2009 - 2014 F-150

What are the little antennae looking things over the rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the little antennae looking things over the rear view mirror?

I just noticed on my 2010 there are 2 little things that look like antennaes above the rear view mirror, they are about 3 inches long and extend out each side of the mirror, one points towards the passenger side, the other towards the drivers side.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Remote start?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 AM
That is what the dealer told me when I asked him, it was for the remote start.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I do have the remote start. Must be what it is.
Maybe someone can chime in that doesn't have remote start and let us know if they have the antennae.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
It's remote start. Should be a little box in the middle with two antenna's sticking out the left/right sides. Maybe 6-8" in total length.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Are you sure it's not a tracking device installed by the government to monitor your driving habits?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by xciton
Wow, thats messed up for the kid!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Remote Start. My ford kit was installed after the truck was delivered and that is where thety put the antenna. It is exactly as you described.

John

Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Are you sure it's not a tracking device installed by the government to monitor your driving habits?
I'm taking it off Just in case.

Really though, just been reading about the remote start on a different site. Some people are reprograming it the 2010 so it won't kill the engine when you open the door.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had a remote start installed in my '10 and the dealer told me the shut off when door is opened feature is in place to protect you from future costs. Apparently, with the pats interface kit installed, and if you insert a different pats key in ignition with the truck still running it causes confusion and eventual failure of a computer system. I'm leaving mine alone. No big deal to get in and turn the key one more notch to restart.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
I just had a remote start installed in my '10 and the dealer told me the shut off when door is opened feature is in place to protect you from future costs. Apparently, with the pats interface kit installed, and if you insert a different pats key in ignition with the truck still running it causes confusion and eventual failure of a computer system. I'm leaving mine alone. No big deal to get in and turn the key one more notch to restart.
What I'm reading is that even some dealers are reprograming so it won't kill the engine when opening the door and the company that builds the remote start has directions on their website on reprograming.

I'm with you on this for now. I'll hold off until more people do this and get more feed back.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Total utter complete BS! I can't believe someone regurgitated that to you with a straight face.

The PATS system only checks the key ONCE within the first few seconds during start-up. Once started, PATS is no longer used at all until the next engine start cycle.

The "door open shutdown" is because of the ford My-Key system. It's making sure they key used is the one actually driving the truck (so that it can enforce limits for that specific programmed key). You can disable it.

Last edited by xciton; 12-22-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by xciton
Total utter complete BS! I can't believe someone regurgitated that to you with a straight face.

The PATS system only checks the key ONCE within the first few seconds during start-up. Once started, PATS is no longer used at all until the next engine start cycle.

The "door open shutdown" is because of the ford My-Key system. It's making sure they key used is the one actually driving the truck (so that it can enforce limits for that specific programmed key). You can disable it.
your absolutely correct xciton.....

Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 AM
The only drivers will be me and my wife so I don't see that I need to program a My-Key for limitations. And it would be nice to remote start without having to restart it everytime.

Have you guys reprogramed the remote start to disable the door open shutdown?

I've been reading on how to do it but still a little confused.

Quick Reply: What are the little antennae looking things over the rear view mirror?