2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 E-locker question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E-locker question

I know that the previous model FX4's had the e-locker. I also know that some on the board had worked to be able to engage in 2wd mode, but I don't think anyone has been successful. Now that Ford has made the locker available this year on other trim levels besides the FX4, does anyone know if the 2011 trucks are like previous models and the locker can only be engaged when the truck is in 4x4 or can it be locked in 2wd? I really like the idea of a locker in the rear, just looking for more info.

thanx

Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Here is what the Owner's Manual says:

Electronic locking differential (ELD) axle (if equipped)

This axle provides added traction on slippery and/or off-road surfaces, particularly when one wheel is on a poor traction surface. In normal driving conditions the rear axle function as a standard axle. The ELD may be locked or unlocked by the vehicle operator. Refer to Four-wheel drive (4WD) operation section in this chapter for further detail on ELD function and usage. When the axle is unlocked it will function like a standard rear axle. When the axle is locked it will not allow the rear wheels to rotate at different speeds when turning. The ELD axle is not recommended for use on good traction surfaces such as dry pavement. Doing so may result in abnormal driving behavior while cornering and excessive tire wear.

...blahblah...

Electronic locking differential (ELD) (if equipped)

The electronic locking differential (ELD) is a device housed in the rear axle which allows both rear wheels to turn at the same speed. The ELD can provide additional traction should the vehicle become stuck. The ELD is electronically activated by the driver and can be shifted on the fly. It is intended for use in mud, rocks, sand, or any off-road condition where maximum traction is needed. It is not intended for use on dry pavement.

The ELD is affected by the following conditions:
• The 4WD control must be in either 4H (4X4 high) or 4L (4X4 low) mode.
• The ELD will not engage if the vehicle speed is above 20 mph (30 km/h) in 4X4 high or 56 mph (90 km/h) in 4X4 low.
• In 4H (4X4 high), the ELD will disengage at speeds above 25 mph (40 km/h) and will automatically reengage at speeds below 20 mph (30 km/h).
• In 4L (4X4 low), the ELD will disengage at speeds above 62 mph (100 km/h) and will automatically reengage at speeds below 56 mph (90 km/h).

Old 12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
That was my basic understanding of how the 2009-2010's worked so looks like there's not any changes in the specs on the 11's.

Has anyone had success modifying to work in 2wd? Sorry if this has been answered recently, but I'm not on the site but every so often.

Quick Reply: 2011 E-locker question