2009 - 2014 F-150

6.2 or Eco Boost, Which one

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haggis
Steady state testing does nothing but prove the engine can operate under consistant conditions for an extended period under laboratory perfect conditions. I assure you the cooling system was hooked up to a 100 gallon freon cooled tank, the oil was synthetic and brand new, and the engine was hand built by the engineers who designed it. Try cycling a regular production engine through what it would see under normal use for a year, dirty oil, hot days, cold nights, starting, stopping, etc.............. then get back to me. Call me a skeptic............but 3.5 liter twin-turbo gasoline engines do not belong in a 5500# truck. Once again IMHO. Cheers.
I'm not trying to argue, but what I gathered from the video is that the engine was randomly selected from the assembly line (are they even building the engines - how could they randomly pull one if they're not being manufactured at the time of the video?) and the tests were not consistent in nature, but varied intentionally (freeze/thaw/intense heat/part throttle/full throttle/etc). Yeah, I'm only seeing what Ford is telling us, but I would like to think they wouldn't take a massive gamble and try to pull the wool over our eyes when we're talking about the success of their most popular product and, ultimately, their company.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Well Chris, it hasn't stopped Ford from putting the highly defective 5.4 3v on the street for far too many years. With the spark plug abortion and the screwed up cam phasers, who'd a thunk it was a Ford product? I believe that Ford is going to offer these not only as an expensive option to limit buyers but they'll probably limit the count by low production numbers. If it's not working very well, they can always claim the engines are going into other vehicles that yield them more $$$ and just not that many will be on the streets. But, regardless of how well it works or doesn't work, YOU, the consumer are the real world test dummy. I certainly would not want to be among the first to buy one.....or second for that matter.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Eb all day long. 6.2l is going to be a gas hog.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:26 AM
most of the people on this site who bash the EB have never owned (or even driven) a D.I. turbo gas engine. this 3.5 will be fine and time will prove it.

no boost in regular driving? what a joke. obviously you're not going to have 20psi in regular driving, but you will have boost while accelerating, just not when your cruising.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by josh34
most of the people on this site who bash the EB have never owned (or even driven) a D.I. turbo gas engine. this 3.5 will be fine and time will prove it.
Also consider that NOBODY has owned a small displacement D.I. gas engine in a modern 5500 pound vehicle either. Especially a 5500 vehicle that is sold as "everyday hard working", likely abused, and still expected to last. Not arguing with you, just adding some important details when considering the expectation of this engine.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
I'm not trying to argue, but what I gathered from the video is that the engine was randomly selected from the assembly line (are they even building the engines - how could they randomly pull one if they're not being manufactured at the time of the video?) and the tests were not consistent in nature, but varied intentionally (freeze/thaw/intense heat/part throttle/full throttle/etc). Yeah, I'm only seeing what Ford is telling us, but I would like to think they wouldn't take a massive gamble and try to pull the wool over our eyes when we're talking about the success of their most popular product and, ultimately, their company.
You are correct, but don't be fooled by this marketing game. Ford did randomly select an engine, dyno tested it, then hauled some timbers, next they're playing with the truck on Daytona and then ???? Don't for one minute think they haven't orchestrated this entire story.

This is all about the marketing. Don't loose sight of the game that's being played here. Ford is going to have a heck of a time showing many of us that the EB is the way to go over traditional V-8's.

Time is the only thing that will show most of us that the EB is the way to go. Heck, go back a number of years, many of us were questioning the validity of Ford's decision to dump the old cam in block V-8 architecture to the new overhead cams. Time will tell all....

Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pmason718
I feel so stupid, lol, I should have figured that out
Sorry. I don't like to quote posts right before mine. You asked what the fuel economy for the 6.2L is and just wanted to answer. I should have been more clear. 12MPG city and 17MPG highway. I am estimating the EB @ 17MPG ctiy and 23MPG highway.

The EB engine plant in not the same as F-150 production plant. No reason why any random engine cannot be pull from the line for the testing Ford did in the F-150.

The EB has 10k mile oil change intervals in other vehicles. Maybe it will be less in the F-150, but even half is longer than what most people went 10 years ago between oil changes.

Why would the EB need shorter gearing? It has at least 350ft-lbs of torque from 1500-5500rpm, which is better than the 5.4L.

People need to get past the number and displacement of the cylinders. The area under the torque under the torque curve for the 3.5L EB is better than any other half ton. Yes, if the torque is used, fuel economy suffers. It does with every naturally aspirated engine too.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I've followed this thread, and can see both sides. There will always be folks who simply will not accept a non-V8 power plant in a truck...I get it. A couple of things that I have not seen mentioned are:

Much of the direction that vehicle power plants are taking is being dictated at the federal level, with auto makers being mandated on various aspects of their products. Because of this, I suspect that over the next few years, we will see many other "new and exotic" power plants being offered across the board....I see it as a forced change, and regardless how much the public objects, it will move forward.

Next, I have read how many are skeptical of the reliability of the EB. I think folks have a right to be skeptical, but not once have I read anyone mention that these new vehicles come with a warranty. There was a time when I felt that purchasing an extended warranty on a vehicle was a waste. But that attitude has changed. It would seem to me that a person buying the EB, would be wise to purchase an extended warranty. After looking at the available warranty, Ford's PremiumCare warranty for 7 year/100,000 mile is just over $2k on a 2011 F-150.....considering the overall cost of the vehicle, the labor, and parts, that's a pretty cheap insurance policy. If by some chance the EB turns out to be a "lemon", we have laws that cover that.

Is Ford "Hyping" things in their advertising? Sure they are. Any company that steps out as they are doing with the EB would do the same. It's up to the consumer to do the homework, review the facts, and even trust those gut instincts that we feel.

Me? Right now the plan is to order a new F-150 sometime next spring. With the EB... I simply cannot ignore the potential. If I purchase a top end warranty along with the vehicle, then I have little to worry about for the first 100,000 miles (which will take me at least 7 years to accumulate). By then, we will know if the EB can endure.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
NP buddy! I'm in IT - and I had to Google it!

Any Idea just how many hits you get by entering 'c' or 'h' into the search criteria????

GEEKS RULE !!!

Cheers

MGD
Nah, I didn't try it.

Originally Posted by barry1me
Eb all day long. 6.2l is going to be a gas hog.
Ok but how much of a gas hog compared to the current 5.4

Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
I've followed this thread, and can see both sides. There will always be folks who simply will not accept a non-V8 power plant in a truck...I get it. A couple of things that I have not seen mentioned are:

Much of the direction that vehicle power plants are taking is being dictated at the federal level, with auto makers being mandated on various aspects of their products. Because of this, I suspect that over the next few years, we will see many other "new and exotic" power plants being offered across the board....I see it as a forced change, and regardless how much the public objects, it will move forward.

Next, I have read how many are skeptical of the reliability of the EB. I think folks have a right to be skeptical, but not once have I read anyone mention that these new vehicles come with a warranty. There was a time when I felt that purchasing an extended warranty on a vehicle was a waste. But that attitude has changed. It would seem to me that a person buying the EB, would be wise to purchase an extended warranty. After looking at the available warranty, Ford's PremiumCare warranty for 7 year/100,000 mile is just over $2k on a 2011 F-150.....considering the overall cost of the vehicle, the labor, and parts, that's a pretty cheap insurance policy. If by some chance the EB turns out to be a "lemon", we have laws that cover that.

Is Ford "Hyping" things in their advertising? Sure they are. Any company that steps out as they are doing with the EB would do the same. It's up to the consumer to do the homework, review the facts, and even trust those gut instincts that we feel.

Me? Right now the plan is to order a new F-150 sometime next spring. With the EB... I simply cannot ignore the potential. If I purchase a top end warranty along with the vehicle, then I have little to worry about for the first 100,000 miles (which will take me at least 7 years to accumulate). By then, we will know if the EB can endure.
Very well said - I agree with everything you said. I, for one, am getting a kick out of all the naysayers and the old 'there's no replacement for displacement' arguments and the ridiculous 'if you want good fuel mileage, get a Prius' statements. I pray that this 'little V6' turns out to be a reliable alternative to the V8 engines, all the while netting equal or better performance and better fuel mileage.

Maybe then some of these (idiotic, in my mind) naysayers will accept the fact that there is an alternative to the gas guzzling V8s that have paved the way for so long.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:53 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Like it or not, the gas guzzlers are slowly but surely going away. You can thank CAFE for that. They will still be around for the people who really need them, but production will be very limited and the price will be very high. Why do you think the 6.2 is only going to be offered in a few specific high end models in 2011? You want to play, you gotta pay.

Remember, it's not the actual over the road gas mileage that counts for all this - it's what the EPA numbers wind up at. I'm sure that under certain conditions, the 6.2 may get BETTER mileage than the EB, but that's immaterial when it comes to complying with CAFE.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:50 PM

The ecoboost should come with the standard 5 year, 60k powertrain warranty. So for your two grand you are getting two additional years- sounds kind of steep to me. Or does this warranty kick in after the 3 year bumper to bumper expires and cover everything from years 3-7?
I would prefer to buy just a extended powertrain warranty that kicks in after the 5 years is up and extend it to 7 or 10 years.

I do think that Ford should give a 7 year, 85k mile warranty as standard on the ecoboost. If they really want diehard V8 user's to try one that would definitely help

Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I was just at the dealership this morning. They are building me a mock invoice for the truck I want....when I get the paperwork I will let everyone know the totals. I also asked about the warranties, both standard and extended.
Any extra warranty that is purchased beyond the "standard" 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper, and/or the 5 year/60k power train starts either from the date the vehicle was purchased NEW, or an odometer reading of zero. If I were to purchase the PremiumCare warranty (7 year/100K) it will add $7 per month to the payment.

Two years of extra coverage for 2k might sound steep until you consider for example....the turbo goes out...labor rate today is $100 per hour (predicted to go to $110 an hour sometime early next year) with the dealer guide specifying it as a 7 hour job, parts to replace the turbo are approx $1,400 (figures may not be exact since the new parts prices are not available yet, and they used the Flex parts as a guideline). So your at $2,100 for that repair alone. (I got those figures from the service mgr. at our local dealership this morning).....OK, that basically made you break even on the cost of the warranty.
I suppose it's all in how you look at it.....if an extra $7 per month ($84 per year of the loan) will save me shelling out $2,100 at one whack, then it's something that is worth considering to me. As I said previously, I have always been one of those who thought extended warranties were a rip-off...but with the complexity of new vehicles, it's something that I have come to view in a different light.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 PM
I was just at the dealership this morning. They are building me a mock invoice for the truck I want....when I get the paperwork I will let everyone know the totals. I also asked about the warranties, both standard and extended.
Any extra warranty that is purchased beyond the "standard" 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper, and/or the 5 year/60k power train starts either from the date the vehicle was purchased NEW, or an odometer reading of zero. If I were to purchase the PremiumCare warranty (7 year/100K) it will add $7 per month to the payment.

Two years of extra coverage for 2k might sound steep until you consider for example....the turbo goes out...labor rate today is $100 per hour (predicted to go to $110 an hour sometime early next year) with the dealer guide specifying it as a 7 hour job, parts to replace the turbo are approx $1,400 (figures may not be exact since the new parts prices are not available yet, and they used the Flex parts as a guideline). So your at $2,100 for that repair alone. (I got those figures from the service mgr. at our local dealership this morning).....OK, that basically made you break even on the cost of the warranty.
I suppose it's all in how you look at it.....if an extra $7 per month ($84 per year of the loan) will save me shelling out $2,100 at one whack, then it's something that is worth considering to me. As I said previously, I have always been one of those who thought extended warranties were a rip-off...but with the complexity of new vehicles, it's something that I have come to view in a different light.

Why would the extended warranty start the day you purchase the vehicle? The Ford warranty is good then. Maybe that is their way to make you pay the $7 month from the first month instead of when the first warranty actually expires. How does $7.00 per month equal $2000 for an extended warranty? A 7 year loan at $84 year would only be $588

BTW, thanks for the info on the turbo and pricing. I can do the labor myself and save their rates, as long as you don't have to pull the cab like on the older Powerstrokes. Did the service manager mention whether cab removal is required for the ecoboost?

Also since your wife works at a dealership, what do they have to say about when the ecoboost will be available?

Thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Considering the turbos are mounted low and towards the front of the engine (and they're rather small), I seriously doubt turbo service will require removal of any body panels, much less the cab.

Quick Reply: 6.2 or Eco Boost, Which one