2009 - 2014 F-150

$50,000 truck and NO cabin Air Filter?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010 | 11:48 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$50,000 truck and NO cabin Air Filter?????

I am wondering how long Ford is going to milk the profit margins out of the truck buyer. I can get a Lincoln MKZ loaded for less than my truck cost and it has every conceivable option imaginable.

Anybody know if I can spend even more of my hard earned money and retrofit a CAF into my 2010 KR????

Old 10-08-2010 | 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by FORDFAME
I am wondering how long Ford is going to milk the profit margins out of the truck buyer. I can get a Lincoln MKZ loaded for less than my truck cost and it has every conceivable option imaginable.

Anybody know if I can spend even more of my hard earned money and retrofit a CAF into my 2010 KR????
I understand your point. But !
As long as there are people who are willing to spend $50,000 on a new truck built the way they are, why should the manufacture change ? After all !
Nobody forced you to spend that kind of money on a truck. You willingly put that profit margin in their pocket, then you complain about it.
Don't get me wrong. I love my F-150's I have been driving them 24 yrs.
But in my opinion, Anything of over $35K for a new truck or any vehicle for that fact, is merely $$$ pissed down the drain. I don't care how well equipped they come.
I will never buy a new vehicle because of the outrageous and ridiculous prices.
I would love an MKZ, and one of these days I will trade our Five hundred in for one, but I can guarantee it won't be a new one.

Last edited by mlamprey; 10-08-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2010 | 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive me, but why is this such a big deal? I'm a service advisor and I can't tell you how many times people complain about having to change the CAF in their vehicle due to the cost of them. Most people that have them don't even change them anyway which makes for a bigger problem of mold and musty smells entering their cab.

Old 10-08-2010 | 10:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

^
|
|
What he said. It's an unnecessary added cost.

Old 10-08-2010 | 10:53 AM
Depends on how or where you use your truck. I work on a farm and frequent construction site, I would LOVE a Caf. All the dust in the cab, the Bees Wings in the fall, Screw that!!

Old 10-08-2010 | 01:24 PM
lets face it, Ford needs to engineer a caf in their trucks. I have one in my lexus and it definately cleans the dusty air we get in Dallas.
Ferd

Old 10-08-2010 | 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by mikeyss
Forgive me, but why is this such a big deal? I'm a service advisor and I can't tell you how many times people complain about having to change the CAF in their vehicle due to the cost of them. Most people that have them don't even change them anyway which makes for a bigger problem of mold and musty smells entering their cab.
x-2 most people don't bother to change them and they get nasty

Old 10-08-2010 | 07:11 PM
|
Had one in my Lincoln LS, changed it

Originally Posted by mikeyss
I think most people who have them in cars don't bother because they don't drive them in dirty, dusty areas as much as typical truck owners.. I however live in Arizona and we constantly get a very fine particulate dust that settles on every interior surface. If ever a Cabin Air Filter was needed it would be on trucks. AND, even though they are ridiculously expensive, especially the charcoal models for what they basically are, you only need to change them out every 15K miles or so.

Old 10-08-2010 | 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Scott011422
Depends on how or where you use your truck. I work on a farm and frequent construction site, I would LOVE a Caf. All the dust in the cab, the Bees Wings in the fall, Screw that!!
Yep, farmers need 'em. I couldn't imagine my John Deere tractors not having them. BTW the tractors have four filters. Two to filter the recirculated cabin air when on a/c. And two more that filter the outside air if you set the a/c to bring in outside air.
And as far as the cost of changing them, they should last for years in a truck. In the tractors, I blow them out with compressed air and they last for 3 or 4 years.

Old 10-08-2010 | 07:45 PM
My truck is the first vehicle since before my last two that doesn't have a CAF. I haven't noticed a problem with dust compared to those vehicles or my wife's Civic which has one. It is one less thing I have to worry about changing.

What gets me is how much dealers charge to replace those. The Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda I have seen all had the filter easily accessible behind the glove box which pops right out. The dealers are charging $50-60 for filter and labor when I know that filter isn't costing them more than $10-12. Makes me want to go into the business of changing cabin air filters.

Old 10-08-2010 | 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by FORDFAME

Just go to HD or Lowes and buy some dust masks. They're cheaper and easily disposed. You'll get the same effect as a cabin filter, but way cheaper. And you can bring the dust masks from one vehicle to another without any sweat lost.

Old 10-08-2010 | 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
Just go to HD or Lowes and buy some dust masks. They're cheaper and easily disposed. You'll get the same effect as a cabin filter, but way cheaper. And you can bring the dust masks from one vehicle to another without any sweat lost.
GREAT IDEA

Old 10-08-2010 | 11:03 PM
As expensive as the trucks are, most are still a bargain compared to equivalent cars. Platinums and KRs are outrageous, but so are high end sedans.

Old 10-09-2010 | 08:23 AM
I would love to have the cabin air filter. For those of us that live in the hot and dry parts of the country, it's nice to be able to filter out the fine dust that blows around. I have taken long trips in vehicles with and without. So I would like to have a filter even if I had to replace it on occasion.

Old 10-09-2010 | 08:40 AM
I did some searching last year when I got my '10 and found that on some of the 04-08's you could buy the Mark LT/Expedition/Navigator's CAF and add it on. No such luck with ours.

Last edited by Pig9r; 10-09-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: $50,000 truck and NO cabin Air Filter?????