2009 - 2014 F-150

Electronic locking differential question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rb92gt
Interesting... for a truck driven on the street 95% of the time, I think I would be better off with a limited slip rear end then and not having the e-locker. Any reason this is incorrect?
The traction control does sort of act like a LS in that it may apply the brakes to the side that is slipping. However like LS, it can be defeated.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff Lockers are only ever intended for off roading. I would rather doubt that you would have problems getting up the hill in the rain towing a trailer, with all the weight on the rear wheels of the truck if your trailer is balanced correctly you should have plenty of traction. Traction control should kick in if you punch it too hard. TC works pretty well in these trucks IMO. No one would deny an LSD would be nice, but under load, a TC dependent system is probably more dependable.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by rb92gt
Interesting... for a truck driven on the street 95% of the time, I think I would be better off with a limited slip rear end then and not having the e-locker. Any reason this is incorrect?
I agree 100%. In all my past DD trucks I have bought them with the LS rear. I bought my new FX4 mainly for the 3.73 ratio,skid plates and paint to match bumpers. I am a spirited driver and the open rear drives me crazy! I'm sick of pulling around a corner trying to accelerate just to have the inside tire go up in smoke or sit and spin on a wet road. (Before the comments on TC I have disabled mine) I am researching the option of tossing my child grade, speed limited wannabe E-locker in the trash where it belongs and replacing it with a truetrac. If this is not an option I will be selling my fX4 and buying a new truck.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
You can order the Ford Raptor control switch and the transfer case control module to solve this problem. You will be able to activate your locker in 2wd but I believe it will disengage around 12mph. Total cost of the parts will be around 150 and its rather easy to swap out the parts.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
You can order the raptor control switch and the transfer case control module to solve this problem. You will be able to activate your locker in 2wd but I believe it will disengage around 12mph. Total cost of the parts will be around 150 and its rather easy to swap out the parts.
I thought someone had tried this and it did not work. Plus locking it up on dry road in a turn would not be a good idea.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
I thought someone had tried this and it did not work. Plus locking it up on dry road in a turn would not be a good idea.
I beleive the person you are thinking of just tried the switch. You also need the t-case control module as well. There is a huge thread on this over on f150forum.com. I came across it over the weekend and learned alot of info.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by used2vtec
I beleive the person you are thinking of just tried the switch. You also need the t-case control module as well. There is a huge thread on this over on f150forum.com. I came across it over the weekend and learned alot of info.
Incoming friend request Finally someone with some information! Could you post a link to the thread in question?

Thanks
Tim

Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by IDIeselman
Incoming friend request Finally someone with some information! Could you post a link to the thread in question?

Thanks
Tim
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/e-locke...ide-mod-83937/

Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I have been monitoring that thread also..

THe Tasca Josh thread has all the part numbers needed and a website to get them at. I still gotta order em up.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by dejong1
I have been monitoring that thread also..

THe Tasca Josh thread has all the part numbers needed and a website to get them at. I still gotta order em up.
Don't rush - they are on back order (at least mine are and I ordered over the weekend).

Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
If'n I get into trouble with my 3.73L/S I flip the 4x4 switch and I'm so gone.

Kinda like having an e-locker.....but no open differential.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by High-ster
If'n I get into trouble with my 3.73L/S I flip the 4x4 switch and I'm so gone.

Kinda like having an e-locker.....but no open differential.
Thats true but sometimes I really dont feel I should have to use 4x4. A couple examples would be when its snowing out and im trying to back my truck up my driveway. The open diff spins almost immediately, 4wd def gets the job done but if I could lock the rear wheels it would coast right on up. Same thing over at the boat launch. When coming up out of the water sometimes ill get a one wheelie peelie, again 4wd works but having an e-locker will solve this to. I know we bought 4wd for the exact examples I posted but I only like to use it as a last resort (when im stuck).

Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 PM
In my opinion.... Choose limited slip, unless you off road, my e-locker is useles. In east tn, not much snow, and def not enough to lock the rear end up. Unless stup pullin, or pullin a dozer, what uses? Never used mine, and one wheel spinning is what happens on 2 wd rangers!!! But if you want a fx4, sorry its an elocker, im going with xlt, with choices,

Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 AM
My parts ordered from Tasca came in and will be shipping out today.

Maybe they have more in stock for those wanting to order.

Quick Reply: Electronic locking differential question