2009 - 2014 F-150

Lets see you tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets see you tinted windows

Lets see your guys tinted window and and what Percent tint you got.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 PM
20% tint on the front windows. Matches the back windows almost perfectly. Maybe a tiny, tiny bit lighter.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Llumar ATR Charcoal 20%...

Old 10-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Same as stompy for the fronts but I put 15 on top of the factory in the rear.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 15% on the front 2 windows, and the rest stock. I looked through the pictures I have. I have one from a front angle, one that shows a behind angle view with sun coming through the windshield, a direct facing shot, and a further away one that is on a non-sunny day. Hopefully these give you some idea of the difference. By the way, IMO I think the 15% matches perfectly.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Is 20% the smae as the back windows? I've heard that its 18%, is there even an 18% tint.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mudden800
Is 20% the smae as the back windows? I've heard that its 18%, is there even an 18% tint.
I've always thought it was 17%. I've always used 15% on the front two windows to match the rears. The front two are actually darker when looking from the inside out but when viewed from the outside they look almost perfect since the large front window is letting a lot of light in.

I'll try to get some pics of mine sometime today. I'm running 5% all around with a 5% strip on the front windshield.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Trucks look great guys, I get mine tinted next Saturday cant wait.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I can't contribute a pic, but I'll give you my input on 'matching' the front windows to the rear windows tint wise. It never works out... neither matching the tint % wise or color wise. The rear windows will always have a 'brown' hue to them from the inside and outside, where as the front windows tinted aftermarket will have a 'black-blue' hue to them. This is most visible in bright light, and really anytime its sunny.

I chose to have my front windows tinted and then get the rears tinted too, it eliminates the 'brown' hue of factory tint. It does not take much either, you can put 30% over the rears and get rid of the brown hue; I happen to have 20% over mine and love it. My advice tint the rears when you tint the fronts! I'm very picky about the little things, and by tinting the front and rear windows they now all match color wise.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 PM
FX4life -- Do you tint over the existing factory tint to match?

I am under the impression that the back windows are 20% and depending on the quality of tint is why your tint will be black/blue.. You can get 3M tint which is non-metallic and it won't have that black/blue shading, but will be just like the factory... However the reason the front windows will look lighter is because they are bigger and let more light in the window so they will look lighter than the side windows ... The 3M tint that is non-metallic also doesn't interfere with cell phone signal or any other signals inside the car and guaranteed for life not to bubble, discolor, etc...

Old 10-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by jmcavalieri
FX4life -- Do you tint over the existing factory tint to match?

I am under the impression that the back windows are 20% and depending on the quality of tint is why your tint will be black/blue.. You can get 3M tint which is non-metallic and it won't have that black/blue shading, but will be just like the factory... However the reason the front windows will look lighter is because they are bigger and let more light in the window so they will look lighter than the side windows ... The 3M tint that is non-metallic also doesn't interfere with cell phone signal or any other signals inside the car and guaranteed for life not to bubble, discolor, etc...

You could tint over the rear to match the front, given your in a state that allows dark tints. Most people though agree that 20% seems to match the rear pretty well, not exactly though (in Oklahoma this is great news, not so much here in texas where the legal limit is 30% I think.) My front's dont match the rears % wise at all thanks to state law. I don't know of any states off the top of my head that allow less than 20% legally; others might know though... I ran limo tint all around for about 3 weeks before I got pulled over, had the front tint cut with X's and had to pay about a 400 dollar ticket plus prove I had removed it. After that it was legal limit only on my front windows...

I'm not matching the % of tint though, I'm interested in matching the color. It's a nit-pick type deal, I know; but I also like it dark inside so tinting the rear is a must for me anyway.. But when its bright out look (looking from the inside out) through your aftermarket tinted windows, they will appear black/blue in color; then turn around and look through the factory tint, it will appear to have a brown color to it. Even a slight application of aftermarket tint, say 30% to the rears will correct this 'color' difference between the tints. From outside the truck in dim light they will all look black, but when the light is bright/directly at the windows you will notice the color difference. For most people this doesn't matter and tinting the front to match works, but for folks like myself who put their truck under scrutiny constantly its a must.

Last edited by FX4life; 10-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
15% in the front and brow. Psyched to be getting my Katzkin leather installed Monday and Tuesday!!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 PM
I had mine tinted to match the rears with 20%, non-metallic. Mine are the same color as the stock factory tint, so I'm very pleased with the results!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Had mine tinted by the dealer,

not sure what the % is, but it pretty much matches the rear windows.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Do you guys think that I should go with 20%. I just want it to match the back

Quick Reply: Lets see you tinted windows