2009 - 2014 F-150

Programming Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programming Remote Starter

I had the 200 Series (6 button key fob) dealer installed when I purchased my 2010 FX4 and need help programming the rear defroster option noted on page #4 of the remote start owners' manual. It basically says to start the rear defroster via the remote start press the button with the key symbol.
I tried and it didn't turn the defroster on, so then I looked up the Ford Programming Chart on the accessory website and it shows this feature is defaulted "OFF".

I read the programming instructions several times but am concerned that I'll mess up the order of things and screwing up the remote start. I really do not want to go back to the dealer. I don't trust the service dept. at my dealer (thats' another story) so I would really like to get this done on my own (with the help of you guys of course).

Also, the key fob has a "1" button that is suppose to turn on the headlights for 20 seconds but this too does not activate them however in the programming manual it indicates that this feature is defaulted "ON". So I would like to activate this feature as well.

One other thing, there is an aux button "2" can this be programmed to start the heated seats?

Can someone walk me through the programming to activate the rear defroster and headlights. I will not be offended if you explain it like I'm 10 years old.

thx.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I already explained to you in your message post last month that the heated seats won't work with the Ford remote starters...

as far as programming, you can also try to follow this file instead:
http://documents.codesystems.com/710617.pdf

That program file on the Ford accessory site is bogus because it doesn't even list the Mykey option setting for "shutdown on door open or if key is inserted".

my guess is that they didn't even hook up the rear defrost or the headlight wire to your system, they typically don't for some reason and like to charge extra for that. The option setting for the rear defrost is not to turn it off or on, it's to just change the type of pulse/signal the brain unit sends to the rear defroster. The "off" setting sends a 0.5 second pulse to the defroster and then I assume the factory relay takes over from there and allows the defroster to run for whatever preset time. The "on" setting turns the defroster on for 10 minutes (I assume this might be on older Fords or whatever models that do not have a preset time limit already built into the factory wiring/relays.)

Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Steve,
I don't know where my head is at these days, you are right we went over the remote start heated seat inquiry a while back. Man I'm sorry for beating on that dead horse that I forgot was dead...lol...

The instructions on the link you posted appear to be the same as what I found on the Ford Accessory site just written in a different format. I'm gonna give this a shot on the weekend, I really don't want to go to my dealer service dept.

Can I trouble you to explain what the Secrilock Interface Programming and Remote Start is or does?

Last edited by Formula jg; 11-19-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 PM
The Securlock interface is also known as the PATS bypass kit. It's a module with an antenna ring that goes around the ignition on your steering column. you program it with your 2 master keys and it simulates that a key is there in order for the remote start to work. You don't to worry about messing with that, they already did that for you.

If you want the rear defrost and the headlights (press button 1) to work, I'd just take it back to the dealer and make them hook it up for you. Tell them that your owner's manual says these functions should work. It's a matter of them just connecting 2 wires for you.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks very much for the Securlock explanation Steve.

I spent all morning trying to program the rear defrost and headlights but neither of them would activate. The chirps and LED on/off all followed the instruction description but it was no go each time I tested them with the remote.

I had to do the reprogramming with the driver door open and the key in the ignition and turned forward (engine not running) is this what they mean by "key on/run position or should the engine be running during the whole procedure?

One more thing I wasn't sure about is how to end the programming. I just removed the key, closed the door and pressed the start button on the remote. After it started pressed the #1 button to test the headlights on or the key button for the rear defroster...nothing happened for each of those actions.

I can't wait hear what BS the dealer is going to give me.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Update,
I spoke to the service manager at my dealership and he had to check with the installer to find out about the rear defroster and head light function on the remote.

Basically they are telling me that these features were able to function on the older trucks but can not on the newer trucks because they are wired in a way that must go through the trucks computer and there is no way to "interface" the remote for these options to work with the computer.

I told him it was writen in the remote starter Owner's Manual that I was given when I picked up the truck. He said it's an outdated version.

I didn't have enough knowledge to debate this with him so I'm looking to this forum to telling me if the dealer's claim has any merit?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Formula jg
Afternoon to ya!, check your email please. I sent a 3 part msg with instructions that may be more in depth then the manual that came with the remote start. hope it helps and let me know how it goes. Later from the sand pile.

Trending Topics

Old 11-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Called 1-800-FORD-KEY and they confirmed that you can not activate the rear defroster with the remote fob on 2010 models. They did said however, that the head lights can be activated via the fob.

So I called my dealer back, let him know that I spoke to FORD KEY, and asked him to program the headlights. After checking with their installer he calls back and says it's a $75.00 charge and no guarantee that the installer can get this to work properly.

Again the dealer leaves me speachless.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:18 PM
your dealer was partially right about the interface stuff - that's why I told you the heated seats couldn't be hooked up. But apparantly Compustar has an interface module out now that allows the heated seats to be activated with their systems.

$75 is total BS, it's a simple one wire hookup that should/could have been hooked up when the installer was splicing all the other wires. If you go here: http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/techSpecs.do then find the installation instructions for electronics - "remote start/vehicle security system - truck" Then find the 2010 truck file and you'll see the F150 wiring diagram. The C-10 wire from the system is hooked up to the headlight wire. So if the installer was following the factory install instructions, that wire should have been hooked up to begin with. So they should not charge you any extra for that, print out the diagram and show them.

The rear defrost could be hooked up to if you want. I don't have rear defrost but I have the heated side mirrors and it's the same wire. We tested it and it does work with my system. The wire can be found behind the HVAC module in the center of the dash. It's a white/orange wire and it can be found in a gray 26-pin plug, pin #25 on trucks without navigation (if you have navigation, it's a black 26-pin plug, pin #12). This wire would be connected to the C-11 wire of the rmst system.

A reference chart showing C-10 and C-11 of your system can be found on page 34 of this file: http://documents.codesystems.com/701138.pdf

Chances are your installer didn't even use this C harness.

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 11-24-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, the C-10 wire (red/white) from the remote harness is connected to the green/brown wire on the truck's multi-function switch pin #4. It says "Flash-to-Pass, what does that mean?

I see the C-11 on the link you provided however if go back into your Ford Accessories link above and select the 5th document name:

" Security & Remote Start (2010 Model Year Vehicles) -- Truck"

Then scroll down to the F150 section you'll see that there is no C-11 wire shown in any of the diagrams.

How easy/difficult would it be for me to access these harnesses to see for myself and while I'm there just make the connection (if the C-11 is there)?

Thaks so much for your patience with this.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 PM
flash to pass is when you pull back on the turn signal stalk and your high beams light up as long as you hold the stalk back. I'm not sure why that file tells you to tap into that wire. You would think it should just tap into the regular low beam headlight wire?

yeah, the new 09/10 files don't show the C11 wire, but the old 05-08 F150 diagram did for rear defrost hookup. Even though the FORDKEY tech line guy told you can't hook it up, I know you can.

My installer gave me Viper wiring diagram that lists the defrost wire like I indicated above. In the Viper diagram, it says the headlight wire is a blue/white wire at the headlight switch.

You would have to check the brain unit of the system under the driver's side dash and see if all 3 wiring harness are plugged into it. If the third C-harness is there, you can try to connect the C10 and C11 wires yourself if you want.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 AM
So for Headlight key fob activation the following hook up would be required:

C-10 (red/wht) wire from remote module wire harness is connected to the factory headlight switch wire (blue/wht).

For Rear Defroster key fob activation the following hook up would be required:

C-11 (blue/wht) wire from remote module wire harness is connected to the factory defroster wire (wht/org) located in a gray 26-pin plug, pin #25 on trucks w/o nav.

Just so I don't get mixed up when checking for the brain unit of the remote starter system, what shape, size, colour, etc.... is it?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:39 AM
yeah those would be the wires I would try to splice into.

The brain unit is black is about 4x5 inches and 1inch thick. the reference chart of all the wires should be on a sticker on the back of the brain unit. The brain unit and all related parts is shown in the reference file I linked before: http://documents.codesystems.com/701138.pdf

Old 11-25-2010, 10:07 AM
OK, now all I need is a place to do this in from the chilly outdoors.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I went out at lunch and found the brain unit (it's no small potatoe) stuffed under the driver dash. There is no "Extended Function Harness" , why would the installer not have put it in?

Quick Reply: Programming Remote Starter