2009 - 2014 F-150

Help! Leveling question....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Leveling question....

so, i put on a 2" leveling spacer on my 2009 stx singlecab 2wd this weekend. Its all installed, but my upper controll arm barley has any room between it at the coil spring.... is that normal??? i hit a couple bumps out on the pasture hunting afterwards and it sounded like they hit with the extension after the bump... is this the risk with the leveling kit?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM
bump?!?!?!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Hopefully this will help shed some light on your problem. Here is an email chain that I was going back and forth with Kevin @ Auto Spring to make sure I dont run into the coil bumping issue on the 2wd F150's.. Pay close attention to his last reply about the F150 strut assembly.

Kevin,
Do you make a 3" leveling kit for a 2010 F150? I have a 2010 FX2/2wd and want to fit 35's on it.. My last truck was a FX4/4wd and i had an AutoSpring 2.5" leveling kit and fit 35's no problem but i know the 2wd will be lower from the factory but it looks like the 2010 F150 has more room in the wheel well compared to my old 2005. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, DJ

DJ,
The biggest kit we typically make for the 2009-2010 is a 2-1/2 inch kit. That is because the 2009-2010 F-150's are 1/2 inch higher in the front from the factory than the 2004-2008 models. On a 4wd I would definately not go any laller than a 2-1/2 inch kit because of the CV joint angles. However, a 2wd could handle a 3 inch kit. I know for a fact that you will have to raise the rear on your F-150 if go with anything taller than 2 inches on the front. I can fabricate a 3 inch kit for the front, no problem if that is what your truly want.I know you will clear 35's on your 2010 with our 2 inch or 2-1/2 inch kit installed(as long as the tires are not wider than 10-1/2 inches)Cost on a 3 inch kit would be the same!!--Regards--Kevin

Ok Kevin, I plan on putting the 325/50/22 (35x12) that were on my 05 F150 on the new F150 and would like to get by with the 2.5" leveling kit but i dont want it to rub.. I had a 2.5" AS Leveling kit on my old FX4 and the tires rubbed very slightly on the fender flare when driving in reverse with the steering wheel at full lock, Basically when I backed into my driveway. Do you think the 2.5" kit will work on the new FX2 without any rubbing? If not, Will the 3" work and if so do you think there will be excessive wear on my ball joints? Sorry for a million questions, No one on my F150 forum has a FX2 and trying to fit 325/50/22's But i will definitely share this info on there! Thanks for the help.

DJ, I recommend our 3 inch kit for your F-150 2wd. The 3 inch kit does not put any more stress on ball joints than the 2-1/2 inch kit--The biggest stress maker on ball joints and tie rods is the 35's. But you probably already knew that!!If you want a 3 inch front kit just order a 2-1/2 inch 2009-2010 kit andsend me an e-mail asking for a 3 inch kit and thats what we will fabricate and ship you. You can also call me tomorrow at 1-800-345-0431 and order direct. We accept Visa,Mastercard or Discover credit/debit cards or I can invoice you thru Paypal if you prefer--Regards--Kevin

Thanks for all the info Kevin. Im almost positive I will go with the 3", But can you check out this thread on F150Online.com where a member (TJALOHA) added FX4 shocks + a 2" leveling kit and is having issues. I just want to make sure the 3" level wont have the same results. Again, Thanks for all the help
https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...t-install.html"]

DJ, His first problem was going with a Pro Comp kit. Pro Comp does not engineer any offset into the kit. We designed our kits with 1/4 inch of offset to help reduce the UCA to coil touch issue at full upward deflection. On some F-150's, even bone stock with NO leveling kit installed they experience the USA to coil problem. I and our local dealership found that replacing the strut assemblies cured the problem. Ford purchases strut assemblies from numerous vendors. Consequently the vendors dont machine the internal strut shaft to the same exact length. This variation in length allows the front to over-extend during full upward deflection(tires off the ground). We have found up to a 3/4 variation in strut shaft lengths. These trucks that come with the longer strut shafts will experience UCA/coil touch even with an offset. The clunk that is heard on these select few trucks when going over speed bumps is annoying at best. It takes the paint off the coil spring but does not damage the coil or UCA. You likely wont experience this but I can't completely rule it out. I would recommend raising the front end so the suspension reaches full off-load and see if the UCA is touching the coil in the stock ,non-leveling kit configuration. If it is no amount of offset will alleviate the problem. Only different strut assemblies will!!If it touches take it back to your dealer and have them warranty it and replace them!!Regards--Kevin

Great and detailed info Kevin.. I will try lifting the front end with a jack to see if I have that issue. If I do then I will get them replaced under warranty, Hopefully I dont and I will pick up the 3" kit from you. What size rear block do you think I will need for the rear? Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by BLACKOUT FX4; 12-01-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
okay, thanks a ton!!! I guess what happened was, i bought a used 2" that came off a Kingranch 4x4, well he didnt want the struts so he just gave me the shock/strut assembly with the spacer on it. when i took my stock assembly off.... i held the two sets side by side, and the heigth was the same, minus the 2" spacer... so is it the spring that is just stoughter that holds up that extra inch or what? that has be my issue, i cant figure out, because measured up side by side they were the same.... i have maybe 1"-1.5" between the UCA and the spring...

Old 12-01-2010, 02:02 PM
The King Ranch 4x4 assembly should be 1" taller than the 2wd assembly, I would take it apart again and put your 2wd assembly on and see how that works out. Are the coils on both assemblies the same width as one another?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 AM
ugg... welp i guess im going to have to take it all apart and re-do it. The klunk noise is just too much. every bump i hit, i feel like something is going to break the next time. ha... BLACKOUT<--- i noticed on one of your threads you mentioned new UCA's, how did those work for ya?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 AM
off topic but damn blackout your truck is prob the best lookin 09,10 on here. those proportions and stance are nice. good work

Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 PM
yeah, BLACKOUT's truck is slick! I love the Black on White-----
Question for BLACKOUT---> what size rear blocks or add-a-leafs did you use?

Quick Reply: Help! Leveling question....