2009 - 2014 F-150

Bed tents. Tell me about them.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed tents. Tell me about them.

Ive seen a few of the truck bed tents here and there. Im looking for something I can take to the race track to camp in the event Im separate from my co-driver for the weekend, and his 2011 F250 PSD with 40ft box trailer complete with AC and living quarters.

Since I have a SCREW with the 5.5 foot bed, Id much rather sleep in the bed than on the ground. I have an open trailer for my car, so putting a tent on the trailer isnt really an option as its not quite wide enough for your average 4 person tent.

The only catch... I have a Bakflip. Im not entirely sure, but it seems to me that I should still be able to pull off having the tent as long as I flipped the cover up to the bed first.

Thoughts? Can anyone confirm this would work? Better yet, could anyone show pictures of the back of the tent where it meets the cab?

Old 10-21-2010, 03:11 PM
I was looking through the Ford Acc. catalogue on line and they had a tent kit for the 5.5' bed. Google this as I did not save the link.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Why sleep in the bed? It's harder than the ground and in many cases not as smooth. Plus you will have to take everything out each night to set up the tent. The only good thing I can think of is if you are in a swamp or the desert and have a high likelyhood of a flash flood and for some reason set up camp at the lowest point.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 PM
My bed tent.........a $35 dollar 2 man tent..fits PERFECT in my 6.5' bed. With my rubber truck bed mat and my tent mat in the tent it makes for a comfy sleep. I have a rollup tonneu cover and it does not get in the way at all. Me being 6'4" I just fit nicely with the tailgate down. Cheap, sleazy and effective.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Woods-Rider
Why sleep in the bed? It's harder than the ground and in many cases not as smooth. Plus you will have to take everything out each night to set up the tent. The only good thing I can think of is if you are in a swamp or the desert and have a high likelyhood of a flash flood and for some reason set up camp at the lowest point.
Simple really. First, its elevated, so when it pours rain as its known to occasionally do in the summertime, Im high and dry. Nothing worse than a wet firesuit and nomex underwear the next morning because the floor of your tent leaked.

Second, everything that will go in the back of the truck to the track (gas cans, tools, assorted spares, tires if Im carrying all five sets) will be emptied onto the ground at that point anyway.

I will give you a point on the smoothness, but I will likely buy a mattress to go back there anyway.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Scorpions and snakes too.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Another option would be to sell the BakFlip and buy a topper and throw a cot back there. Setup would be quick and some of those cots with pads are very comfortable.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15
Simple really. First, its elevated, so when it pours rain as its known to occasionally do in the summertime, Im high and dry. Nothing worse than a wet firesuit and nomex underwear the next morning because the floor of your tent leaked.

Second, everything that will go in the back of the truck to the track (gas cans, tools, assorted spares, tires if Im carrying all five sets) will be emptied onto the ground at that point anyway.

I will give you a point on the smoothness, but I will likely buy a mattress to go back there anyway.
honest question here as i havent had the new truck long enough to notice yet....
if you get a downpour, does the truck bed drain fast enough to prevent you from soakin up the water? my old truck, the water would puddle in there. like an oversized rain gauge. but i had line-x sprayed in it so it may have plugged drain holes.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 5pointslow
honest question here as i havent had the new truck long enough to notice yet....
if you get a downpour, does the truck bed drain fast enough to prevent you from soakin up the water? my old truck, the water would puddle in there. like an oversized rain gauge. but i had line-x sprayed in it so it may have plugged drain holes.
Dunno. We have had a Bakflip on since about 2 weeks after buying the truck.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Try Bass Pro Shops, Cabellas or Gander Mountain. They have bed tents and air mattreses shaped to fit the bed. You might want to take the bed cover off because some of the tents allow you to connect the rear window to the tent for access to cab or ac.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I think after looking at this further, Im just going to buy a nice ground tent and call it a day. The times where Im going to be separate from my codriver are few, so I think I could rough it in the tent if need be. If the weather is looking particularly nasty, I know most the hotels nearby VIR, Road Atlanta and Summit Point anyway.

Quick Reply: Bed tents. Tell me about them.