2009 - 2014 F-150

Accessory Help Please (bed liner, tonneau & nerf bars)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessory Help Please (bed liner, tonneau & nerf bars)

Well I finally pulled the trigger. My baby ['98 XLT Supercab] has now been replaced after 13 years and 185.2k miles. I sold her for $3k with some work to be done (I didn't want to do it and with a second baby on the way needed a bigger backseat) and replaced her with a 2010 Lariat Super Crew 6.5' bed!!!!!

Well it's time to dress her up. I ordered today an Extang Trifecta Tonneau, BedRug and currently researching some steps so my pregnant wife can get in. I chose the Extang because they have great customer service and replaced my old tonneau for free under warranty, then when I poked a hole in it they sold me a new cover at a big discount to replace it so I'm being a loyal satisfied customer. The only thing I didn't like about it were the snaps a real pain in cold weather so I wanted to avoid it this time. I'm trying to get everything for just about $1k.

I decided against the solid folding Extang because I read about leaking issues.

For the bed liner I ordered a BedRug. I plan on keeping this truck for at least 7 years so I wanted something a little nice but didn't want to spend the money on a Line-X. Around here the price was $600 before tax!!!! I mostly use it for luggage, hunting equipment, home projects and the twice a year mulch trip. Since 90% of the time it will be used with family stuff I thought it was a good choice. I didn't want a drop-in liner this time so it was between the bed rug and DualLiner.

Now for the nerf bars I'm not sure what to do. The Raptor 5" look nice and seems like the rust won't be an issue with the stainless steel. So I ask my fellow F150 owners what is your opinion/experience with my:

1. Choice of tonneau cover?
2. Choice of bed liner (bed rug or dualliner)?
3. What to do for steps?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM
BEDRUG - excellent choice in my somewhat biased opinion
Extang tonneau cover - I too am a loyal Extang customer from the way their customer service rep treated me in the past. This is my 4th Extang cover.
Steps - Mine came with the chrome step bar, but I like the nerf bars I've seen on some of the trucks in this forum.

Good luck with the new ride and welcome to the forums.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 PM
If you can swing it, get OEM Bars. I went to my salesman and he gave them to me at dealer cost witch turned out to be about the same as Tasca's price but shipping from Tasca was pretty high so it worked out in the end and I like the bars better than aftermarket.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Had Extang covers(2), had some tri fold (lund?), bought a Truxedo Lo Pro QT for my 2010 and it is by far (IMO) the best looking tonneau I have bought (also the most expensive). Time will tell on the durability, but my truck is garage kept and I baby everything. My extangs were great though, still have the extang on my 99 gets the job done, but a PITA with the snaps.

Never had a BEDRUG, had drop-in liners in my other 3 trucks, and pulled the trigger on a Line-X. I got the bed and rear-wheel wells coated $598 in Evansville, IN. The bed was only 407 before tax, so like 440. OP - Where do you live? 600?!?!? Ouch. Line-X is pretty sweet though I am a fan now...

Steps, I think the OEM ones may be the best bet. Lariat without OEM steps? Is it 2wd?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by 99and04f150
Never had a BEDRUG, had drop-in liners in my other 3 trucks, and pulled the trigger on a Line-X. I got the bed and rear-wheel wells coated $598 in Evansville, IN. The bed was only 407 before tax, so like 440. OP - Where do you live? 600?!?!? Ouch. Line-X is pretty sweet though I am a fan now...

Steps, I think the OEM ones may be the best bet. Lariat without OEM steps? Is it 2wd?
I live on Long Island, were everyone likes to mark everything up. For example I got a quote of a BegRug local for almost $100 more than I could get it from ANY online retailer with free shipping. There is only one Line-X Dealer on Long Island oh I forgot to add that the $600 fee was supposedly a Holiday Special where they were selling at dealer cost.

I really shouldn't say marking everything up b/c the cost of living here is very expensive. Property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes etc through the roof. Everyone needs to pay their mortgages and if they can get the business more power to them!!!

That being said I had to drive 2 hours to pick up my new truck as every dealership I spoke to here wanted to include some nice fees on top of my X-Plan price which they aren't allowed to do. I can't stand these car salesmen I mean do they really think I will fall for their BS. After about 20 minutes they should get the point that they can either get a tick on the board and move a unit in 15 minutes so they can get on to someone who isn't a good negotiator or informed consumer or waste 4 hours trying to backdoor fees on me so that I walk out and they let 4 other fish go by!!!

The truck is a 4x4 but without the running boards. I like it like that but the wife needs them, plus I think it will save the leather in the long run with my fat a$$!!!

Enough of my rambling!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by sandking
For the bed liner I ordered a BedRug. I plan on keeping this truck for at least 7 years so I wanted something a little nice but didn't want to spend the money on a Line-X. Around here the price was $600 before tax!!!! I mostly use it for luggage, hunting equipment, home projects and the twice a year mulch trip. Since 90% of the time it will be used with family stuff I thought it was a good choice. I didn't want a drop-in liner this time so it was between the bed rug and DualLiner.
$600+ is steep for a BedRug. I ordered the BedRug Mat with the tailgate piece for $150. It's basically the floor piece and tail gate piece. Like you, most of my hauling is bicycles, large boxes, etc. I don't see the need to protect the sides -- which is what the full BedRug offers.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM
STRONG ISLAND. That explains it. I am from MD and was relocated to central IL for work, the exchange rate is great hahahaha! And the people are a hell of a lot nicer. I guess they make them without running boards, hmmm? Never noticed it really. I'm 6'4" and use mine just because I don't want to kill that seat.

East Coast = Egregiously Over Priced. My friends make fun of me for moving to Bum*******, but I am the one laughing at them in a new truck and a mortgage thats 1/2 of theirs....

NFAB makes sweet step bars, I am a big fan of them.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 PM
nfab nerf bars look sharp.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by propellerhead
$600+ is steep for a BedRug. I ordered the BedRug Mat with the tailgate piece for $150. It's basically the floor piece and tail gate piece. Like you, most of my hauling is bicycles, large boxes, etc. I don't see the need to protect the sides -- which is what the full BedRug offers.
I agree... $600 is steep. If you really need the full bed protection, order one online and install it yourself. It's easy.

Like propeller, I didn't feel I needed the bed side protection on this truck so I went with a rubber mat and a poly tailgate protector. Total of both items... $98. The T/gate protector allows me to slide stuff into the bed area and the rubber mat keeps them from sliding around. And the mat is easy to rinse off if needed.

I just purchased the Extang Trifold and love it so far. Easy on, easy off. A quality product. Found it online for $199.

Can't offer any advice on the step bars... sorry... mine came with the the chrome package.

Last edited by 5picker; 12-07-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by propellerhead
$600+ was for Line-X. I was able to get the BedRug for $407 w/ free shipping. I really wanted the BedTred but they don't make it yet for a F150 with the tailgate step.

Last edited by sandking; 12-07-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Bed Rug is a nice liner but it does accumulate moisture underneath the rug. Bed Rug also has a new hard liner that looks to be very interesting.

Extang Black Max is a nice soft tonneau cover that has a 10 year warranty. The one on my '07 STX fits perfectly and I think it looks better than the Ford version soft Tonneau.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Bed Rug is a nice liner but it does accumulate moisture underneath the rug. Bed Rug also has a new hard liner that looks to be very interesting.

Extang Black Max is a nice soft tonneau cover that has a 10 year warranty. The one on my '07 STX fits perfectly and I think it looks better than the Ford version soft Tonneau.
In terms of moisture under the BedRug, do I have to worry about that with the tonneau cover? My last Extang kept everything dry so I'm hoping this one does too.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that the Extang tonneau is the way to go.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
moisture?

It really depends on how much rain you receive in your area. They are not difficult to remove at all. Just check under it once a year (spring time) or so to see if there is any moisture being trapped beneath the Bed Rug.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
I've had a BedRug before but it was in a truck that was always garaged and had a tonneau over it. If I was going to park my next truck outside (without a tonneau), should I avoid a Bedrug and get a conventional liner instead? I'm worried the Bedrug will get wet in the rain and take days to dry off (either trapping moisture below or getting a funky smell LOL).

Quick Reply: Accessory Help Please (bed liner, tonneau & nerf bars)