2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Trade-In Value

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
How do you expect to get a dealer to give you anything near what they would sell the vehicle for? They have to make money or they wouldn't be able to stay in business. I think an offer of 30k for a 2010 is actually quite generous, especially considering they probably have several brand new 2010's on the lot that they NEED to sell, and are priced pretty close to 30k.
Yeah, it is pretty much a lose/lose situation for the buyer. For a 2010, espcially the higher trim F150s you would lose so much $$$ on a trade in just for the mere fact that a lot of dealerships are almost giving away their remaining '10's at this point. So they ain't gonna give you ***** for your used '10 even if it is a Lariat in pristine condition. They just really have no incentive to put an "old school engine" back on their lot so soon. You could probably get more selling it back to them in 2012-2013 once the EcoBoost hype dies down some.

Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
Wow, thanks everybody for the fast and detailed responses! Very helpful!

dre23 and glc, thanks guys, that's exactly what I figured. But you can't blame a guy for wondering
No problem TidalWave. Glad to help out in a little way. And yeah, I bought my 2010 in September so she's pretty much brand new IMO, and even I have let the random thought of "Hmmm, I wonder how much it would cost me to get into a 2011?" but I'd prefer to not have to default on my home loan!

Old 12-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
It you actually paid $46,000 for the Lariat, I can understand your situation of not understanding the dealer's trade offer at this time.
I understand that completely...it was just general bitching about the fact.

I worked at a car dealership while I was in highschool and saw how they raped people on trade-in values on a daily basis. I also saw daily the deceit that the salesmen spewed to up their profit margins.

I got the run around on my last truck also..."diesels don't sell well", "nobody will buy a modified truck", "I will only be able to list it for 15k, so the most I can give you is 10k". I ended up trading the truck in for $19,000...which was still below the actual value... It sold off of their lot in less than a week for $27,000.

On my current one, I did pay quite a bit less than sticker. I took the $2500 rebate, and got the X plan pricing which knocked of another $5000. Not counting my trade in values, I paid $7500 below sticker....not the best deal that I have read about , but not the worst (I did buy my '10 when they first started hitting the lots, I could have gotten a better deal on an '09, but didn't want one). I understand that they can't sell a used truck for the same price that you can buy a new one, but a trade in value that is 20k below the sticker price is a joke no matter which way you look at it...especially for one they could have pulled onto the used lot without so much as running a vacuum through it. But that is the way the game works...I know it well, but I will still complain about it...lol.

Last edited by Langford; 12-11-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I stop in at dealer talked a few numbers said they could do 20 for my stx, I laughed and went home

Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Smile My account has been fully satisfied.

I just got my Title for my fully loaded 2009 Platinum 4x4 in the mail yesterday. What a sweet feeling that was. No more payments, she's all mine!

46k seems highly inflated for a Lariat. I got my truck (above), which stickered at 52k, out the door for 40k even back in March 2009.

racer114, what two vehicles did you get instead of the F-150? Just curious, as I'll be gettin' rid of this mpg beast within the 3-5 months as well. Most likely a fully loaded MKZ Hybrid. If I remember this thread, I'll post here what they give me on trade for it. KBB shows it at 30-31k value.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
I just got my Title for my fully loaded 2009 Platinum 4x4 in the mail yesterday. What a sweet feeling that was. No more payments, she's all mine!

46k seems highly inflated for a Lariat. I got my truck (above), which stickered at 52k, out the door for 40k even back in March 2009.

racer114, what two vehicles did you get instead of the F-150? Just curious, as I'll be gettin' rid of this mpg beast within the 3-5 months as well. Most likely a fully loaded MKZ Hybrid. If I remember this thread, I'll post here what they give me on trade for it. KBB shows it at 30-31k value.
46k seems high for the sticker price on a loaded Lariat? I never said I paid 46k, that is just what the window sticker read. Next time you are at the dealership, go look at some window stickers...you can probably equip a XLT to the mid 40's.

And how the heck did you get 52k truck out the door for 40k? The dealer just decided they would sell one for under their invoice price? Or are you considering trade-in value also? If that's the case, I only paid 27k for my truck.

Last edited by Langford; 12-11-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 PM
I would be interested in an 11 or 12 with the Ecoboost but will have to keep my 2010 with the 5.4 for now.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Langford
46k seems high for the sticker price on a loaded Lariat? I never said I paid 46k, that is just what the window sticker read. Next time you are at the dealership, go look at some window stickers...you can probably equip a XLT to the mid 40's.

And how the heck did you get 52k truck out the door for 40k? The dealer just decided they would sell one for under their invoice price? Or are you considering trade-in value also? If that's the case, I only paid 27k for my truck.
No idea why they sold it to me at that price, they just did. I ordered mine, as I always do. It came in, and I picked her up on the 31st of March, 2009. She stickered at 52k, I think I still have the window sticker somewhere. They sold her to me at 40k, and gave me 10k for my '04 Lariat Screw 4x4. I financed the remaining 30k balance. So the 40k they sold her to me was not including my trade. She's a 2009 Platinum 4x4 Screw in White Sand Tri-Coat with all the goodies.

If that is some amazing deal, then it makes me feel pretty good. But at the time it didn't seem any different than a lot of others on here were getting their Platinums for. 10k off, 12k off, seemed the norm. Perhaps that has changed since I bought my truck, no idea about that. You can probably look up the old posts from back then, you'll see some from me along with lots of others getting the same deals. Maybe they are less willing to deal today than they were back then, again I've no idea why but that's the deal I got on mine with every single option possible except the trailer brake controller which I didn't want. That includes the dealer installed 6-button remote start, splash guards and bedliner as well.

Now I feel like I got some amazing $aving$. Makes me feel good now, even though at the time I purchased it seemed like everyone was getting the same deal.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm glad to see you were just talking sticker for yours, not actual buy price. From your original post and a comment someone else left about it, it sounded like that was what you paid. My bad for assuming that's what was meant. Just like mine, they always sticker for way more than anyone actually pays. But if 40 for a Plat is an oddity, I've no idea why they did what they did. My paperwork is all right here in front of me just because I'm putting it all together with my paid-off receipt and Title that I just got in the mail. 40k is all I paid for her.

Last edited by CometFlash; 12-11-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: sticker vs actual purchase price misunderstanding.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:50 AM
They lowballed his trade-in at $10k. Then they probably turned around and sold it for double. An "amazing" deal becomes an average deal when you consider the lower trade-in amount. It's all a numbers game.

Originally Posted by CometFlash
No idea why they sold it to me at that price, they just did. I ordered mine, as I always do. It came in, and I picked her up on the 31st of March, 2009. She stickered at 52k, I think I still have the window sticker somewhere. They sold her to me at 40k, and gave me 10k for my '04 Lariat Screw 4x4. I financed the remaining 30k balance. So the 40k they sold her to me was not including my trade. She's a 2009 Platinum 4x4 Screw in White Sand Tri-Coat with all the goodies.

If that is some amazing deal, then it makes me feel pretty good. But at the time it didn't seem any different than a lot of others on here were getting their Platinums for. 10k off, 12k off, seemed the norm. Perhaps that has changed since I bought my truck, no idea about that. You can probably look up the old posts from back then, you'll see some from me along with lots of others getting the same deals. Maybe they are less willing to deal today than they were back then, again I've no idea why but that's the deal I got on mine with every single option possible except the trailer brake controller which I didn't want. That includes the dealer installed 6-button remote start, splash guards and bedliner as well.

Now I feel like I got some amazing $aving$. Makes me feel good now, even though at the time I purchased it seemed like everyone was getting the same deal.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm glad to see you were just talking sticker for yours, not actual buy price. From your original post and a comment someone else left about it, it sounded like that was what you paid. My bad for assuming that's what was meant. Just like mine, they always sticker for way more than anyone actually pays. But if 40 for a Plat is an oddity, I've no idea why they did what they did. My paperwork is all right here in front of me just because I'm putting it all together with my paid-off receipt and Title that I just got in the mail. 40k is all I paid for her.

Last edited by bluegreenf150; 12-12-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:28 AM
how do you figure a $500 loss? you paid 30k out the door for a 2010 Lariat? I think what you mean is it is $500 less that what you still owed.... but more like a $4000 loss in reality

I didn't owe anything, as I paid cash for the Lariat. I paid $30K, plus $250 in tax (only taxed on trade difference of Lariat and 2010 XLT I traded) and about $150 in tags, title, etc. when I bought the Lariat in January. So I was out a few hundred more on the tax, no big deal. I didn't pay any tax on the new vehicles I purchased, as my trade covered both and we are only taxed on trade differences here in Texas.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 AM
And like others have responded, they are selling new 2010s for nothing right now so any trade would have to compete with that. The truck I traded for $29,500 is on the lot i traded it at listed for $32K. But, they won't get that because one can go across the street and buy a new Lariat for that price. They are selling for $12-14K off sticker right now.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To add fuel to this fire, I ordered my 2009 Platinum 4x4 with every single option possible minus the max trailer tow in Jan '09 and took delivery April 29, 2009. Sticker was $49,800 and I paid $38,400 for it. After TT&L and the 7 year/100,000 mile top of the line warranty, my OTD price was $43k. Put 20k down in cash and financed the rest....

Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM
At the time I traded, KBB listed my '04 at 10k, so I felt as if I was getting just what it was worth, which was fine with me. I was concerned they'd try to give me less, but it worked out fine.

I know since then, the trade values have gone up. There's an older post somewhere where a gentleman posted how much he thought he could get in trade for his older 150, think it was like a 2005 or something. Anyways, the trade value he said the dealer told him was way higher than what I got, and his was just like an XLT or something. So I went on KBB and did it all up, and lo & behold he was correct - trade prices had gone UP for the older years! I couldn't believe it, had to retract my reply to his post and apologize.

But back then, 10k was exactly what KBB showed mine was worth. Glad to be rid of it too, that engine whine was driving me to insanity.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:23 PM
The prices went up some, but I'm not buying that it was only worth $10k. A 5 year old Lariat today is listed at $17.8k now trade-in, $21.1k private party, and $23.6k retail. No way the value of your ride went up over 100% since then. Even if was $10k. for trade in (highly suspect unless it was in poor condition with very high miles) the dealer would have to be able to make money on it. Your deal makes no sense to anyone if you think it was only only worth $10k. They listed that truck for double after you gave it away for $10k. They are not going to sell the new truck to you for less than invoice and then give you "exactly what the old truck is worth." They give you $10k. Then put it up for sale at $20K+.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 PM
All I can say is that I wasn't at all upset about what they offered me, as the KBB dealer trade value for a used 2004 Lariat Screw 4x4 with all the options in Good condition with 55k miles on it was worth that amount. And that's what they offered me, so I never even tried to bargain with them on it, as it fit right in with what KBB said (I had checked a few other sites like Edmunds and stuff too and they all had the same basic trade value as well so everything jived well at the time).

I found the link to the old post where I had to apologize for being so wrong in my reply. Felt like an idiot because the trade prices had increased dramatically since I had traded mine in. Man, that sucked. https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ml#post4253618

Old 12-12-2010, 05:19 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you have a 2010 that you absolutely must get rid of, try selling it to Carmax.

Quick Reply: 2010 Trade-In Value