrors. Just put the Platinum in the same category as the Limited and Harley.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Wanting the Platinum to be in the same category the the Limited isn't a good idea because the Lmited is limited to a few thousand trucks and is basically a one size fits all appearance package - you can't pick the colors, you can't pick many options - they are picked for you, you can't pick the bed size, can't pick the engine, no max tow, etc. The Harley is also similarly limited.

What you should compare it to is the Lariat which is also available with only the Max Tow 6.2 but the other egines - 5.0 and EB as well. EcoBoost is the top of the line engine. The 6.2 in the Platinum is made available for people who tow heavy trailers frequently and need tow mirrors. You should be glad the 6.2 is even available on regular F150's like the Platinum. The 6.2 is a good engine but doesn't make a lot of sense if you are not towing at all. You also miss out on the top of the line electric power steering feature by going with the 6.2, something you can't change like you can by simply swapping the mirrors.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:06 AM
They are not going to make the 6.2L a widely available engine in the F150. Sorry, but it's not going to happen. CAFE requirements are only getting more strict. They made it available only in the top tier trims or with certain packages for a reason (or two, as it also makes the manufacturing process more efficient when combining certain options with each other).

If you're dead set on a Platinum with a 6.2L but without the tow mirrors, you can always order a set of normal mirrors and swap them, or find someone with the smaller mirrors that want to swap for the tow mirrors.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 PM
EB over 6.2 any day of the week and even Sunday.

Like they said. Go with the EB and you'll be happier. If you don't tow anything why would you even consider the 6.2? I am just like you. Every time I buy an F-150 it is for the top-of-the-line luxury edition. I don't tow, haul, nothing. I drive to and from work, and on occasion wherever else I need or want to go. And I get every single option possible on my trucks, unless it's completely useless to me (i.e. trailer brake controller, skid plates, overhead rail entertainment system, tow package, etc).

I'm considering a 2011 myself. Platinum, 4x4, EB, fully loaded again. I won't even consider any engine other than the EB. It has gobs of torque and plenty of HP, and decent-for-a-pickup fuel economy compared to all the other options as well.

I wouldn't want the Platinum in the same category as the HD or LTD either. As stated, they are like boxed crappy packages, unless you happen to like just what Ford has put together for you without your consent or input. Plus they have odd color choices, weird badges and striping, grille isn't nearly as refined as the Plat's, etc. etc.

I do agree with you that sometimes the option choices are very odd, but unfortunately there's nothing you can do unless, like stated, you want to swap stuff out yourself later on. Things like how Ford limits color choices based on trim just confuddle the heck outta me. So I get ya. Trust me, I'm still p'od big time that Ford had to cram that little LCD in the 2011 rather than go all-out with MyFord Touch and the huge LCD dash screen that's just beautiful. Why Edge & Explorer get it and we don't, just because they were redesign's, doesn't make sense when Ford went and changed the dash anyways to install that little LCD screen and changed the steering wheel to incorporate 1 of the 2 5-way buttons. They could easily have just done MFT from the get-go after all that. Go figure. My guess is they'll do some little tweaks for 2012 to 'freshen' the vehicle until they remodel her in 2014/2015 at the same time the other manufacturers are coming out with their re-done pickups.

Quick Reply: 2011 Platinum with 6.2 mirrors