2009 - 2014 F-150

$50,000 truck and NO cabin Air Filter?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011 | 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snappylips
Why is that so funny? UPS drivers make $80K delivering packages. It's a no skill job other than keeping a decent driving record.

I seem to recall when houses were $150K and townhouses were half that. Now? Townhouses built over 25 years are selling in my neighborhood for $400K.

The price of everything goes up, and options go with it.

I would have bought an XLT to replace my wrecked 2003 XLT, but the 2010 XLT seats looked and felt like something out of a '75 Datsun B210=JUNK.

Yea, I spent more on my truck than I had set out to do, but I am happy with it. Who wants to drive a stripped 2WD standard cab w/ a V6 and vinyl seats?
2010 Crew cab XL w/ 4x4, cloth seats, power equipment, and cruise < 30K. wtf else do you need in a truck? leather seats? f that. console shifter? meh. shiny 22" wheels? who cares... thats what mod'ing is for

Old 01-05-2011 | 09:45 AM
I am in sales and my F150 cost $36,000 when all the dust settled (too bad there wasn't a CAF to keep it out of the cabin!)

It's funny when I pull up to Vermeer, or John Deere, or a Cat dealer. They don't blink at leather seats, loaded interior. I usually get a 'nice truck' and we head off to lunch. If I tried to show up in a $36,000 Audi or other luxury car, I'd get harassed without end, and my sales numbers would suffer.

At least in the midwest, it's acceptable for someone to have a loaded truck. My bed is beat up, and I do show up to customer sites with mud on the tires.

BTW try having cloth seats in a sales vehicle and have some stinkass guy hop in and leave his funk all over your truck seat for the next 3 weeks. Leather is a must! At the end of the week, I can wet wipe down the leather, and I'm ready for the next week of work. No more cigarette diahrrea dead puppy smell from Bubba who ate burritos and Copenhagen for breakfast and didn't change his skivvys for the last 9 days!

IowaAndy

Old 01-05-2011 | 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
I am in sales and my F150 cost $36,000 when all the dust settled (too bad there wasn't a CAF to keep it out of the cabin!)

It's funny when I pull up to Vermeer, or John Deere, or a Cat dealer. They don't blink at leather seats, loaded interior. I usually get a 'nice truck' and we head off to lunch. If I tried to show up in a $36,000 Audi or other luxury car, I'd get harassed without end, and my sales numbers would suffer.

At least in the midwest, it's acceptable for someone to have a loaded truck. My bed is beat up, and I do show up to customer sites with mud on the tires.

BTW try having cloth seats in a sales vehicle and have some stinkass guy hop in and leave his funk all over your truck seat for the next 3 weeks. Leather is a must! At the end of the week, I can wet wipe down the leather, and I'm ready for the next week of work. No more cigarette diahrrea dead puppy smell from Bubba who ate burritos and Copenhagen for breakfast and didn't change his skivvys for the last 9 days!

IowaAndy
vinyl does the job too.

people in iowa = idiots out walking around greetings from Wisconsin, lol

Old 01-05-2011 | 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by 06bluemeaniexl
vinyl does the job too.

people in iowa = idiots out walking around greetings from Wisconsin, lol
I DO forget about vinyl. Problem is they don't offer it in the bucket seat configuration. And we DO have a few people who have sniffed too much vinyl in Iowa...

Old 01-05-2011 | 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by mikeyss
Forgive me, but why is this such a big deal? I'm a service advisor and I can't tell you how many times people complain about having to change the CAF in their vehicle due to the cost of them. Most people that have them don't even change them anyway which makes for a bigger problem of mold and musty smells entering their cab.
Buy yourself a John Deere tractor with cab and you will have 4 of them to change.

Old 01-05-2011 | 04:37 PM
Where is your 4th? We have only 3 if you include the prefilter........

Old 01-05-2011 | 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
I DO forget about vinyl. Problem is they don't offer it in the bucket seat configuration. And we DO have a few people who have sniffed too much vinyl in Iowa...
you can rip the front middle seat out and throw a standard console in there (not the one with a shifter). bam, vinyl bucket seats.

Old 01-05-2011 | 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Scott011422
Where is your 4th? We have only 3 if you include the prefilter........
There is the main cab air filter and the secondary cab air filter. The recirculation air filters are usually behind the seat. Some models have only 1 recirculation filter where others have 2. Theres too many models to list which ones have 1 recirculation filter and which ones have 2.

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:55 PM
I wonder if the Lariat Limited has one?

Old 01-06-2011 | 08:56 AM
Gotch, ours only has the one recirc then.

Old 01-06-2011 | 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by mikeyss
Forgive me, but why is this such a big deal? I'm a service advisor and I can't tell you how many times people complain about having to change the CAF in their vehicle due to the cost of them. Most people that have them don't even change them anyway which makes for a bigger problem of mold and musty smells entering their cab.
It doesn't have to be changed at all. It can be removed once and never put back in if the vehicle owner wishes to run without it.

The same can't be said for those who DO want it, if the provision is not there at all.

SL

Old 01-17-2011 | 08:27 AM
I haven't seen any mention of using a car ionizer as a substitute for a cabin air filter. My truck also does not have one, and after trying to find out how to install one, it seems like it would be a big hassle to do so. It would be much easier to buy an ionizer to clean the air..has anyone done this and noticed it made the air smell cleaner? I have noticed when I'm driving I can really smell the exhaust of other cars on the road, and was hoping an ionizer would be a good fix for this. I've been thinking of buying the ionic pro car ionizer for $15.

Old 01-18-2011 | 12:36 AM
Ok I did some searching and found a possible solution for '97-'03 and '04 Heritage trucks that don't have the cabin air filter kit. The following information is from the e-mail address http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...lter_q__a.aspx

The cabin air filter location on a 97-03 and some 2004 Heritage F150 and F series pickups and also 99-04 F-150 Lightning Pickups are located under the passenger side of the dash just under the glove box. There is a black plastic cover that will need to be removed with 4 screws to make access easier to see where the filter can be installed. Most of these trucks DO NOT have the filter installed and you will need a kit # F65Z-18D477-AA or do what I did and take a very sharp razor knife to cut the plastic box under where the filter slides in...note this is easy to do and the lines are already there to show exactly where to cut. Then slide your filter into the airbox and cover the cut opening with a piece of duct tape to prevent leaks and there you go. Cabin filter installed without the special kit which is hard to find since it was discontinued years ago. It works great on my 2003 Lightning. If you need help with it you can email me at jford94,at,aol,dot,com

I haven't tried this yet, but it seems like it would work..and without buying the hard to find or impossible to find kit.

Old 01-18-2011 | 09:45 PM
Boy do I feel like a jerk....If I paid $50,000 for a truck, I'd be pissed it didn't come with a driver. All this poor guy wants is a cabin air filter....

Old 01-19-2011 | 02:36 AM
Well I just finished cutting out that rectangular section and installing a cabin filter, it worked out pretty nice..and all I had to do was cut out that section with a utility knife and slide the filter in.

Quick Reply: $50,000 truck and NO cabin Air Filter?????