2009 - 2014 F-150

Towing: EcoBoost VS Hemi VS Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
Would it even be necessary to match up an EB and a GM 6.2? Haven't there been guys that have matched the EB to the Ford 6.2 with the EB still holding it's own?
Until guys see it, they will think there is a reason Ford is avoiding that comparo.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:18 PM
It seemed to me that the Hemi did just as well as the EB when they pulled to 80 mph, and that thing sounded amazing. And I agree, that guy was really annoying.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I've been following, and learning as much as possible about the EB. I've visited a lot of different sites/forums, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around threads like this one. If it's just for fun OK, but when your talking about comparing numbers on a 3.5L (213 CID) to something like a 6.2L(379 CID), it's kinda and apples and oranges thing isn't it??

With all the researching I've done on the EB, the only question that remains in my mind is it's long term reliability. If that portion of the equation is good, then in my opinion, Ford has produced an engine for the history books.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Until guys see it, they will think there is a reason Ford is avoiding that comparo.
Even though the Boss 6.2 makes more power than the Vortec 6.2, you're right. Naysayers won't be satisfied till they see it with their eyes.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
I've been following, and learning as much as possible about the EB. I've visited a lot of different sites/forums, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around threads like this one. If it's just for fun OK, but when your talking about comparing numbers on a 3.5L (213 CID) to something like a 6.2L(379 CID), it's kinda and apples and oranges thing isn't it??

With all the researching I've done on the EB, the only question that remains in my mind is it's long term reliability. If that portion of the equation is good, then in my opinion, Ford has produced an engine for the history books.
Having driven both the Ford 6.2 and 3.5 EB, they are almost identical. The 6.2 "feels" like it pulls a little harder in the upper RPM range, but the EB hits harder in the lower RPM range. After running them side by side, there was basically no difference in times. Remember, Ford is making the 3.5 EB the bread and butter Top Motor for the F150. The 6.2 will be a niche market engine that won't account for a lot of the sales. Similar to how you never see the GM 6.2 on any of the GM Dealer lots.

I see the EB motor taking to mods similar to how well the Diesel motors take to mods.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 PM
I still wish Ford would market the 6.2 as the Boss, since Dodge has capitalized so well on the Hemi name. That's one thing I like about Dodge, they offer the Hemi across the board and in a short bed single cab R/T trim. But then again the Hemi supposedly gets better mileage than the Boss, so they're able to do that.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 PM

I totally see your point and believe it's a good one.

However, I see the comparison of the 6.2 (Ford or Chevy) to the EB as a compliment to the EB. Everyone knows the big V8's can haul and now they're wondering if this new step-child EB can hack it in the truck world currently ruled by big V8's. Ford is asking the EB V6 to do a V8's job, so it's only fair to compare the EB to those V8's it's supposed to replicate/dominate.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Agreed, but only in the history books as the first of its kind. Give the market 2 years max, the others will have small-displacement forced induction engines as well. The market is shifting this way, better fuel economy and better efficiency. Rumors of GM's offering being a small diesel have been floating around for a while.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 PM
That's because the other Trucks do look bad. I got to drive all 3 models, Ford, Dodge and Chevy and the Silverado might as well stayed at home. The Dodge is the closest competitor but still has a ways to go on the interior and the Hemi (although sounds good), couldn't keep up with the Ecoboost towing the same trailer

I drove them all as well and totally agree. The Chevy was junk. The Dodge was very close, but I still preferred the Fords. On a side note, we just traded our 2010 300C with the 5.7 HEMI in for a Flex. We needed the extra room. However, I've never been impressed with the Hemi. It has good numbers on paper, but the performance just isn't there. And, at 6000 miles, it was making knocking noises I didn't like. My 5.0 Mustang would leave the Hemi sitting still. While the 5.0 should be faster. the Hemi should at least be in the fight and it was not. And don't believe that crap about the MDS system enhancing the mileage. I think it actually hurts mileage, as the dang thing is constantly shifting in and out of "eco" mode. My best mileage with the 300 was 18 highway on cruise control. A far cry from the 25 claimed. Imagine what the milage in the truck would be?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very impressive real world videos if you ask me! I agree the dude was annoying however!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 PM

The technology isn't new. It has been around in one form or another for a while. BMW came out with a twin turbo direct injection 6 cylinder several years ago. Ford first put it in the Taurus SHO and MKS and now the F-150 gets a version.

As far as comparing the two engines 6.2 v.s. ecoboost, that's the idea. A small twin turbo V6 can do what the big V8 can do and (hopefully) with better fuel economy.

Ford has already put 150k miles on one ecoboost, hauled logs for a day and are now heading to a NASCAR track to haul two sprint cars on a trailer around the track at up to 90 mph for 24 hours. It has been reported that the trailer will weigh in at 11,300 lbs. I think a sprint car weighs about 3800 lbs x2 = 7600 and then trailer weight. 24' gooseneck probably weighs about 3500 - 4000lbs. So it should be quite easy to reach the 11,300 lbs max. If the ecoboost can pull that load for 24 hours straight maybe the big V8 guys will finally give it the chance that it deserves.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
The technology isn't new. It has been around in one form or another for a while. BMW came out with a twin turbo direct injection 6 cylinder several years ago. Ford first put it in the Taurus SHO and MKS and now the F-150 gets a version.

As far as comparing the two engines 6.2 v.s. ecoboost, that's the idea. A small twin turbo V6 can do what the big V8 can do and (hopefully) with better fuel economy.

Ford has already put 150k miles on one ecoboost, hauled logs for a day and are now heading to a NASCAR track to haul two sprint cars on a trailer around the track at up to 90 mph for 24 hours. It has been reported that the trailer will weigh in at 11,300 lbs. I think a sprint car weighs about 3800 lbs x2 = 7600 and then trailer weight. 24' gooseneck probably weighs about 3500 - 4000lbs. So it should be quite easy to reach the 11,300 lbs max. If the ecoboost can pull that load for 24 hours straight maybe the big V8 guys will finally give it the chance that it deserves.
The cup cars weigh 3500 each I believe. They will have to have the hammer down to do 90. Can they even do that around that track with a trailer? Or is that max speed down the straights? Will be interesting to watch anyway. If they happen to blow an engine will anybody know about it?

I think in everyday use for the average guy this is going to be a great engine. I was impressed watching those vids but they didnt show the Tundra and I think it has the best V8 of anybody. Big V8's that is.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang9

I was impressed watching those vids but they didnt show the Tundra and I think it has the best V8 of anybody. Big V8's that is.
lol

Old 11-04-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm also wondering if they will tell us if they run into problems with the EB during testing. What they are putting that thing through is insane and I'm glad they are letting us watch, but with how much is riding on this motor doing well, I would think if it broke there would be a cover up.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Am I the only one that noticed that those guys were following entirely too close on the highway towing those trailers?

No matter what wizbang computer assisted brake controller you have, or whatever NASA designed space shuttle brake pads you have the laws of physics still apply....

Quick Reply: Towing: EcoBoost VS Hemi VS Chevy