6.2 or Eco Boost, Which one

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best advice is go try em' both and your gonna walk out with an ecoboost

Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by 07F150OAKLEY
Go with the ecoboost and don't look back....who ever tells you otherwise has obviously never driven one!!!!
I have driven one EB and two 6.2s. Both 6.2s felt stronger to me. My father ended up with a 6.2. Averaged 17.2 MPG last weekend with it on approx. 1000 mile trip. You will not go wrong with either though, I prefer a N/A V8 over a boosted V6 any day of the week.

Last edited by 70BOSS302; 08-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by 07F150OAKLEY
Best advice is go try em' both and your gonna walk out with an ecoboost
I tried them both out on 3 different occassions, 3 different dealerships, with the same configurations everytime (SCrew, 4X4, max tow with 3.73 rear ends, etc) and walked out with the 6.2 (Platinum).

On each test drive, with back to back identical highway cruising speeds (approx 25 mile round trip) I averaged virtually the same fuel mileage on the digital read outs.... 18mpg at 62 mph, 17 mpg at 68 mph, 16 mpg at 75 mph, give or take .5 mpg, with the same result between the 2 in overall average. Its clear to me the EB, when in a truck configured the same as the 6.2, will get very similar fuel mileage. Sure an EB with 3.55's, 3.31's etc will get better fuel mileage, so would the 6.2 but you can't get it in anything less than 3.73's, hence my theory on the difference in official "ratings".

The 6.2 gets a bad rap here with fuel mileage, mainly because everyone bases it on what a Raptor 6.2 gets with its standard 4.10 gear ratio, larger heavier tires and overall heavier, less wind resistant package/stance. I get an easy 18 - 19 mpg at 65 mph highway cruising, and have averaged 17 with about 20% city driving, 80% highway. Not sure what the EB sits at but this thing idles along in 6th at about 1500-1600 rpm while highway cruising. I've got about 4000 miles on the truck so far, so is it broken in yet? As far as towing goes, I've averaged anywhere from 7 - 11 mpg, dependant on the obvious.... wind, speed, hills etc. Looks as though its been proven that an EB will do no better than this while towing, and the 6.2 has the larger, 36 gallon tank option.... aka much better towing range. The 6.2 pulls the snot out of my 8000 lb (loaded) trailer with a family of 4, and didn't have a problem maintaining 50mph into a howling headwind up a long 7.5% grade, with no overheating issues.

This leads to the Chevy/Dodge Hemi/Ecoboost towing comparison video (9000lb trailer, up hill, full throttle)..... the EB whooped the other 2 off the line, including a 17 - 20 second(??) spanking of the Hemi. No doubt attributable to the EB's high torque at lower RPM's, but the Hemi was only 3 seconds behind the EB at the end of the race. Obviously the Hemi was catching up dramatically, and would have passed the EB had they not ended the test so soon. Not sure what that means but could it be attributable to twin turbo heat soak?

A few other things with the comparison that both the wife and I noticed.... The EB steering was a bit lighter and almost felt too "loose". The 6.2 steering was a little tighter, but still light. The 6.2 has an exaust note to DIE for, the EB sounds like a sewing machine on steroids. They both had incredible power and acceleration, but the EB had a real annoying lag/hesitation right off the bottom, everytime we tested it, not the case with the 6.2.

Sorry for the book. All statements above are based on my personal experiences and opinion. From what i've read here over the last few months the EB fan club can get a little sensitive, but........ just sayin.

PS - Hats off to Ford and the engine choices they have, and the overall F-150 package. I've always been a Chev/GMC guy, this is my first Ford truck and I would consider it so far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Last edited by Countryboy8602; 08-12-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:51 PM
With all the EB comments going on, it has me wondering if i should change my motor choice to the 5.0. My truck is on order but i still have time to change things. Seems like alot of ppl are complaining about the turbo lag. I have also heard of a few check engine lights before 1,000 miles was hit. Also heard of a guy putting a license plate bracket in the center of the opening, now the truck doesnt run right and blows alot of black smoke and big loss of power, the dealer removed the bracket and it still blows black smoke and has a loss of power. still havent heard if that was cause by the bracket only or other troubles. I need a truck with power and I can not afford $50,000 for a truck just to get the 6.2L, I am confused on what to do.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nathan08fx4
With all the EB comments going on, it has me wondering if i should change my motor choice to the 5.0. My truck is on order but i still have time to change things. Seems like alot of ppl are complaining about the turbo lag. I have also heard of a few check engine lights before 1,000 miles was hit. Also heard of a guy putting a license plate bracket in the center of the opening, now the truck doesnt run right and blows alot of black smoke and big loss of power, the dealer removed the bracket and it still blows black smoke and has a loss of power. still havent heard if that was cause by the bracket only or other troubles. I need a truck with power and I can not afford $50,000 for a truck just to get the 6.2L, I am confused on what to do.
You worry too much, take a chill pill, relax and wait for your new truck to arrive.

Last edited by NASSTY; 08-12-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
NASSTY- I have had a 97 f-150 4.6L, 2- 2003 f-150 5.4L's a 05- f1-50 5.4L and this 2008 f-150 5.4l and no problems out of them at all. But with all I am hearing about the EB and turbo lag and another post is an over heating problem in arizona and a few check engine lights, i am questioning if the EB is as tough as Ford says it is????

Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
NASSTY- I have had a 97 f-150 4.6L, 2- 2003 f-150 5.4L's a 05- f1-50 5.4L and this 2008 f-150 5.4l and no problems out of them at all. But with all I am hearing about the EB and turbo lag and another post is an over heating problem in arizona and a few check engine lights, i am questioning if the EB is as tough as Ford says it is????

Give me a break...lol Are you serious?? 2 posts and your ready to change engines??

Just relax and wait for your Ecoboost.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:02 PM
The turbo lag comments are laughable. I noticed NO lag whatsoever.

You want lag? Drive a fire engine with 500 gallons of water with a 60 Series Detroit (which I do), that's turbo lag,

Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm on 3 different F150 forums and I've read about as many issues with the 5.0 as I have with the ecoboost. For every problem you read about on these forums there are thousands that are having no issues. I'm lucky that I am one of the thousands that are having no issues. Turbo lag what's that? They forgot to add that option to my truck.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:14 PM
6.2 for me. I refuse to buy anything that starts with 'eco'. Green is the new red. Mind you if it would simply have been called 3.5 TT, i may have considered it.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:05 AM
i am averaging 15.4 mpgs with my raptor, that is driving 40% city 60%freeway. my 08' f-150 averaged the same as the raptor so far. the 6.2 is an awesome motor. did i wish it got better gas mileage, yes. i knew what i was getting into.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
As much as I love the new EcoBoost, I think if pmason can afford a Harley Davidson, he can afford the 6.2L and the subsequent gas mileage (or lack thereof).

Originally Posted by pgh_medic

You want lag? Drive a fire engine with 500 gallons of water with a 60 Series Detroit (which I do), that's turbo lag,
Shoot, all I hear is the turbos spool on ours but the truck is slower to accelerate than my grandma's Kia!

Originally Posted by mr_andy
6.2 for me. I refuse to buy anything that starts with 'eco'. Green is the new red. Mind you if it would simply have been called 3.5 TT, i may have considered it.
Yes, but a majority of people love marketing. A soccer mom isnt going to know what "TT" stands for. EcoBoost simply sums up the engine. Turbocharged and efficient. Its with the times.

In reality its sad you based an engines assumption off of its name. I'm willing to bed my next paycheck you've never even driven one

Old 08-13-2011, 02:19 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by pgh_medic

I test drove two vehicles that were exactly the same other than one had the EB and the other one had the 5.0. I made my decision after that test drive as to which I would buy. I assure you, the EB I test drove had a very noticable lag when I got on it to pass or change lanes. It happened every time. This is the first turbo engine I have ever driven and I had never heard of turbo lag at the time, so it was not something I was programmed to look for. Yours doesn't lag, great. This one did and it bothered me. No way would I buy it. I am very happy with my 5.0, but I only have 800 miles on it, so time will tell if I stay happy. My first full tank I averaged 18 mpg, mixed driving and the second tank, 19.

The EB also had a noticably light steering feeling when changing lanes etc. Nothing that I could not get used to, but definitely different.

Last edited by Bluejay; 08-13-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I test drove two vehicles that were exactly the same other than one had the EB and the other one had the 5.0. I made my decision after that test drive as to which I would buy. I assure you, the EB I test drove had a very noticable lag when I got on it to pass or change lanes. It happened every time. This is the first turbo engine I have ever driven and I had never heard of turbo lag at the time, so it was not something I was programmed to look for. Yours doesn't lag, great. This one did and it bothered me. No way would I buy it. I am very happy with my 5.0, but I only have 800 miles on it, so time will tell if I stay happy. My first full tank I averaged 18 mpg, mixed driving and the second tank, 19.
They can be a little laggy sitting on the dealers lot. The PCM hasn't adapted to a particular driving style yet. With several people driving it (some babying it some driving slightly spirited)it hasn't adapted to anyone's driving style yet. Once you keep driving it to be responsive it will be responsive. It gets better with more miles.
I ordered mine so only me and the service guy that prepped my truck drove it.It was slightly laggy when I first got it but that was gone within a day or two.
I'm sure a brand new 5.0 will get better with more miles and some spirited driving too.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Maybe I am worrying too much. I have drove about 4 total EB trucks, all with 3.73 gears and ppl complain about turbo lag, well what about the slow downshift of the 5.0L??? When I drove the 5.0L's, the downshift of it was just like turbo lag. I can deal with the turbo lag, thats not my issue. I just hear and read stories and it makes the mind wonder. I work at a Ford dealership and we have not seen any issues here. I was on the Ford Tech chat that we can get on through dealership and i seen no issues in our region, so I guess thats a good thing.

Quick Reply: 6.2 or Eco Boost, Which one