2009 - 2014 F-150

volant air system..Review--LOSS

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volant air system..Review--LOSS

I bought a Volant CAI and Borla Exhaust , I installed the Volant, but I have not yet installed the exhaust as I wanted to see what gains or improvement I got from each one.

Im not pleased with the results of the Volant due to the following:
>Drone or noise: At 1200 to 1500 RPM, there is a drone or bog sound. I have checked all the connections and its all sealed. The noise is at lower speeds and bugs me. Sounds like crap.
> Loss of MPG: Prior to install I got 17.7 MPG running 65 MPH on a 240 mile trip. After the install I took the same trip, same road, same fuel and the same speed with a a result of 16.4 MPG..a loss. I guess the CPU remaps and then retards the timing?
> Feels better under full throttle but, it may be all in my head as its louder?

Volant claims up to a 4 mpg gain, so Im displeased with my results.

So, if anyone out there that has a Volant, let me know, did it take time for the truck or filter to net any gains? Should I check the Mass Air Flow Sensor?
Should I have disconnected the battey to remap the system?
Thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nojeffgordon
I bought a Volant CAI and Borla Exhaust , I installed the Volant, but I have not yet installed the exhaust as I wanted to see what gains or improvement I got from each one.

Im not pleased with the results of the Volant due to the following:
>Drone or noise: At 1200 to 1500 RPM, there is a drone or bog sound. I have checked all the connections and its all sealed. The noise is at lower speeds and bugs me. Sounds like crap.
> Loss of MPG: Prior to install I got 17.7 MPG running 65 MPH on a 240 mile trip. After the install I took the same trip, same road, same fuel and the same speed with a a result of 16.4 MPG..a loss. I guess the CPU remaps and then retards the timing?
> Feels better under full throttle but, it may be all in my head as its louder?

Volant claims up to a 4 mpg gain, so Im displeased with my results.

So, if anyone out there that has a Volant, let me know, did it take time for the truck or filter to net any gains? Should I check the Mass Air Flow Sensor?
Should I have disconnected the battey to remap the system?
Thanks
Hi.

Sorry about yer 'loss'

This is on an '09 + (given where you posted this)?

All I can offer is that, had you the opportunity to do some research on this brand here, you would never have purchased it.

As you have discovered - it is crap.

Can you return it?

'Remapping' as you put it, will not help. In fact, nothing short of custom tuning will even begin to address the skewed MAF transfer function you have promulgated. The 09+ trucks are not immune to this issue. (And that is just one of the problems with these intakes).

Remove it. Sell it. Burn it. Give it to someone you hate.

Stay stock or perhaps apply the Gotts mod.

Good luck.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-01-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Sorry, Its on a 2010 5.4 in a Raptor.
I thought I had done enough research. I talked with Volant users with f150s and they had seen an increase and liked them over the K&N CAI units.

In the look of the design, It seemed it would obtain more cool air, maybe the filter does not have enough surface area?

Last edited by nojeffgordon; 11-01-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Sorry, Its a 2010 5.4 in a Raptor.
Sir - that is just too beautiful a truck to abuse in this fashion.

See Bill's dissertation: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...highlight=2009

... and mine, lol: https://www.f150online.com/forums/4380893-post10.html

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-01-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Sir - that is just too beautiful a truck to abuse in this fashion.

See Bill's dissertation: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...highlight=2009

... and mine, lol: https://www.f150online.com/forums/4380893-post10.html

MGD
Ok, so in Bills post, it appears to see any gain, you need to be well above 3500 rpm,,,and there is a lean condition under normal driving...right?
Your post stated" You still have a slot-style MAF; pecker with the region within which that MAF resides and you can expect to have problems"
Do you think the MAF location on the CAI as something to do with it or did I meess something up by messing with the MAF?
Thanks for your time

Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Ok, so in Bills post, it appears to see any gain, you need to be well above 3500 rpm,,,and there is a lean condition under normal driving...right?
Your post stated" You still have a slot-style MAF; pecker with the region within which that MAF resides and you can expect to have problems"
Do you think the MAF location on the CAI as something to do with it or did I meess something up by messing with the MAF?
Thanks for your time
Simply put - the MAF is a primary sensor - and is part of the A/F control. Skew the embedded transfer function (a hard-coded table within the PCM calibration) and you risk being unsafe.

More here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/4344063-post4.html

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-01-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: info correction on A/F
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM
The drone you hear is because you probably took off the stock air inlet tube and all its little growths that stick out along the sides. Those act as a muffler or sorts to cancel the drone, so you don't hear it as badly when you accelerate. Some guys like that, and some don't. I like a little, but not alot.

Quick Reply: volant air system..Review--LOSS