2009 - 2014 F-150

V6 EB vs V8 Ram vs V8 Chevy towing uphill

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dre23
I know that it wouldn't get the mpg, but it would be awesome to see a V8EcoBoost!
You mean the Bobcat?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/06...el-engine.html

Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Oh yes...lets praise the Dodge. Lets praise the power of the 5.7L Hemi with it's 3.92 gears. Its going up against a 3.5L V6 (turbo charged, but still). Even if the Dodge was catching up in the end. What Ford has done with this Ecoboost In My Opinion, is amazing. The 5.0 is supposed to be almost just as quick and peppy as the Ecoboost, right? What if Ford would have come out with a 5.7 to put up against these Hemi's? Man, that would be a great match up. What if Ford would have went even bigger for pure brute strength to just show out and prove something to all the other 1500 models out there. Man...what if...

Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva
Oh yes...lets praise the Dodge. Lets praise the power of the 5.7L Hemi with it's 3.92 gears. Its going up against a 3.5L V6 (turbo charged, but still). Even if the Dodge was catching up in the end. What Ford has done with this Ecoboost In My Opinion, is amazing. The 5.0 is supposed to be almost just as quick and peppy as the Ecoboost, right? What if Ford would have come out with a 5.7 to put up against these Hemi's? Man, that would be a great match up. What if Ford would have went even bigger for pure brute strength to just show out and prove something to all the other 1500 models out there. Man...what if...

Isn't that why Ford have a 6.2L V8...

By the way... 3.92 with 33'' tires is pretty much the same thing as 3.73 with 31.9'' tires...

Did Dodge really have a gearing advantage... I don't think so.

Yes the Ecoboost is fast off the line, but it seem to fall once it's up to speed, because the Ram did catch him on the 3.5 miles courses and would probably have pass him later on.

The Ram was 11.9 seconds behind at 60 mph, but was only 3.2 seconds behind after 3.5 miles.

But, hey, my next try will be a Ford 5.0 SC or the EB... MPG will decide for me.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by °°Pat°°
Yes the Ecoboost is fast off the line, but it seem to fall once it's up to speed, because the Ram did catch him on the 3.5 miles courses and would probably have pass him later on.

The Ram was 11.9 seconds behind at 60 mph, but was only 3.2 seconds behind after 3.5 miles.
I think you have that off a little bit. The Dodge is a slug off the line, the Hemi makes lots of power in the upper RPMs but it takes a while to get up there. Without seeing the numbers from time vs. distance for the entire trip we can not say the Ford was falling off, only the Dodge was gaining.

Given the extreme length of this run I would be willing to say the Ford would be much better in daily use. How many times have you ever held your foot to the carpet for 3.5 miles up a steep grade towing a heavy trailer? They were well above the posted speed limit in the test which is where most of us would stop. In this part of the run the Ford killed the other two; this is where all of us will be driving our trucks most of the time.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva
If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. "What if" doesn't matter, nor does giving the Ford 3.92's. Run what ya brung. I'm not taking anything away from the EB or 5.0, but let's give credit where it's due.

The new Ram is impressive, although it's probably hard to see through brand-loyal eyes.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM
I was poking fun. Yes Ford did come out with the 6.2 for that reason. 5.7 Hemi...yea right, no contest. It was gaining on the Ecoboost, yea, but after 3.5 miles, it was still behind....forget about it! I would, however, like to see our Blue Oval 6.2 up against the GM 6.2

Quick Reply: V6 EB vs V8 Ram vs V8 Chevy towing uphill