2009 - 2014 F-150

Just had a Viper 5901 Install, and now have some werid thing happening.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had a Viper 5901 Install, and now have some werid thing happening.

On Saturday, I had a viper 5901 install in my 2010 F-150 Screw. I have had a remote start install before, but this is my first remote and security system. Here are a few of the weird/problems I have had: (the factor door entry is still install and fully function)

1. Every time I go to lock the door, the doors lock like they should, but on the LCD remote it show that a door is open. After a few seconds it goes away.

2. A few times I have had the siren go off when I remote start the truck up and drive off like normal with the key in. So I have to hit the unlock button on the LCD remote to deactivate the alarm.

3. Lets say that I remote start the truck up and then turn off the remote start with the LCD remote. My truck navigation system / radio continues to stay on. The only way and time it will turn off is when I open up one of the doors to the truck.

Has another one else with the viper 5901 had any of these issues?

I'm thinking about maybe downgrading to the viper 5501 if these continues.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Viper775
On Saturday, I had a viper 5901 install in my 2010 F-150 Screw. I have had a remote start install before, but this is my first remote and security system. Here are a few of the weird/problems I have had: (the factor door entry is still install and fully function)

1. Every time I go to lock the door, the doors lock like they should, but on the LCD remote it show that a door is open. After a few seconds it goes away.

2. A few times I have had the siren go off when I remote start the truck up and drive off like normal with the key in. So I have to hit the unlock button on the LCD remote to deactivate the alarm.

3. Lets say that I remote start the truck up and then turn off the remote start with the LCD remote. My truck navigation system / radio continues to stay on. The only way and time it will turn off is when I open up one of the doors to the truck.

I have a Python P991 which is very similar to the Viper.

Problem #1 is likely due to the interior/perimeter lighting staying on for an extended period after you close the door. If you wait until the bed lights or interior lights go off and lock it the problem should go away. It is a bit of a pain, but with the great range these systems have you can lock it from a longer distance without having to wait close to the vehicle for the lights to go out. Once you know what is causing the issue, you can still lock the vehicle immediately after closing the door, it will just tell you the lights are still on, which can be because a door is open.

Not sure on problem #2 does this happen with the truck locked or unlocked?

Problem #3 is again a function of the truck itself and the accessories staying powered up until you open a door or ~10-15 minutes. You could also have it rewired to keep the accessory circuit from being powered on startup, but then the HVAC wouldn't work until you turned the key on.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 PM
So everyone who has a remote start/security has problem #1 and problem #3, no matter what system they get?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
viper 5901

Originally Posted by DeereGeff
I have a Python P991 which is very similar to the Viper.

Problem #1 is likely due to the interior/perimeter lighting staying on for an extended period after you close the door. If you wait until the bed lights or interior lights go off and lock it the problem should go away. It is a bit of a pain, but with the great range these systems have you can lock it from a longer distance without having to wait close to the vehicle for the lights to go out. Once you know what is causing the issue, you can still lock the vehicle immediately after closing the door, it will just tell you the lights are still on, which can be because a door is open.

Not sure on problem #2 does this happen with the truck locked or unlocked?

Problem #3 is again a function of the truck itself and the accessories staying powered up until you open a door or ~10-15 minutes. You could also have it rewired to keep the accessory circuit from being powered on startup, but then the HVAC wouldn't work until you turned the key on.
2. It happens to when the truck is locked.

DeereGeff, do you have your "Defogger" wire up? Activates the truck defogger circuit while the remote start is activated. Also, does it take it at least three time to turn off the remote start even if your standing next to the truck?

Last edited by Viper775; 10-17-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Adding a question
Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by jmcavalieri
So everyone who has a remote start/security has problem #1 and problem #3, no matter what system they get?
I'm not sure about all systems, but it sounds like his system is wired and senses the signals similar to the way mine is wired and I have the same issues. There are no doubt ways to wire them to get different results, but the suggested wiring for these systems result in these "issues".

My system senses the door being open via the dome light being on. With the delayed dome lights you have to wait until they go out to avoid the warning being displayed on the remote. I would think you may be able to use the sensing wire form the door which triggers the timer/relay and use it to avoid the issue in #1.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 PM

DeereGeff, do you have your "Defogger" wire up? Activates the truck defogger circuit while the remote start is activated. Also, does it take it at least three time to turn off the remote start even if your standing next to the truck?
I do not have the rear defogger on my truck. My truck shuts down with a single push of the remnote.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I replied earlier but do not see it.

My Clifford 50.7x did the same thing, had to have it worked on and replaced eventually. Installer says these new trucks have normally open door latches, the older alarms are only set for normally closed. So he suggested the newest 5902 which has selectable door latch NO or NC.

The door open icon is because the alarm goes by the dome light not when you close the door.

The power stays on because when you use remote start it powers the accys just like the key, so when you kill it they stay on courtesy power for 15min unless you open a door. Just like when you pull up to your house and shut it off.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 5902 and have none of these problems. I wouldnt think my 5902 is any different. Can you ask the installer that put it in the truck? or maybe call Directed?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 AM
The 5902 was designed for the new trucks that is why it has selectable door triggers. The alarm companies and especially installers are stuck in the past when it comes to technology and installs. These trucks are half digital signals not old mechanical contacts any longer. My installer was a relays and switches man, he doesn't understand binary inputs and CAN BUS.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 AM
same things happen with mine i just ignore it

Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
same things happen with mine i just ignore it
How the hell could you ingore that? All these would bug the heck out of me. When I had my alarm installed on my truck it was acting up(alarm going off for no reason) I took it back multiple times till they fixed it. The alarm should work as normal. Lock it and forget it, with out any waiting or anything. If you remote start it, it should work perfectly normal.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I also have the 5901. I would say you need to visit the Installer. Something was not wired up correctly.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by nuclearthreat54
How the hell could you ingore that? All these would bug the heck out of me. When I had my alarm installed on my truck it was acting up(alarm going off for no reason) I took it back multiple times till they fixed it. The alarm should work as normal. Lock it and forget it, with out any waiting or anything. If you remote start it, it should work perfectly normal.
anothe reason is i dont really have time to take it back to the installer i may one day when it starts pissing me off like if i have it locked i cannot use my pad on my door to open my truck the alarm will go off so its useless unless i have my keys. if i do start it and turn it off everything in my truck stays on... it doesnt really bother me that much

Old 10-20-2010, 04:46 PM

1. This is because its hooked up to your dome light instead of door triggers. When the dome light shuts off, the alarm sees a closed door trigger.

2. This shouldnt be happening as long as the alarm was disarmed.

3. This is because of your radio having RAP (retained accessory power) Only way to combat this is either disconnect the accessory circuit from the alarm, or shut your radio off when you get out of the truck if you want to retain the AC/heater being operational

I see this all the time. make sure your remote is sending the signal (orange light should flash). its almost always user error or a dieing battery.
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
The 5902 was designed for the new trucks that is why it has selectable door triggers. The alarm companies and especially installers are stuck in the past when it comes to technology and installs. These trucks are half digital signals not old mechanical contacts any longer. My installer was a relays and switches man, he doesn't understand binary inputs and CAN BUS.
You can program damn near any DEI alarm to have + or - door triggers. Saying that alarm companies installers are stuck in the past is also a very bold statement. Have you seen some of the new interface modules on the market and the stuff they are able to control via data integration?

Originally Posted by nuclearthreat54
The alarm is working as normal....

Old 10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same alarm.

#1 - This might be the delay of the remote getting the signal back from the truck. Mine usually updates in about 1 second though, so its pretty quick. I wonder if the installer can't speed the signal processing up. Two things you can do to help though...
a) Make sure the antenna is located somewhere that's not getting interference. Mine is located just above the mirror. Without a clear line outward (ie: you put it in the dash), there will be a delay.
b) Double check you have a good battery in your remote. As your battery gets lower you'll notice the time it takes to notify you goes up, and sometimes you'll get notification that the truck didn't get your command to start / unlock even though it does. I have to replace my battery every 6 - 10 wks.
If neither of these items work, someone else mentioned above that they might have used the wrong wire which also is common. Older model cars are easier to just wire off the dome light because they don't have perimeter lighting, so installers take shortcuts when they can.

#2 - I had this and took it back. They made an adjustment and its never happened again, so I'm guessing they knew what was wrong. I also took it back because one day the doors just stopped locking, but the truck would arm. And another time because the interior lights (domelight supervision) stopped working when I unlocked the vehicle. Your installer likely warranties his work for a year (or more), so while inconvenient, get it back to him to have it checked. Have a list when you go back so they can fix everything at once. Its common not to get it right the first time.

#3 - This is normal because the radio uses accessory power. Without re-wiring your radio to power up without using the accessory power, you can't get around it. But that offers other downfalls and the radio won't stay on after you take the key out for normal driving too. Older vehicles don't have this issue because they are powered differently, but this is something you will have to learn to live with (sorry).

Quick Reply: Just had a Viper 5901 Install, and now have some werid thing happening.