2009 - 2014 F-150

6.2 or Eco Boost, Which one

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't say I'm naysaying the EB, just not sold on it yet. Hell, I hope it does get excellent MPG and proves to be reliable in the long haul (I sure as hell don't want Ford to get a black eye). I just know I won't be buying one in the next three years as I just bought a 2010 5.4L gas hog (4x4 I am getting 17.6mpg, only have 600 miles on it). Best of luck to everyone with the EB's in 2011, can't wait to see what happens.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
Considering the turbos are mounted low and towards the front of the engine (and they're rather small), I seriously doubt turbo service will require removal of any body panels, much less the cab.

I was thinking on the order of my 6.0 wondering if the cab had to be pulled for any service not just turbo replacement.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Well, no mock invoice yet....the EB codes are not yet in the dealership computers....they tell me another month or so. Something that I did learn....I was concerned on an EB equipped truck about the location of the intercooler....from what I had seen/heard, it was to be located in the front "bumper cutout", which worried me....the folks at the dealership tell me that now it's going to be located with the oil cooler near the middle of the radiator...that's encouraging.

I never thought to ask about cab removal to replace the turbo....GOOD CATCH! I've not seen the F150 with the cab off, but I did have a chance to visit the shop when they were pulling heads on a 2010 F350.....that was something....they have a hi-tech lift system that picks up the whole doghouse/cab from the frame. When I chatted with one of the mechanics during a break, he told me that Ford had to re-write the maintenance/repair time book with the 2010 Super Duties because almost everything takes more time to repair than previous model years...mostly due to the necessity of removing the cab.

The only information on the availability of the EB that anyone at the dealership can give me is "Feb-Mar 2011".....trying to get anything more than that is like pulling teeth.

All in good time I suppose.....beside, I need to save a few more pennies before I can even think about placing my order.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the information. I am patiently waiting to get one ordered as well. I guess the movement of the intercooler means the license plate can stay in the middle- GREAT NEWS!!

Last edited by johndeerefarmer; 11-10-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Looking at the torque curves it looks to me like the V8's should be worried about keeping up with the EB instead of the other way around. For a truck anyway. The EB torque in the first half of the power band is better than any available V8. That is where I want it in my truck. I don't want to run it to 3 or 4 or 5k to get that much torque. I've yet to drive any NA V8 that pulls a heavy or high profile trailer at speed all that good below about 2,500 rpm. If this EB can pull a 6-8k t-top boat along the highway holding a gear turning under 2,500 it will be what I'm looking for. I've yet to drive a V8 gasser that can do that without gearing down with any headwind or throttle input. I'll make my final decision based on an extended test drive of each engine and final EB mpg rating but leaning to the EB. I've never been overly impressed with any truck gas V8 for towing. Diesels tow great at low rpm mostly because of the turbo (obviously the nature of the engine as well). But it's the turbo that helps make the power at the low rpm. The diesel we all wanted in the F150 has been killed imo by emissions. I think it would be too expensive to purchase and maintain. The EB may be the next best thing to what a diesel could have been before emissions killed it. Even the small turbo engine Audi's I've driven you can feel that turbo making a ton of power down low. I think if I planned to try to pull a lot more power out I would go 5.0 or 6.2 with a blower. I do believe that already at 100+ hp/liter the EB is not an engine I would push much higher. But with 420 tq so low I doubt it's needed. To me a V8 sounds the best but I've loved the feel of every turbo vehicle I've driven more than NA engines for low end power. I'll have to trust Ford built it right if I go with the EB.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Id take the 6.2L hands down....if only they would offer it in the FX4 as I can't stand the lariat fake wood accents.

If forced, I will pickup a 5.0L in the FX4 and then tune/modify it for the extra power...I dont do enough towing to warrant the low torque curve of the ecoboost...If I did a ton of towing I would up and get a diesel in a F350.

We'll all know how each engine is in 4-5 years when people have not only put time on the engines (unlike Ford's tests) but cold starts, abuse from daily driving and improper care of the engines. Which will be about the time I start looking at my brand new truck to replace my 05 (knock on wood nothing major happens to my 05)

Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm also wondering why everyone seems to think the EB should only be considered for those that do a lot of towing?

I do very little towing and the EB is at the top of my list. The fuel economy, better around-town performance due to extra low-end torque, etc. are all factors, even when unloaded.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 AM
First I've gotta say, thanks to everyone for the interesting and civil discussion in this thread. Not very many forums out there can do that

Originally Posted by Haggis
If Ford was serious about milage in their trucks there would be a small displacement turbo-Diesel option along with the 5.0.............IMHO
I disagree. Maybe ten years ago it would have been plausible to build a small displacement turbo diesel engine option for the F150 and actually have it be of benefit to the consumer, but not now for several reasons. Diesel powerplants today have steep initial costs. Heavy duty diesel powerplants of today don't deliver the fuel mileage that they once did due to restrictive emissions controls. Diesel fuel is also more expensive that regular unleaded (a whopping fifty cents more per gallon than regular unleaded here), compared to usually being the cheapest fuel available ten years ago.

Being that the average person keeps their new car for about six years before getting a new one, what is the benefit to owning a diesel if just owning one for the supposed superior mileage benefit? As it stands right now, the cost of owning a 3.5L EB for six years (15k miles each year with $3/gal; basing it off an average of 20mpg though I feel it will be rated for more than that) is $13500. For a small displacement diesel that IMO might be rated for 25mpg, the fuel cost is $12600 over six years ($3.50/gal). So you save $900? Not counting the initial cost of a small displacement diesel which is probably north of $5k at least, depending on if it's mass produced or not (probably not, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms). The only benefit to owning a diesel is fuel mileage while towing, and MAYBE long term reliability (older diesels had reliability down pat, but I don't know about any of these new ones). And let's not forget the added maintenance cost, urea, etc...

Obviously this comparison is not air tight because there are still too many unknown facts about EB or a small displacement diesel, but I believe that the average American will NEVER recoup the cost of a small-displacement diesel in a half-ton pickup. I will go further out on a limb and say that I would predict a small displacement vehicle to be a flop in sales due to the steep initial costs. It might do okay the first and second year it's available and then sales would drop through the floor, and/or it would hurt their Super Duty sales. This would largely depend on how Ford prices it compared to their Super Duty with a 6.7L in it.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a diesel-powered F150 (I want my next car to be a VW Jetta TDI). I just don't think it would survive, especially given the current economy and fuel prices.

And food for thought: An article about the future of diesel fuel. Written over two years ago, but still interesting to read.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Update - EcoBoost Engine

Morning folks, just got this from a friend in Military New car sales since he knows I want the TT V6 in my FX2.
-----------------------------------
This is an update on the new EcoBoost engines for 2011 F-150

On 2011 F-150, the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost is projected to be available with 'Job 2' production- hopefully sometime in December or January. It's always possible there will be further delays as launch gets closer but that's the best information we have right now.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 AM
How much I like the ecoboost, I would have to go 6.2L

"There is no replacement for displacement" still holds true. Sure slap boost on a smaller cubed engine will make better gas mileage and the same power as a n/a bigger cubed engine. What happens though when someone slaps boost on to the 6.2L?

Personally a boosted 6.2L cranking out 800+rwhp sounds very sexy to me.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Andy's timeline of obsolete quotes:

'There is no replacement for displacement'

'Fuel injection is unreliable, carburetors are the only way to go'

'Automatic shifting transmissions can't be trusted, manual transmissions are here to stay'

'The horse will never be replaced by the motorized carriage'

'The world is FLAT, Christopher.'

'Unga Unga, walking upright for losers. Bent over knuckle dragging is way to walk'

'Bananas are for losers Adam, try this apple!'

Ok, that was more for MY amusement... :-)

IowaAndy

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
Andy's timeline of obsolete quotes:

'There is no replacement for displacement'

'Fuel injection is unreliable, carburetors are the only way to go'

'Automatic shifting transmissions can't be trusted, manual transmissions are here to stay'

'The horse will never be replaced by the motorized carriage'

'The world is FLAT, Christopher.'

'Unga Unga, walking upright for losers. Bent over knuckle dragging is way to walk'

'Bananas are for losers Adam, try this apple!'

Ok, that was more for MY amusement... :-)

IowaAndy

Not bad!

Ya forgot one:

"Nemo, walking is risky, hard work and overrated. Stay in the water."

MGD

Old 11-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
How much I like the ecoboost, I would have to go 6.2L

"There is no replacement for displacement" still holds true. Sure slap boost on a smaller cubed engine will make better gas mileage and the same power as a n/a bigger cubed engine. What happens though when someone slaps boost on to the 6.2L?

Personally a boosted 6.2L cranking out 800+rwhp sounds very sexy to me.
LMAO - 99% of the trucks on the road will never see an aftermarket power adder. If that's how we want to compare the engines, then all bets are off.

In stock form, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that I would choose the 6.2 over the EB.

Funny thing is, when I first heard rumors of the 6.2L, I was foaming at the mouth. I couldn't wait to buy one. Then the EB came along and I find myself repulsed by the 6.2L. Go figure.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm looking for the same advise. I love my 5.4 (2000, with 225,000 miles). Which engine do I order in a 2011? I'm confused and the Ford salesman don't have a clue.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Why don't you wait till they have actually been on the street for a while? You guys are all foaming at the mouth over trucks that haven't even been BUILT yet!

Quick Reply: 6.2 or Eco Boost, Which one