2009 - 2014 F-150

USB2 to Glove Box - Clean Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool USB2 to Glove Box - Clean Installation

Hey all. This is my first post, and it's going to be a mini write up/description of a version of the USB2 mod. Picked up a 2010 FX4 a couple weeks ago and have been lurking here for that time. I think it's appropriate I finally post something.

I'm sure most of you with (and without) SYNC are familiar with the USB2 mod. If not, it's here. (Thanks to F150Aggie for the initial write-up) I went ahead further and purchased a "USB Port Saver" from Monoprice and mounted it to the glove box. (Suggested by 10-Ford here) I don't have very many pics to offer since I didn't take any during the install process, but it's pretty simple really.

Parts needed:
1 x 3 ft. USB A Male to USB mini-B Male cable (Monoprice ID: 3896)
1 x USB A Female to USB A Female Coupler (Monoprice ID: 362)
1 x USB A Male to USB A Female "Port Saver" (Monoprice ID: 4811) *
2 x 4-40 x 1/4" machine screws (got mine from a local Ace Hardware)

* Make sure when ordering the 4811 from Monoprice to mention in the comments that you need the one with the brackets. Apparently they have some old stock of port savers without brackets and thats what I received initially. After contacting customer service, they sent me the one with brackets that was pictured free of charge.

Follow the instructions in the original USB2 write up to get the cable to the glove box area and connect it (your choice if you choose to leave it as "USB2" or swap them, but you'll need to trim the original USB SYNC connector if you do so).

I found the best spot to mount the port is on the back of the glove box on the very right side, centered vertically. This position provides an adequate amount of space to connect a USB cable and doesn't interfere with the HVAC box and the various harnesses. (I originally wanted to mount this inside the console, but I wasn't comfortable tearing everything apart to make it work. This was much easier. This way, the device isn't sliding all over the place in the console, either.)

Using a piece of clear plastic, I cut up a template of the port and holes using a Sharpie, a utility knife and a 3/32" drill bit. I took the template and taped it to the back of the glove box. I then use the same drill and utility knife to carefully cut the openings required. After cutting and some cleaning of excess material on the inside, I screwed in the port on the back side and connected the wires. Viola, it works.

After performing this mod, I have some suggestions for making this cleaner:
1.) Use a dremel. I don't have one. Drill and knife worked for me, but it was crude.
2.) Cut from the inside. It looks tricky, but it would make it cleaner as the plastic burrs would be on the outside where it isn't visible. Less trimming required.
3.) Make counter-sinks for the screws so they don't stick out as much.
4.) Bevel the edge around the USB port on the inside. It'll make it look nicer and make certain USB plugs easier to insert. (I had to trim some off of that white cable to make it go in all the way, but a cable from an iPod fit no problem.
5.) Use a 1ft USB-A-Male to USB-mini-b, a USB-A-Female to USB-A-Female coupler, and a 3ft USB-A-Male to USB-A-Female extension cable. It would cost a bit more, but the cables connected to the port would stick out less, so less stress on the port itself.

I know it's not much of a write-up, but I wanted to contribute something to the community.

Last edited by airforceixi; 12-14-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the writeup. So, your thoughts are that ~2' of cable is more than enough to get it to that location in the glove box?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by juneau76
Thanks for the writeup. So, your thoughts are that ~2' of cable is more than enough to get it to that location in the glove box?
Actually...no...haha. I was pretty tired of typing at the end of that post, I meant to say a 1ft and a 3ft. I don't think 2ft will be enough since the cable I used was 3ft and it fits pretty well with some slack.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Cool stuff AirForce! Nice addition to the original mod.

Quick Reply: USB2 to Glove Box - Clean Installation