2009 - 2014 F-150

Thoughts on Tires size options for 2011??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Tires size options for 2011??

I've been doing my research in hopes of ordering a 2011 F150. Something that occurred to me is wheel/tire size.

Stock size is 17", but once you start getting into the option packages, some of those come with 18" wheels, and in the upper tier trucks, 20s & 22s are the norms.

Of course as the tire size increases, most of the time the sidewall decreases(at least it seems that way to me.) Where I live (Montana), it's desirable to have a tire with a larger sidewall, that extends out past the rims a bit, especially if cast alloy wheels are used. To explain... We have more gravel and "two track" roads in Montana than we do paved, and many of those roads are rutted and rocky. Folks (generally those unexperienced with living/driving around here)who have 18+" tires/alloy wheels, and travel the mountains any at all, will often dent or rip off a wheel bead. My thought is because of the "short" sidewall on those larger tires. The other factor for me wanting to stay with the 17", is replacement cost....I'd not paid much attention to it before, but there is a pretty significant different in cost when you get into 18+" tires.
When order time comes (waiting on the Ecoboost), I intend to get the "Off-road" option package, which comes with 265-70-17 tires.

Anyway, I thought I would toss it out there for opinions/discussion....your thoughts?

Old 10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what there is to discuss. I personally won't do anything less than a 20" wheel on my truck. I live in the city and will be driving a 2011 2WD Screw EB 6.5' bed and will probably lower it a tad.

I'm glad Ford offers a myriad of wheels so guys like you and I with different needs can both be satisfied...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Tires size options for 2011??