2009 - 2014 F-150

Dash Lights Out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Lights Out!

while driving all the lights in my dashboard went out, first I thought of the normal functionality of the auto lights but I notice that all the outside lights (headlights, signals, tails) were still on I play a little with the switch off and on and all the outside lights work but the dasboard still out....
I checked the diming switch and they still out...
Fuse or fuses? all ok...
Any ideas? has anyone experience this? could be the auto switch itself?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:59 PM
What were the ambient lighting circumstances when this happened?
Under certain outside lighting conditions with the head lamps in auto mode, it's normal for the body lamps to function and not the dash lights.
There have been a few threads here about this.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by 5picker
What were the ambient lighting circumstances when this happened?
Under certain outside lighting conditions with the head lamps in auto mode, it's normal for the body lamps to function and not the dash lights.
There have been a few threads here about this.
outside its cloudy today, but what about if you skip the auto mode and you switch directly to on position arent they suppose to be on all the time?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Nope... even in manual mode the dash light still work off the dash sensor.
Read about it here.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Nope... even in manual mode the dash light still work off the dash sensor.
Read about it here.
Ok... I see is like the sensor tells you when you need the dashlights and when youre not... nothing to be concern about right?....Thanks 5picker

Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I would still check the fuses. Your owner's manual will identify which one or ones are for the dash lights.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I freaked out the first time I realized my dash lights were out, but if it isn't dark outside, the truck thinks it's smart and turns them off but leaves the headlights on.

For example, when you run your wipers, the lights come on automagically, I think that is when I noticed.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I would still check the fuses. Your owner's manual will identify which one or ones are for the dash lights.
Well, I guess if the OP believes they don't work at all he could check the fuses but I didn't read that into his post.

A more simple approach would be to just throw a ball cap or something over the sensor as was mentioned in the link I posted earlier and see if they come on.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I re-read the original post and he did check the fuses so I guess the question is 'do they work at all.'

Have you been able to check during night darkness... Do they come on?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 AM
I re-read the original post and he did check the fuses so I guess the question is 'do they work at all.'

Have you been able to check during night darkness... Do they come on?
after double checking all the fuses... they all ok by the way, I waited for the night fall I start it up and all the lights are on as usual so I believe that all the lights rely on the sensor, if you really want to see the lights on the dashboard just trow something on the sensor and there you have it.... Thanks again 5picker

Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM
I fixed that light problem this way: Take black electrical tape and cover the right hand half of the sencer on the dash. The head lights will work as before off the left hand half that is not covered and the dash lights will come on when the head lights are on......
It works for me!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by J T Ford
I fixed that light problem this way: Take black electrical tape and cover the right hand half of the sencer on the dash. The head lights will work as before off the left hand half that is not covered and the dash lights will come on when the head lights are on......
It works for me!
uhm... interesting, you mean the senser has a split sensing tip in it? I havent take a closer look at it, anyway I'll try to get use to it as it is right now if I dont I'll try your mod and see, Thanks.
I'm up any ideas you guys may have not only for this but for anything else that sound interesting, Keep it coming!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed that issue just as I was about to drive off the dealer lot last year in my (then) new 2010. Apparently the computer and I disagree on when it's dark enough to have instrument lighting. I kind of wish they'd left it so the dash lights came on when I turned on the outside lights. It's caught lots of folks though.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J T Ford
It works for me!
That is very interesting - thanks for sharing!

I have a little black bottle cap over my sensor for this - going to try the right half with tape like you suggest so it will only affect the dash lights.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Is this the right side from looking out the window or looking in?

Quick Reply: Dash Lights Out!